Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
That's why alot of people never see quertyfuzz. They don't have faith, and are not willing to take the risks. They'd rather hang onto their cash then see quertyfuzz, who will immediately and abundantly give them more than they ever dreamed of. And so, they never understand what quertyfuzz is and deny its existence.
These are the words of a con-artist.

Bait-and-switch schemes work the same way. At least a bait-and-switch has a real diamond to present as evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 02:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It is what believers attempt when trying to explain the non-verbal feelings and experiences we have as part of our faith. It is indeed fruitless to explain them perfectly in words since the experience itself is non-verbal. Human language only has so much capacity to explain things, and its not logical to assume that various combinations of 26 letters have the power to describe every aspect of existence.

I can't explain in words what I feel when I look at my daughter laughing as she plays in a fountain. I can come close, but unless you have had a similar experience you really aren't going to understand it. Other parents, though, will get it right away. It's the same thing with faith.
This isn't what you've been saying, however. You haven't been saying you're at a loss for words. You've been offering explanations that defy logic.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
These are the words of a con-artist.

Bait-and-switch schemes work the same way. At least a bait-and-switch has a real diamond to present as evidence.
Yet, if I wasn't a con artist....some day you would find out that you had been missing out. Only then, it probably would be too late...

So.... hand over the cash!!

Quote:
It is what believers attempt when trying to explain the non-verbal feelings and experiences we have as part of our faith. It is indeed fruitless to explain them perfectly in words since the experience itself is non-verbal. Human language only has so much capacity to explain things, and its not logical to assume that various combinations of 26 letters have the power to describe every aspect of existence.

I can't explain in words what I feel when I look at my daughter laughing as she plays in a fountain. I can come close, but unless you have had a similar experience you really aren't going to understand it. Other parents, though, will get it right away. It's the same thing with faith.
Exactly.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:

Ill second that exactly Cg81..

Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This isn't what you've been saying, however. You haven't been saying you're at a loss for words. You've been offering explanations that defy logic.
I'm still not saying I'm at a loss for words. I'm saying that your reliance solely on words is limiting your understand of what we are saying.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
Default an unbelievable fairy tale

JakeDog wrote:
God loves us so much that he will burn us in pain eternally unless we accept one story among many as the absolute truth in our finite lifetimes. Any god that would create hell for ANYONE is a sadistic monster. And there is no logical reason why acceptance of Jesus is required to be "forgiven." If you attached strings to forgiving someone, you are not really forgiving them at all, you are extorting them.
That rings true for me. While I have the utmost respect for Jesus Christ as an enlightened human being and I cannot begin to fathom the pain he must have endured on that cross, Christianity which he had nothing to do with is IMO an unbelievable fairy tale.

blessings..Franco

Old 10-24-2007, 03:30 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by arguy1973
Quote:
so you are saying love is a belief?
No love is instinctual. It is as instinctive as the need to avoid pain.
Learning that God=Love is a belief that can be (self)taught.
The trinity is a doctrine which cannot be selftaught, it has to be taught by others.
Personally, I do not believe that Jesus is God.
But I sincirely believe that Jesus is the way to God.

Christians believe in Christ (God=Jesus) I do not. I do not believe that God impregnated Mary through an immaculate conception, although I do believe that Mary gave birth to Jesus.
To me Jesus is a 'normal' man like Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. It doesn't matter to me who Jesus' father is.
I am not interested in breed.

And I do believe that Jesus sacrificed himself, because he would not worship any other god but God=Love.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM

169 posts, read 632,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
forgiveness is available..its free..but it does require asking for it..

and for a more "intelligible" explantation..Astrantia..Ill let someone else do it

Why Did Jesus Have to Die?
Sorry arguy, that site lost credibility with me as soon as I read this line:

"This means that all sin must be judged according to the moral law of God and the universe. We can no more defy this law and live than we can defy the law of gravity by jumping out of an airplane without a parachute."

Anyone who seriously equates the existance of an observable, provable, immutable physical law (gravity) with the existance of a subjective so-called moral "law" of a being whose very existance cannot even be proven .... is starting their argument from a seriously flawed premise.

There is no such thing as a "moral law of the universe". I've read some ludicrous assertions in my time but that one has to be in the Top Ten.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
First of all, how was it a sacrifice when jesus was only subjected to a few days of pain, and then immediately zipped back up to heaven to be with god? He 'gave his only begotten son'... oh really? It seems he sent him off for a short while, and what is that time to a being who is supposedly eternal?

What kind of sacrifice was that? God knew exactly what would happen, and knew that jesus would be right back. He didn't send jesus to hell for eternity, he reserves that 'sacrifice' for us humans, his less favored children.

Secondly, god could make a billion christs, and sacrifice them all, so what makes jesus so special?

Lastly, god makes the rules, so why is it some big sacrifice that he sends his 'son' to earth for a few decades, has him killed, and promptly brought back to heaven? He could have just said 'eh, ok you're all forgiven.' Who would argue with him?

The hours jesus spent (or who knows, maybe didn't spend) on the cross are a mere SHADOW of the pain going on all over the earth. A burn victim, a machete amputee, a molested child - may suffer a lifetime of anguish, and yet we're supposed to be impressed by a few days of torture?

The ideology behind this really confuses me... it assumes all sorts of ideas, all of which seems to be fallacious.
Why is it of any difference to you. What right do you have to ridicule the single most important part of chrstiandom. If you choose not to believe, well then good luck with that. It seems that militant atheist are more concerned about religion than the supposedly crazy christians.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Sorry arguy, that site lost credibility with me as soon as I read this line:

"This means that all sin must be judged according to the moral law of God and the universe. We can no more defy this law and live than we can defy the law of gravity by jumping out of an airplane without a parachute."

Anyone who seriously equates the existance of an observable, provable, immutable physical law (gravity) with the existance of a subjective so-called moral "law" of a being whose very existance cannot even be proven .... is starting their argument from a seriously flawed premise.

There is no such thing as a "moral law of the universe". I've read some ludicrous assertions in my time but that one has to be in the Top Ten.
all depends on what one believes is a truth..I say that the Bible is truth and everything else must prove itself against the Bible or it is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality