Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
There's an Asain Restraunt in Town that has a Hindu Altar
with food on it for the gods by the door as people come it.

I don't eat there.

So I guess that proves the point that Pagan & people of other faiths or lack of, are more tolerant then most Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM

476 posts, read 466,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd eat there without a second thought if the food was good.

In So Cal it's very common for shop owners to display signs of their faith. Christian, Hindu, Buddhist... whatever. If they have a good product at a good price they have my business. One of my favorite Japanese places has a Buddhist shrine surrounded by photos of John Wayne. I asked the owner about it once and he said he was a big John Wayne fan. He's a businessman who serves great noodles. Love to eat there.

I wouldn't be bothered eating at a restaurant that had a Hindu or Buddhist idol. It doesn't mean I'm paying respect to that god or anything. I would avoid a place if it displayed occultic or satanic symbols like an upside down cross.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So I guess that proves the point that Pagan & people of other faiths or lack of, are more tolerant then most Christians.
And how, exactly, does his statement prove that?

There might very well be a correlation between religion and tolerance ( be it positive or negative), but it's going to take a helluva lot more that a post on an internet forum to establish it.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
And how, exactly, does his statement prove that?

There might very well be a correlation between religion and tolerance ( be it positive or negative), but it's going to take a helluva lot more that a post on an internet forum to establish it.

Look at the other posts here on C/D. Yes, his post might not proof that ALL Christians are intolerant of people of other faiths but going by what's posted on here by some Christians it's not looking good for thier camp.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Look at the other posts here on C/D. Yes, his post might not proof that ALL Christians are intolerant of people of other faiths but going by what's posted on here by some Christians it's not looking good for thier camp.
Sorry, but random posts on the internet are not statistical data. The posts here aren't even proof that Christians (or atheists, pagans, Jews, ect.) in general are prone to do anything.

Even if you took this site as the total population, only a small percentage of people post in this section.
Of course, you're free to see what ever you like to see.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Well I think the best to advertise one's faith is to NOT advertise it.

A sincere honest to God (and man) faith will show by your actions, your words and how you treat everyone. Not necessareily by the relics, signs or pictures displayed on your desk, door, or t-shirt.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
Sorry, but random posts on the internet are not statistical data. The posts here aren't even proof that Christians (or atheists, pagans, Jews, ect.) in general are prone to do anything.

Even if you took this site as the total population, only a small percentage of people post in this section.
Of course, you're free to see what ever you like to see.

I don't care about polls in the real world or on here but here or outside of this fourm many if not most Christians feel the same way as he does. Polls or stats don't count in the real world, just one reason why I never bother with them. They can be fixed not to mention that people are not always honest with those who take such polls.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM

In my neck of the woods, you see it just about everywhere. Service trucks have crosses, fish, and Bible verses painted on them. Most of the stores do something similar. Just about every company I've worked for here has had a mission statement that included verses about being stewards for God.

I know atheist shop owners who do it just to make sure they're getting "their share" of customers. And that strikes me as far more dishonest than the Christians doing it.

I could always refuse to patronize their businesses, but then I would be unable to buy food or anything else.

Most of the Jewish shop owners I know just put up a mezuzah on the doorpost.

As long as they're not preaching or trying to convert me, I really don't care what they do in their stores.

Last edited by JB from NC; 12-30-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Many asian owned businesses I have been to, have this - good for them. I could care less.
Well, I couldn't.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I don't care about polls in the real world or on here but here or outside of this fourm many if not most Christians feel the same way as he does. Polls or stats don't count in the real world, just one reason why I never bother with them. They can be fixed not to mention that people are not always honest with those who take such polls.
Statistical evidence doesn't count, but posts by anonymous people on the internet do?

Well, carry on then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality