Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The concepts of omnipotence and sacrifice do not need to be experienced. They are fully understood. The Trinity is a rather odd concept that defies logic.
I would agree..it does defy logic..the logic of man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
No. It is a Christian belief that Jesus, who is believed to be God, suffered. My line of reasoning refutes that notion as nonsensical.
I understand. But I still don't see why a suffering God is illogical

Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
yes..he was both..Jesus..on earth=God and man..God in heaven= God..we are getting back to the trinity here..
A number cannot be both positive and negative at the same time, and a being cannot be both omnipotent and non-omnipotent at the same time. We've gone over this already. You can choose to believe in logical impossibilities, but they are still logically impossible.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
A number cannot be both positive and negative at the same time, and a being cannot be both omnipotent and non-omnipotent at the same time. We've gone over this already. You can choose to believe in logical impossibilities, but they are still logically impossible.
yes true they do defy logic..

Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I understand. But I still don't see why a suffering God is illogical
I already explained that. I'll try again.

Suffering is a human instinct that warns of danger. Humans are fragile. We can be harmed and can die. This is the function of suffering. We have something to lose, namely, our lives. Again, this is what ties suffering to the human experience. Suffering implies danger, impending loss of life or limb.

An omnipotent being, on the other hand, cannot die nor be harmed. An omnipotent deity has nothing to lose. Therefore, a god cannot suffer.

We must be constantly aware of the language we use, and the meaning of that language. For example, if I say that God is a sinner, you would tell me that God, by definition, cannot sin. The same holds true with gods and suffering. A god cannot suffer, by the definitions of those words.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
yes true they do defy logic..
Which is why I reject such beliefs.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Quote:
That's why we Christians call it a mystery, and why we focus on the message and meaning behind the crucifixion rather than getting wrapped up in semantic reductionism.

Pure logic can only go so far. Numbers are incapable of describing things that aren't quantifiable.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
We must be constantly aware of the language we use, and the meaning of that language. For example, if I say that God is a sinner, you would tell me that God, by definition, cannot sin. The same holds true with gods and suffering. A god cannot suffer, by the definitions of those words.
But not according to how Christians understand the nature of God. You keep trying to define what we believe based on your understanding of the terms we use. The nature of God isn't contained in a few dozen words in Websters, and it isn't limited by human understanding of what is and isn't possible.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
I already explained that. I'll try again.

Suffering is a human instinct that warns of danger. Humans are fragile. We can be harmed and can die. This is the function of suffering. We have something to lose, namely, our lives. Again, this is what ties suffering to the human experience. Suffering implies danger, impending loss of life or limb.

An omnipotent being, on the other hand, cannot die nor be harmed. An omnipotent deity has nothing to lose. Therefore, a god cannot suffer.

Why do you presume that an all powerful and universal being is incapable of suffering? If a being that made all the rules, chose to suffer, why couldnt it suffer?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Why do you presume that an all powerful and universal being is incapable of suffering? If a being that made all the rules, chose to suffer, why couldnt it suffer?
Because his definition of the word "god" won't allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality