Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times

Advertisements

[quote=sean98125;1859698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

It could be that our definition and understanding of "omnipotence" isn't really representative of the nature of God, though.
Agreed. Why then do theists define God as being omnipotent? Why use an illogical term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
wow
i love america everybody gets to express anything and anyway they want.
i kind of feel you are being disrespectful of my religion friend.
do me a favor dont talk that way around muslims bout allah
I can't do you that favor.
All Americans are free to disrespect any and all religions.
I fully encourage everyone to disrespect all gods - where would we be if we could not?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
[quote=nvxplorer;1859748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Agreed. Why then do theists define God as being omnipotent? Why use an illogical term?
It's probably as close as we can get. I think it's only illogical if you try to define it as something more concrete than how most of the faithful would define it. For us, it would be entirely believable that God could to create an immovable object and then move it.

Doesn't the idea of an immovable object fly in the face of logic ?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
[quote=sean98125;1859802]
Quote:

It's probably as close as we can get. I think it's only illogical if you try to define it as something more concrete than how most of the faithful would define it. For us, it would be entirely believable that God could to create an immovable object and then move it.
Then you would believe in nonsense. If one can believe in nonsense, then any and all beliefs are possible. Such a mindset would render belief itself as meaningless. If belief is a reflection of truth, and anything can be believed, then everything becomes truth. If everything can be true, then the idea of truth loses its meaning.

Quote:
Doesn't the idea of an immovable object fly in the face of logic ?
No. The idea of an immovable object is clearly defined and understood. There is nothing illogical about an object that cannot be moved. Whether such an object can exist is another story, but we're talking about God and omnipotence, so we must consider all possibilities when examining such claims.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Quote:
Then you would believe in nonsense. If one can believe in nonsense, then any and all beliefs are possible. Such a mindset would render belief itself as meaningless. If belief is a reflection of truth, and anything can be believed, then everything becomes truth. If everything can be true, then the idea of truth loses its meaning.
Any belief is indeed possible, from belief in the supernatural to belief that all things are measurable by human logic.

Maybe my belief system is, as you say, entirely illogical and nonsensical. If I die and face oblivion then my life still will have been spent reaching out and helping the vulnerable, being concerned about social justice, and celebrating a message of joy and hope in a very dark world. Even if the only actual resurrection of Christ that happened was the resurrection of the Body of Christ in the church, I'm still going to keep being a part of that body for the time I'm here because I think it represents a fundamental message that the world needs to hear.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 823 times
In the scripture God says He hates human sacrifice. The heathens practiced (canaanites) human sacrifice, and God called it an abomination. How then would God sacrifice Jesus, His only begotten son,
and do something He hated? In the scriptures when animal sacrifices, offerings were made, when God accepted them they were consumed by fire. Read Lev 16: 1-26; Lev 18:21; 2Kings 17:31; Deuteronomy 12: 30-32. VERY IMPORTANT Hebrews 10: 5-10; Hebrews 5: 5-10. God gave Jesus all power and authority, He forgave sinners, healed the sick, and raised Lazarus from the dead. He already
had power over life and death, and the authority to forgive mans sin. Why would He have to die? What
would be accomplished in His death, that He had not already done? MATTHEW 28:18-20; MATTHEW 11:25; LUKE 10:21. Read 2 Thessalonians 2 (2:10-14). John 8:21-32. John 16:12-16. Jesus came into the world and ascended to His Father God, just as Enoch and Elijah were taken up. John 17:1-17 (John 17:12) The son of perdition(Judas) that the scripture might be fulfilled. Pray open your eyes, you figure it out, see the truth.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
The true Creator of the universe doesn't need ridiculous blood sacrifices or flawed holy books to speak for him/her/it. The Bible and Christianity are man-made farces. It's as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality