Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Are you claiming God no longer exists?
I hit enter before I should have..God is a spirit..my belief is that while his physical body was indeed dead..his spirit was very much alive..and according to the Bible while he was dead
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

This scripture is quite blatant about the fact that Jesus went to the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights

1 peter 3:18..
18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,
19 through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison
20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,

This scripture says that Jesus preached to disobedient spirits in prison who died before the flood of Noah.
Although I myself do not quite understand everything in this verse, It does make sense that when Jesus defeated death, he could have proclaimed his victory to those in Hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I hit enter before I should have..God is a spirit..my belief is that while his physical body was indeed dead..his spirit was very much alive..and according to the Bible while he was dead
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

This scripture is quite blatant about the fact that Jesus went to the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights

18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,
20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,

This scripture says that Jesus preached to disobedient spirits in prison who died before the flood of Noah.
Although I myself do not quite understand everything in this verse, It does make sense that when Jesus defeated death, he could have proclaimed his victory to those in Hell
Good points, arguy!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post

Is that a yes or a no?

Are you defining death as the cessation of existence? If not, then, as I mentioned, I could claim that I died when my fingers were amputated. You seem to have separated spirit from body, and claim that the body has died. That's fine, but you cannot then claim that Jesus as a being died. My fingers died when they met the blade of a table saw, but I am still alive. I could say that I sacrificed my fingers, but I cannot say that I sacrificed my life. If I were a god, I would simply create myself new fingers ex-nihilo.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Good points, arguy!
No offense; I'm sincerely interested. I notice a lot of backslapping among members, almost invariably between believers. What is the purpose of these "attaboys?"

Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
No offense; I'm sincerely interested. I notice a lot of backslapping among members, almost invariably between believers. What is the purpose of these "attaboys?"
I let him know that what he said explained it very well... and I had to do it in public because for some reason I couldn't rep him!

To shed further light on this complicated subject:
because he said something which I agreed with, I agreed. If he would have said something I wouldn't have agreed with, I wouldn't have agreed.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Quote:
My sticking point is exactly what I have written: An omnipotent being cannot sacrifice anything. Jesus - an omnipotent being - cannot sacrifice his life. It doesn't matter whether you use the archaic meaning or the modern expanded meaning of "sacrifice."
But he can become a sacrificial lamb by taking on the sins of the world unto himself. And as the son of God he has the authority to take on those sins and redeem them so that we don't have to pay for them individually.

God isn't the one who sacrificed Jesus - humanity sacrificed him. God didn't lash him or put the crown of thorns on his head or pound the nails into his flesh. That was us.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Is that a yes or a no?

Are you defining death as the cessation of existence? If not, then, as I mentioned, I could claim that I died when my fingers were amputated. You seem to have separated spirit from body, and claim that the body has died. That's fine, but you cannot then claim that Jesus as a being died. My fingers died when they met the blade of a table saw, but I am still alive. I could say that I sacrificed my fingers, but I cannot say that I sacrificed my life. If I were a god, I would simply create myself new fingers ex-nihilo.
and im sincerly doing my best to explain of course I believe God exists...I believe God raised him (Jesus) from the dead on the third day..just as the Bible says and now he sits on his throne....Jesus pure blood was our sacrifice..the blood of Jesus is what sets us free..he was without sin..I guess I just dont or this hasnt ever been a thought to me...on the if and spirit and body questions...I just belief that Jesus was Gods son..he bore all our sins on the Cross..he phyically died..dead..his humanly body died..but I also believe we ALL have souls..and when we die..they are gonna go somewhere..but for Jesus..he defeated death..in his spirit form..

Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Quote:
100% is defined as "in totality." Saying that something is 100% this and 100% something else is nonsensical.
I am 100% an individual, 100% a father, and 100% a husband.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I accept that Jesus was a god. his life (was) sacrificed (for)my life
...and, with a little minor editing, I agree with you too! attaboy!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I am 100% an individual, 100% a father, and 100% a husband.
Father, husband and individual are not mutually exclusive. God and man are. A fruit can be 100% apple and 100% granny smith. It cannot be 100% apple and 100% peach. In the same sense, a being cannot be 100% omnipotent and 100% non-omnipotent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality