Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times

Advertisements

Daniel 5:30-31 “ That very night Belshazzar, the Chaldean king, was killed. And Darius the Mede received the kingdom, being about sixty-two years old.” (NRSV)

Wasn’t it Cyrus the Persian who conquered the kingdom? Was there ever any such person as Darius the Mede?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I will sum-up my two points which are:

1) No NT writer has anything to say regarding this prophecy - I think this is very telling regarding what it actually means.
On a little side note, Shiloh. This is the SAME thing with the other big so-called prophecy some believers love to throw out there - the return of Israel to their ancestral homeland. Ever notice that there is not ONE clear word about a latter day return of the Jews to the land of Israel in one New Testament book after all the yapping about it in the Old Testament? The problem is not with the testaments. It's with the believers who WANT them to say what they WANT them to say. Case in point - this thread.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Eusebius posted:

Daniel's account might well refer to the "annointed "Menelaus was High Priest in Jerusalem from 171 BC to about 161 BC. He plundered the Temple. And he was "cut off" that is driven out.
The above is not what I said but I was quoting what AW said. I don't believe Daniel's account might well refer to Menelaus. My whole point is that it can't refer to him.

Quote:
This is what I (Eusebius wrote: >>"Might well" doesn't cut it. Menelaus was too late for the prophetic statement given by Daniel to be the Messiah.<<
Quote:
RESPONSE:
Quote:

May I suggest that you rethink your remark. Are you really saying that "Menelaus" (annointed high priest from171 to 161 BC) was too late for the prophetic statement given by Daniel to be the Messiah, but Jesus 30-33 AD (over 100 years later) wasn't "too late" to be the Messiah?.
That's exactly what I am saying that Menelaus was too late and he did not fulfill the prophetic statements as Jesus did. Jesus fulfilled the Daniel prophecy to the DAY.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
RESPONSE:

Yep. A lot of "annointed ones" got "cut off."

You did notice that Daniel 9:26 refers to "AN annointed one" not "THE annointed one."

But the most significant reason for not regarding the Book of Danial as "inspired" is the many historical errors it contains. Perhaps we should start listing examples.
Here is what 9:26 states:

Dan 9:26 After the sixty-two sevens, Messiah will be cut off, and there is no adjudication for Him. The city
and the holy place shall be laid in ruins with the other governor's coming; then its end is by an overflow,
and till the end of the war desolations will be decided."

It doesn't say "an anointed one." And actually it is THE MESSIAH:

4899 [e]
mā·šî·aḥ
מָשִׁ֖יחַ
the Messiah

Daniel 9:26 Biblos Interlinear Bible

Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Eusebius posted:

>>That's exactly what I am saying that Menelaus was too late and he did not fulfill the prophetic statements as Jesus did.<<

RESPONSE:

Lets see. Menelaus (c 160 BC) was "to late" but Jesus (c. 30 AD) wasn't too late???

>>Jesus fulfilled the Daniel prophecy to the DAY.<<

RESPONSE:

Evidence please.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 AM

DANIEL 11:45 “He (Antiochus IV) shall pitch his palatial tents between the sea and the beautiful holy mountain. Yet he shall come to his end, with no one to help him.” [NRSV]

But didn’t Antichus die suddenly in Tabae, Persia in 164 BC rather than in Israel?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Here is what 9:26 states:

Dan 9:26 After the sixty-two sevens, Messiah will be cut off, and there is no adjudication for Him. The city
and the holy place shall be laid in ruins with the other governor's coming; then its end is by an overflow,
and till the end of the war desolations will be decided."

It doesn't say "an anointed one." And actually it is THE MESSIAH:

4899 [e]
mā·šî·aḥ
מָשִׁ֖יחַ
the Messiah

Daniel 9:26 Biblos Interlinear Bible
No! saying that it is THE MESSIAH, particularly Jesus, is a post-hoc interpretation.

It is a common singular noun. A noun that is the name common to all members of a group or class of nouns (a prophet) as oppossed to a proper noun that names a specific member(s) of that group - therefore, 'an anointed one.' Or if you like 'a mashiah.'

See, another special pleading on the part of the absolutists.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
No! saying that it is THE MESSIAH, particularly Jesus, is a post-hoc interpretation.

It is a common singular noun. A noun that is the name common to all members of a group or class of nouns (a prophet) as oppossed to a proper noun that names a specific member(s) of that group - therefore, 'an anointed one.' Or if you like 'a mashiah.'

See, another special pleading on the part of the absolutists.
It is "the Messiah" not "a Messiah."

And even if it were "a Messiah" then Jesus fulfilled the prophetic even TO THE DAY.
It is you who are doing the special pleading. Actually, it's not even special, just specious.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Eusebius posted:

>>That's exactly what I am saying that Menelaus was too late and he did not fulfill the prophetic statements as Jesus did.<<

RESPONSE:

Lets see. Menelaus (c 160 BC) was "to late" but Jesus (c. 30 AD) wasn't too late???

>>Jesus fulfilled the Daniel prophecy to the DAY.<<

RESPONSE:

Evidence please.
Read this book:
THE COMING PRINCE: The Marvelous Prophecy of Daniel's Seventy Weeks Concerning the Antichrist: Sir Robert Anderson: 9781605200606: Amazon.com: Books

And yes, Menelaus was too late

Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is "the Messiah" not "a Messiah."

And even if it were "a Messiah" then Jesus fulfilled the prophetic even TO THE DAY.
It is you who are doing the special pleading. Actually, it's not even special, just specious.
Blah! Blah! You are just repeating yourself - the grammar is what it is - 'an anointed one' - a mashiah is a person anointed to perform a certain task - nothing neccesitates it to be Jesus. Sorry you have a problem accepting these facts. And I have read that book by Anderson - he is the king of special pleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality