Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't care what businesses put in their windows, Christian or not. If they wish to show their faith to others then fine. Just don't complain when a Muslim, Jew, Pagan, etc does the same thing. I personally feel that they do it to attract people to thier place of business more than anything else, even more so during the holidays.
Agreed on all counts. People are (and should be) free to display symbols of their faith on their private property or private businesses.

It's never bothered me.

I'm not even a believer in god(s) but I like seeing Christmas and other holiday designs and decorations...I think it is nice and helps get people in the spirit of giving and sharing which, in my opinion, is the main thing to consider during the season (really should be year-round, but most cultures have a Winter Feast or celebration during which they focus on these things.)

I really think most people of faith (any faith) are intelligent, compassionate, kind people.

I've never once been offended by someone wishing me a "Merry Christmas" or saying "God bless you" to me. I find it sweet. I just think: "How nice of them...what a nice thing to say..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I would much prefir to support those the believe as I do .
Making a display of their choosing gives me the choice to with hold or suport whom I wish .
I think it is a great idea , and should be encouraged vigorously .
If a person is vehimently against god, he should know whom he is supporting .
And vise versa both are fair and reasonable business practices I would encourage it .

Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
...If a person is vehimently against god...
I don't think I've ever met a person who fits this description.

Against god? The only people I can think of for whom this might hold true are Satanists--and I mean Satanists who literally believe in a Devil. I think the vast majority of that small group of people are pimply-faced metaheads under the age of 16.

Yes, there are other Satanists as in LaVey's Church of Satan, but they are a secular group; they do not doctrinally believe in God or Satan. They are just a peculiar brand of goofy humanists really.

If you mean people who don't believe in gods--or who don't believe in your god--then I don't think saying they are "against" god is an applicable term. They simply don't believe.

Kind of like not being a stamp collector doesn't make you against stamp collecting as a hobby.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I do not patronize businesses that advertise their faith.

I won't purchase items at Hobby Lobby/Sierra Trading Post/chik-fil-a because of their ostentatious religious stance.

I will not attend (or work at) religious schools/colleges.

I do not go to Catholic hospitals.

They have every right to advertise their religion, although some of them go too far and also try to impose it. I have every right to avoid them and not benefit them in any way with my patronage.
You got the right to make those choices in this country. Wonderful, isn't it?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
A business owner has a right to make any personal declaration he likes, in his promotional or advertising of his business. A business owner's sign can say Support Our Troops, or Go Red Sox, or an NRA logo or a Canadian flag during tourist season. They do it to get like-minded customers, while also risking a boycott by customers who don't share their allegiance or sympathies. If motels say "American-owned" on their letter signs, they can certainly say "Christian owned"..

There is a perception among the citizenry that Christians are inclined to be fair and honest in their dealings, and as long as that myth prevails, it is good business practice to be thought of as one of them.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Why do some store owners need to advertise their faith to get more customers?

I went to several diners, the owners put up a Jesus statue by the cashier and many people told them that they love it and will continue to come back. I remember working at Target, customers told me that they shop here because we have "merry Christmas" signs.
I never walk into them.
Every time in my long life that I've had dealings with someone who said they were christian, I've been swindled.
I'll not do that again.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Umm, to attract like minded folk and scare away atheists.

Jesus said we should hide our faith. Ever been to an In and Out Burger place? Great Burgers and Bible cites on the drink cups and french fry bags.

Honestly, if it bothers you don't go to those places. It's your choice and it is the right of the business to let you know their world view. So is the next step--desire of atheists- (after getting rid of religion from the public square) to get religion in the market place?
So, it's different when you complain about atheists (and others) not wanting public space used for christian displays, but it's okay when christians want their fables posted everywhere.

Do you not see the inconsistencies of your statements?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So, it's different when you complain about atheists (and others) not wanting public space used for christian displays, but it's okay when christians want their fables posted everywhere.

Do you not see the inconsistencies of your statements?
Do you not understand the concept of a private business doing what they want? Nobody would care if an atheist-owned company posted all sorts of idiotic anti-God displays all over their store. That's their right to do so. Likewise, if Hobby Lobby wants to play Christian music, why do you care? If you don't like it, don't shop there. It's that simple.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Jebus for Shoppers - Marketing their god thingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you not understand the concept of a private business doing what they want? Nobody would care if an atheist-owned company posted all sorts of idiotic anti-God displays all over their store. That's their right to do so. Likewise, if Hobby Lobby wants to play Christian music, why do you care? If you don't like it, don't shop there. It's that simple.
Do you not understand the concept of private property and public land?
I guess you didn't read my posts because I already said that i don't shop there.

Why would atheists have anything posted in their stores?
Why do christians, except as a marketing ploy?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
When these mercenary buggers reach the Judgement Seat they'll probably be sent to Hell for trying to make a buck off of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality