Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 07:50 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i am asking because some people decide that there can't be a god when bad things happen. can someone elaborate either pro or con? i don't even know if there is a god but if there is then why do we think god is all about good and love and get upset with god (if there is a god) when bad things happen.
why/how have we all been conditioned to think that god is all about good things? i am just looking for feedback as to how this (our ideas about god=good) happened.
Why shouldn't God let bad things happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 07:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
its not really that. it more of if, it is what some say it is, couldn't it change how we perceive suffering?

why not make us like an Oswald episode?

Old 12-23-2019, 08:12 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So if you, as a mere human, saw something bad happening that you could do something about...you'd just let it happen?

Old 12-24-2019, 06:30 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
from and engineering side:

can you have good without bad?
yes. of course.

nothing to do with engineering.
everything to do with awareness.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:33 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes. of course.

If I am reading Arach correctly, I would guess he is not talking about some specific person, where yes, awareness can make a difference in what a person does, but talking in general across the population.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:32 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Can I choose all of the above?

Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
yes. of course.

when we abandon engineering
we need to be concerned.
it means we determine reliability based on hear-say.

we need to dig in when people abandon science/engineering when talking religion/spiritually.
They are going to hurt somebody.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:57 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we need to be concerned.
it means we determine reliability based on hear-say.

we need to dig in when people abandon science/engineering when talking religion/spiritually.
They are going to hurt somebody.
Arach good and bad have nothing to do with engineering.
you are trying to fit everything into a very small box, a very limited framework, and you seem to get agitated when people say things like "good and bad have nothing to do with engineering"

you asked a few posts back "from an engineering side can you have good without bad?"
and i said "yes of course" and that good and bad have nothing to do with engineering.

then you jump to the place of people are going to get hurt.
that is not, for me, reasonable, rational, or logical.
nor is it reasonable rational or logical to claim good and bad are in the purview of engineering

engineering is "the branch of science and technology concerned with the design, building, and use of engines, machines, and structures." nothing about good and bad. nothing about religion and spirituality. which is the forum we are in. which is the discussion we are having.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Arach good and bad have nothing to do with engineering.
you are trying to fit everything into a very small box, a very limited framework, and you seem to get agitated when people say things like "good and bad have nothing to do with engineering"

you asked a few posts back "from an engineering side can you have good without bad?"
and i said "yes of course" and that good and bad have nothing to do with engineering.

then you jump to the place of people are going to get hurt.
that is not, for me, reasonable, rational, or logical.
nor is it reasonable rational or logical to claim good and bad are in the purview of engineering

engineering is "the branch of science and technology concerned with the design, building, and use of engines, machines, and structures." nothing about good and bad. nothing about religion and spirituality. which is the forum we are in. which is the discussion we are having.
I get it tzaph. But in reality it does. I am sorry.

I get your point though, I really do. For some people, emotional stability is not based on engineering. Its like my wife driving a car. She doesn't need to know any engineering. Until she askes

"is what they say about the car reliable?" "Can I trust what they say?"

as soon as you dismiss engineering the truth, we have no way to objectively determine the reliability of your claim(s).

take me for example. without my background, I marching off to war behind trans. Because, base on hear-say, his statement of belief about god makes more sense to me than your does.

his statement of belief makes perfect sense when we focus on the gaps. I would be a anti-god of gap-er.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:19 AM

I would like to add.

balance is key.

You said "nothing to do with engineering". I know you really mean A "balance". Its just our tipping point would be clearly different. I only know center of mass to determine reliability. I fully admit ... I struggle with the center of hearts to determine reliability of claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality