Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM

169 posts, read 632,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Atheists don't "hate" God, nor see ourselves as gods, nor do we deny authority (or any of the other things we're accused of). We don't believe because of one simple reason: It doesn't make any sense.
Exactly. No one can force a belief on themselves if their brain is simply unable to accept the underlying premise of that belief as plausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Exactly. No one can force a belief on themselves if their brain is simply unable to accept the underlying premise of that belief as plausible.
Exactly. And we Christians believe in our underlying premise.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM

169 posts, read 632,871 times
Quote:
I mean love makes no sense unless you believe in it.
If you choose not to believe in love, love will indeed make no sense.
I think love is different, because there's some argument that there's a physiological component to what humans perceive as "love". In other words love may not be entirely 100% an emotional thing (even though we categorize it as such). Look at how many people confuse love with lust, or how the line between the two is so often blurred. Do people likewise confuse or blur the line between belief in God (emotional) and a physical reaction (like pleasure or pain)?

I do believe that not all people are emotionally capable of feeling what we call love though....sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently.

And I most certainly do believe that many people say and do many things that make NO sense at all, as a result of the emotion that we call love! And some of those things can be very unpleasant and irrational indeed.

Come to think of it, religious belief has inspired just as many senseless and unpleasant acts (as well as noble and altrustic and caring ones) as love has.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
First of all, how was it a sacrifice when jesus was only subjected to a few days of pain, and then immediately zipped back up to heaven to be with god? He 'gave his only begotten son'... oh really? It seems he sent him off for a short while, and what is that time to a being who is supposedly eternal?

The hours jesus spent (or who knows, maybe didn't spend) on the cross are a mere SHADOW of the pain going on all over the earth. A burn victim, a machete amputee, a molested child - may suffer a lifetime of anguish, and yet we're supposed to be impressed by a few days of torture?

The ideology behind this really confuses me... it assumes all sorts of ideas, all of which seems to be fallacious.
Do you have kids? I ask because if you did even a minute of pain is too much to willingly subject your own child to, even if you know you will have them back.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Astrantia
Quote:
Come to think of it, religious belief has inspired just as many senseless and unpleasant acts (as well as noble and altrustic and caring ones) as love has.
That is because there are 2 types of love:
1. Selfish love = you love no one else but yourself. You will help others if helping others makes you feel better. As soon as it stops making you feel good about yourself you stop helping (others). You only look out for no.1 (yourself).
2 Unselfish Love = you love others as much as you love yourself. You help others because they need help. When the going gets tough you become tougher. You would even sacrifice yourself if it means that the people you love will survive.

Hitler for example falls in category number 1 but not in category number 2.
And Jesus and Ghandi fall in category number 2.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Maternal instinct is strong. It is a survival instinct as well. Here, it is the species, not the individual, that this instinct serves to protect.

Surely you don't claim that God suffers out of a need for survival?
For the record, I don't fish...no bait intended.

Perhaps in some big book of educated guesses, maternal instinct is defined as a need to keep our race intact. I don't see it that way. I also don't see the willingness to die for my child as a maternal instinct. I am sure that any Father would also so the same. This is a parental instinct! And there are many feelings/experiences that only a person who is also a parent can even try to comprehend. This was my reasoning when asking if you were a parent. There is never any underlying meaning in my words.

As a Christian and as a parent, I see a parallel between my relationship with my children and my relationship with my heavenly Father. Similarities that are hard to deny.

If you would feel more comfortable answering my questing by DM, I am still curious to know the answer. I see it only as a way of understanding you better.

Thanks.

Warmest regards,
Weather...

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Astrantia That is because there are 2 types of love:
1. Selfish love = you love no one else but yourself. You will help others if helping others makes you feel better. As soon as it stops making you feel good about yourself you stop helping (others). You only look out for no.1 (yourself).
2 Unselfish Love = you love others as much as you love yourself. You help others because they need help. When the going gets tough you become tougher. You would sacrifice yourself if it means that the people you love survive.

Hitler for example falls in category number 1 but not in category number 2.
Ok I like your definitions...but can you please fill me in on who Hitler helped? I'm not picking on you, I really don't know.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Do you have kids? I ask because if you did even a minute of pain is too much to willingly subject your own child to, even if you know you will have them back.
This seems to be a much avoided question.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by irishmom
Quote:
Ok I like your definitions...but can you please fill me in on who Hitler helped? I'm not picking on you, I really don't know.
Simple, Hitler might be totally evil but he isn't stupid. He knows that he can't conquer the world on his own. Germany was stuck in an economic depression (think 1930; the great crash). So Hitler only helped the Germans by getting their economy on track so they would obey him. So basically by helping the Germans he helped himself into power.

Don't worry I'm hard to be picked on.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by irishmomSimple, Hitler might be totally evil but he isn't stupid. He knows that he can't conquer the world on his own. Germany was stuck in an economic depression (think 1930; the great crash). So Hitler only helped the Germans by getting their economy on track so they would obey him. So basically by helping the Germans he helped himself into power.

Don't worry I'm hard to be picked on.
Ok got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality