Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that there is a correlation between overall intelligence and Belief in God?
Yes 32 66.67%
No 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM

66 posts, read 82,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
This is just repeating the same old unthinking dogma.

Here's a question: What 'sins or 'crimes' have innocent newborn babies committed?

There is an age of accountability, I don't know the answer to your question really, but know that our human nature seems to gravitate toward sin. Like I said, there is an age when we are accountable for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 PM

66 posts, read 82,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Your god sounds like a jealous, abusive boyfriend. Thanks for reminding me why I am a non-believer.

How does He abuse you? He gave you life, air to breath, your senses to enjoy, plenty of gifts, His creation to experience. He wants you to enjoy all of eternity and has a wonderful plan for you both here now and for ever.

Last edited by graffix; 02-16-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,701,834 times
Wouldn't there be a correlation in economic class too

Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,087,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
Sure there is a correlation: The fool has said in his heart, "there is no God"... Psalm 14:1

I'm new to these forums, but are there atheists here? If so, why are you on a religious forum? Not that I mind, I love atheists, so much so that I don't mind offending you to tell you about Jesus and how can have eternal life though Him.

The fool has written that people think with their hearts as the ancient Egyptians believed...
these theists are corrupt, their deeds are vile, there is none among them who do good (except in lust after rewards).

The fool is the atheists who keep those words locked up in their mind, they are only hurting themselves, and allowing themselves to be oppressed by those who have replaced the pagans.

So... there is no atheist who does good?

“No man will say, "There is no God" 'till he is so hardened in sin that it has
become his interest that there should be none to call him to account.”
Matthew Henry

“There seem to be only two kinds of people: Those who think that metaphors are facts, and those who know that they are not facts. Those who know they are not facts are what we call "atheists," and those who think they are facts are "religious." Which group really gets the message?”
Joseph Campbell

“It should be added that, in general, it is the character of every metaphysical and theological argument to seek to explain one absurdity by another.”
Michael Bakunin

“Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything.
Robert A. Heinlein

“Modernist discourse [...] incorporates semantic devices - such as the labeling of theism as 'religion' and naturalism as 'science' - that work to prevent a dangerous debate over fundamental assumptions from breaking out in the open.”
Phillip E. Johnson

“The whole war between the atheist and the theist comes down to this: the atheist believes a 'what' created the universe; the theist believes a 'who' created the universe.”
Criss Jami

Quote:
In the Brahmajāla Sutta, the Buddha describes how a brahmā may come by the mistaken belief that he is the “Great Brahmā, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, the All-Powerful, the Lord, the Maker and Creator, Ruler, Appointer, and Orderer, Father of All that Have Been and Shall Be.” The Buddha sees this delusion as an natural consequence of the particular way the universe happens to expand after periods of contraction. During this expansionary phase one of the beings residing in the Ābhāsvara realm (which corresponds to the second jhāna) is reborn alone into the lower Brahmā realm (corresponding to the first jhāna) through exhaustion of his accumulated merit. Forgetting his former lives, he imagines having come into existence spontaneously and without cause. Brahmās are long-lived beings and over the eons this solitary brahmā becomes lonely and wishes for company. When others come to co-inhabit his space through the natural process of rebirth, the brahmā mistakenly believes his wish for company made it happen. This is the start of his delusional grandiosity. The gods within the Buddhist cosmology are not omniscient, and they apparently need Buddhas to help straighten themselves out.

~Theism | The Existential Buddhist
Quote:
For the choir director. A Psalm of David (Muhammad).

1The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds;
There is no one who does good.

2The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men
To see if there are any who understand,
Who seek after God.

3They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good, not even one.

4Do all the workers of wickedness not know,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call upon the Lord?

5There they are in great dread,
For God is with the righteous generation.

6You would put to shame the counsel of the afflicted,
But the LORD is his refuge.

7Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!
When the LORD restores His captive people,
Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.
Quote:
Psalm 15 of Muhammad (a.k.a David) a.k. a Beloved

O LORD, who may abide in Your tent?
Who may dwell on Your holy hill?

2He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness,
And speaks truth in his heart.

3He does not slander with his tongue,
Nor does evil to his neighbor,
Nor takes up a reproach against his friend;

4In whose eyes a reprobate is despised,
But who honors those who fear the LORD;
He swears to his own hurt and does not change;

5He does not put out his money at interest,
Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things will never be shaken.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,418,776 times
Quote:
There is an age of accountability, I don't know the answer to your question really, but know that our human nature seems to gravitate toward sin. Like I said, there is an age when we are accountable for ourselves.
So why are many innocent babies 'punished' by being born with deformities? They have not 'sinned'.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
How does He abuse you? He gave you life, air to breath, your senses to enjoy, plenty of gifts, His creation to experience. He wants you to enjoy all of eternity and has a wonderful plan for you both here now and for ever.
And if you don't worship him or believe in him, or 'obey' him or 'love' him, or follow all his 'rules', you are tortured for eternity in hell.

Yep, sounds like an abusive controlling boyfriend.

Are you going to talk about 'free-will' next?

What's 'free' about it?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,087,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
And if you don't worship him or believe in him, or 'obey' him or 'love' him, you are tortured for eternity in hell.

Yep, sounds like an abusive controlling boyfriend.

Are you going to talk about 'free-will' next?

What's 'free' about it?
The fact that in their mythology it is not free but it is loaned out forcibly with a lot of fine print.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM

33,601 posts, read 37,242,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The fact that in their mythology it is not free but it is loaned out forcibly with a lot of fine print.
The only good part of it is that there is no contract to sign...One can leave by exercising genuine free will.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, Forced conversion by swordpoint (or gunpoint) is not exactly 'free will' either.

Without the forced conversion and the Roman Empire making it the State religion, Christianity would not have spread so far and would probably not exist today.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,613,835 times
I am surprised at the poll results. I guess I am naive in thinking that people practice what they preach. The so called champions of logic and reason have shown once again how illogical and unreasonable their thinking processes are.

Statistics of certain things can be true, while others will be as biased as the person creating their criteria.

Atheists believe Santa to be analogous to God. So I will use something they can identify with, in my proving them and the "yes" people wrong

How can a lack of belief make you smarter?

Lets say we have a child who believes in Santa and is given a test to show his/her IQ. Then we tell them that Santa isn't real. Will the child's IQ instantly go down? Of course not. In the same way that if an atheist converts to Christianity, their IQ won't go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality