Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM

458 posts, read 611,328 times

Advertisements

"Do people who pray understand the implied insult to others when they thank God for their lives after a tornado while standing next to a wife who lost her husband or a mother who lost her child? Why would their lives be worth saving in Gods eyes? I'm pretty sure they all prayed during the event. Puzzling and bizarre IMO. I've never understood the concept. Seems so selfish".

I thought this was interesting.

Are you referring to people who don't believe in God or prayer? because if there is no faith, I don't see a reason for insult or offense!

Also, interesting the phrase "worth saving in God's eyes" (as a person who profoundly believes in prayer and lost my baby girl, mother and father-to suicide- all in the same month over 12 years ago). I prayed before, during and after and He's answered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Do people who pray understand the implied insult to others when they thank God for their lives after a tornado while standing next to a wife who lost her husband or a mother who lost her child? Why would their lives be worth saving in Gods eyes? I'm pretty sure they all prayed during the event. Puzzling and bizarre IMO. I've never understood the concept. Seems so selfish.
Interesting application of the concept. I always laugh when I hear a head coach of a sports team thank God for the victory in the after game press meeting. By saying that, they are implying that they believe God wanted the other team to lose. This is hilarious. So both coaches prayed for victory. The winning coach now says "God is miraculous and answer the prayers of those who have faith", while the losing coach says "God works in mysterious ways and winning today was obviously not His will."

In the meantime, while these two coaches were praying for a victory, as if God gives a ten cent crap about something as petty as a sporting event, thousands of children around the globe are dying from starvation on a daily basis.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM

"In the meantime, while these two coaches are praying for victory, as if God gives a ten cent crap about something as petty as a sporting event, thousands of children around the globe are dying from starvation on a daily basis".

May I ask?

when/how did God reveal to you the things that He cares about and are you sure it was He?

If a youtube video was "leaked" of me shooing away my tear-stained child, (as I dutifully worked on whatever was important to me at the time), simply because he was upset that someone at school said his shirt didn't match his pants, or because he missed out on being on the math team by 1 point or he lost his favorite pen, I'd get flagged! A virtual cyber crucifiction as a mom. Yet, who gives a crap about a stupid pen?

Because my attention, comfort, help and affection should be reserved for the tears of a child who lost the other parent, or a pet, or just got leveled by the school bully??

It wouldn't happen of course, and is just an example but if I as a frail and fallible human can have compassion, care and concern of the simplest things I expect (and know) more of God!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Also, if I am on a "losing" team, let's say, I have learned to thank God for the thrill of the sport, whatever lessons He has revealed about the competition (at large, and in me), the character that it built, and a host of other things! He doesn't cease to exist or care for me because someone received something I wanted nor do I gloat for having received something someone else wanted!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Is god too so busy helping some ditzy broad find her keys, or some jock throw a stupid ball that he just can't find time to help a starving child.

Or............

Old 09-22-2012, 07:41 PM

To the above post.....smh

I agree it is a d@mn shame!!!

Instead of helping the starving in the land, (in their own little corner of the world [imagine if each person who is able were so...........caring!!]), many people spend hours whining and ******--!ng about what they themselves would argue are insignificant things as if food is going to magically fall from the heavens smack dab into the bellies of the hungry

Old 09-23-2012, 04:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah Arequipa . . . assuming again. The answer to whether or not prayer works is and must be in the eye of the supplicant. It cannot be assessed by anyone else without knowing for certain what was the ACTUAL (unconscious) need or needs behind the use of the prayer. Very little of what we do can be attributed to our conscious desires and direction, Arequipa. Obese people repeatedly using an ineffective "fat cream" while gaining weight do NOT continue to buy it at exorbitant prices because they actually think it will reduce their fat. I know you are not that naive' Arequipa.
But I am beginning to think that you are, Mystic mate. The analogy between those who delude themselves with Holy Grail 'Eat all you want and lose weight' diets and prayer should not need to be pointed out to you by me, chum.

The therapeutic advantages of prayer is nothing to do with whether God answered prayers or not, which is the point of the thread. Like meditation, the effect is noted; the cause is disputed.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
...why does one need insurance, go to a doctor, or buy a gun to protect oneself?
a more obvious question is

did the starving in africa forget to pray for a sandwich ?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, it seems to work for those people in the entertainment sector getting awards. 1/2 of them first and foremost are
thanking God.
Oh and let me add it seems to work for people who've survived through a fire, tornado, earthquake or hurricane. They are always thanking God for saving their lives. I'm not sure if they have an answer for those who didn't make it but most of the
time they just blame that on God wanting them to go early. It was his plan for others to die and for them to live.

I must say, it's confusing and I've yet to understand how people come to terms with the weight of it all. Do those thanking God for answered prayers when they just received an award and plenty of $$$$$ drive right past the homeless on their way to their home? Do they wonder if those homeless pray? Or why they're prayers aren't being answered? Or do they just go
home and donate to a charity and feel better?

Do people who pray understand the implied insult to others when they thank God for their lives after a tornado while standing next to a wife who lost her husband or a mother who lost her child? Why would their lives be worth saving in Gods eyes? I'm pretty sure they all prayed during the event. Puzzling and bizarre IMO. I've never understood the concept. Seems so selfish.
not selfish , arrogant and egotistical

Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Interesting application of the concept. I always laugh when I hear a head coach of a sports team thank God for the victory in the after game press meeting. By saying that, they are implying that they believe God wanted the other team to lose. This is hilarious. So both coaches prayed for victory. The winning coach now says "God is miraculous and answer the prayers of those who have faith", while the losing coach says "God works in mysterious ways and winning today was obviously not His will."

In the meantime, while these two coaches were praying for a victory, as if God gives a ten cent crap about something as petty as a sporting event, thousands of children around the globe are dying from starvation on a daily basis.
god lacks prioritys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality