Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Yes, but it is God's dumb rules that Jesus has to save people from. God is preoccupied with sexuality and other petty things one would imagine wouldn't bother a god. Even murder doesn't make sense for God to be worried about if there truly is everlasting life- our lives are not even a millisecond compared to eternity- eternity almost makes our brief lives valueless, and in return, everything that occurs in them would semmingly be valueless in comparison to the eternal lives we have "after death". Yet, god requires us to determine within our very short lives that "jesus" (as opposed to all the other equally plausible religons) is real (otherwise we are punished eternally for the very infinite crime of not choosing jesus as the ONE truth based on little to no evidence). Sorry, but the xianity story, to me, turns god into a petty sadistic monster.
I guess I just fail to see how one views God as a sadistic monster..I see everything you said..but the flip side..God is preoccupied with US..his creation..he loves us..he loved us so much he stepped out of heaven..for both of us...and became man..he didnt come to earth to beat people over the head for sinning..or be a merciless tyrant..no..he came because he wants us all to be with him forever in heaven...and Jesus is that way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Would a sadistic monster choose to be born in the most humble of circumstances to the most modest of families and then preach a message of tolerance?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess I just fail to see how one views God as a sadistic monster..I see everything you said..but the flip side..God is preoccupied with US..his creation..he loves us..he loved us so much he stepped out of heaven..for both of us...and became man..he didnt come to earth to beat people over the head for sinning..or be a merciless tyrant..no..he came because he wants us all to be with him forever in heaven...and Jesus is that way..
God loves us so much that he will burn us in pain eternally unless we accept one story among many as the absolute truth in our finite lifetimes. Any god that would create hell for ANYONE is a sadistic monster. And there is no logical reason why acceptance of Jesus is required to be "forgiven." If you attached strings to forgiving someone, you are not really forgiving them at all, you are extorting them.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
God loves us so much that he will burn us in pain eternally unless we accept one story among many as the absolute truth in our finite lifetimes. Any god that would create hell for ANYONE is a sadistic monster. And there is no logical reason why acceptance of Jesus is required to be "forgiven." If you attached strings to forgiving someone, you are not really forgiving them at all, you are extorting them.
extortion..thats not what Christ is all about my friend..not at all..Christianity is above love..the love of the father (God) for us..God doesnt "twist" our arm to make us love him.
If one doesnt believe that they have ever sinned or come fallen short, then I can see why it would seem illogical..

Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Quote:
That's only one interpretation of Hell, though. The ancient texts could also be seen to support the idea of Hell as the death of the soul. Just obliteration upon death rather than eternal life.

I also think that redemption requires a lot more than simply accepting Jesus. I think it has to do with a way of living that brings you closer to God and to others. Accepting Jesus means accepting and living by his teachings.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
That's only one interpretation of Hell, though. The ancient texts could also be seen to support the idea of Hell as the death of the soul. Just obliteration upon death rather than eternal life.
When I die, this is exactly what I want.

i don't need an eternity in the clouds, 80 years on earth is plenty for me.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
extortion..thats not what Christ is all about my friend..not at all..Christianity is above love..the love of the father (God) for us..God doesnt "twist" our arm to make us love him.
If one doesnt believe that they have ever sinned or come fallen short, then I can see why it would seem illogical..
I can see falling short of perfection. I cannot see be worthy of burning and punishment (eternally no less). And what kind of gift comes with strings attached? If God truly loved, there would be no need to "accept" jesus as a reality. Love me and believe in Jesus or else you are tortured is extortion.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I can see falling short of perfection. I cannot see be worthy of burning and punishment (eternally no less). And what kind of gift comes with strings attached? If God truly loved, there would be no need to "accept" jesus as a reality. Love me and believe in Jesus or else you are tortured is extortion.
how do you see it as having strings attached?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
how do you see it as having strings attached?
You have to buy into a belief in Jesus. If I want to forgive someone, I forgive them. I don't say it is contingent upon their belief of Dracula.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,277,938 times
Moderator cut: Good afternoon all! Just a gentle June reminder to remain respectful of all who come here to post on this thread...It's gotten a bit dicey at times, and I don't want to have to close it as I think everyone's opinions and ideas are valid and have a place, but it's about HOW you say what you say...Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality