Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 06:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Says the guy that routinely attacks others' religious beliefs.

LOL...that's grand.
I know right.

He firmly states that he believes in past lives and nobody can tell him different.

but when anybody says the exact same thing about their beliefs and he don't like it ... wow ... atomic dog comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 09:33 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i am asking because some people decide that there can't be a god when bad things happen. can someone elaborate either pro or con? ...............................
I find at Job 2:4-5 that besides Job we are all challenged:
'Touch our flesh...' ( loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved faithful to God, so can we.
There is coming ' healing ' (good health) for earth's nations as described at Revelation 22:2 and the 35th chapter of Isaiah.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:33 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Says the guy that routinely attacks others' religious beliefs.

LOL...that's grand.
Explaining where they're wrong is not 'dismissing'. Dismissing is what you do when I show that a Bible passage is contradictory and you post denial based on what you would LIKE it to say. I won't go over the recent example of you denial then and thereafter. We all know what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I have seen the alleged "contradictions". BF is right. They have been resolved simply by reading correctly.
BF is wrong. The best he can do is post what he wants them to mean and ignore posting of the text that shows him wrong. You also show yourself wrong by endorsing his dishonesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I know right.

He firmly states that he believes in past lives and nobody can tell him different.

but when anybody says the exact same thing about their beliefs and he don't like it ... wow ... atomic dog comes to mind.
Very unfair and trying to make a case out of nothing. Phet. has said what he beleives and why. I have never seen him laff his ass off at anybody else at anyone who doesn't believe the same things. You do it every post. And without even explaining what your beliefs actually are. I haven't questioned him about these beliefs because i am familiar with past -life claims. I have asked you to explain this 'Living Cosmos' idea, if that even what you are still posting about, as you do every third post. Phet. fdesn't keep badgering about his beliefs.

You have no case to be pointing accusing fingers at him, especially when you consider the people who join with you in finger pointing. The proven Christian dissembler Baptist Fundie, just above. There you are bear -hugging with a demonstrated blagger-for -Jesus, Mr. Atheist, so you call yourself. Your supporters do you little credit.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-21-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Weird. I've asked for examples of them, and no one has ever provided any.
Denial. And I WILL repeat the David and the Shewbread example of a teaching that not only is dismissing the importance of the Sabbath but made no sense as a teaching anyway. You stuck your fingers in your ears and denied what was a sound case - David filled the conditions put by the priest to have the bread, and even if he wasn't right to have it, David is no saint to justify breaking ritual laws, especially a basic Commandment.

The teaching is invalid and indeed impossible for Jesus to have used. You simply denied everything at the time and thereafter. Your credibility was gone even without the impudent claims that 'contradictions' are 'misunderstood'. They are not misunderstood, but you are yours are simply in denial about it.

Quote:
No. I'm saying that I haven't seen any "contradictions" presented that were not able to be resolved by looking at the context.
You couldn't use 'context' there and you simply used denial. Just as Jeff on Slavery. Sure, you people use 'context' as an excuse but the 'context' generally turns out to be denialist excuses.

Quote:
And answered every time
Inadequately and followed up by denial.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:25 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Explaining where they're wrong is not 'dismissing'. Dismissing is what you do when I show that a Bible passage is contradictory and you post denial based on what you would LIKE it to say. I won't go over the recent example of you denial then and thereafter. We all know what it was.

BF is wrong. The best he can do is post what he wants them to mean and ignore posting of the text that shows him wrong. You also show yourself wrong by endorsing his dishonesty.

Very unfair and trying to make a case out of nothing. Phet. has said what he beleives and why. I have never seen him laff his ass off at anybody else at anyone who doesn't believe the same things. You do it every post. And without even explaining what your beliefs actually are. I haven't questioned him about these beliefs because i am familiar with past -life claims. I have asked you to explain this 'Living Cosmos' idea, if that even what you are still posting about, as you do every third post. Phet. fdesn't keep badgering about his beliefs.

You have no case to be pointing accusing fingers at him, especially when you consider the people who join with you in finger pointing. The proven Christian dissembler Baptist Fundie, just above. There you are bear -hugging with a demonstrated blagger-for -Jesus, Mr. Atheist, so you call yourself. Your supporters do you little credit.
Thank you for your support.

I do think that Arach's posts speak for themselves. Which is hardly a compliment. Occasionally I see glimpses of things that are worthy of discussion, but they are almost always shrouded in Pavlovian attacks against you or me or fall back on what he considers to be science...which isn't. Science is not just tossing in a few science words. He's laughed his you know what off so many times a day that I have no idea how he actually sits down.

You're correct. I don't ever tell people they should be Buddhist. That's my path. What I do ask of christians is that they should knock that chip off their shoulder and actually look into various other world religions, including Buddhism. In fact, what I have often said is that cherry picking many religions is actually what defines a search for wisdom.

Arach doesn't like the concept of past lives. Fine. I don't give a flying fig. But past lives is inherent in the concept of rebirth. You can't go through rebirth if there was no previous life.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
This op is a flip it’s not about him it’s about you
He made a universe if you stick with the rules all is well
If I cross on the red and get hit did god strike me down?

Old 12-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for your support.

I do think that Arach's posts speak for themselves. Which is hardly a compliment. Occasionally I see glimpses of things that are worthy of discussion, but they are almost always shrouded in Pavlovian attacks against you or me or fall back on what he considers to be science...which isn't. Science is not just tossing in a few science words. He's laughed his you know what off so many times a day that I have no idea how he actually sits down.

You're correct. I don't ever tell people they should be Buddhist. That's my path. What I do ask of christians is that they should knock that chip off their shoulder and actually look into various other world religions, including Buddhism. In fact, what I have often said is that cherry picking many religions is actually what defines a search for wisdom.

Arach doesn't like the concept of past lives. Fine. I don't give a flying fig. But past lives is inherent in the concept of rebirth. You can't go through rebirth if there was no previous life.
We may not agree on past lives or other things you have mentioned, but we may agree to differ as politely as I do with some who believe in a god but whose irreligion does not put them into opposition with atheist posters. This could be the case with Arach (who professes atheism after all) and a few other irreligious theists or even 'agnostics' who have taken against atheism. In Arach's case for no reason I have ever detected than a political dislike of the liberalism that he sees 'New' atheism as representing.

His arguments have never fooled me as they all seem to be far -fetched and often incoherent and sometime just abuse and serve only to prop up his (probably politically -driven) emotional anti - atheism. And of course he isn't the only one.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:45 PM

661 posts, read 522,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
YES.

God is more focused on the interior person; not the exterior. We are to strive toward humility...patience...charity...mercy and forgiveness especially in the face of adversity.

That God sounds mean then, or just amoral. While I can concede he operates according to his own standards, I'm allowed to have a standard myself. It's not relevant.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:56 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We may not agree on past lives or other things you have mentioned, but we may agree to differ as politely as I do with some who believe in a god but whose irreligion does not put them into opposition with atheist posters. This could be the case with Arach (who professes atheism after all) and a few other irreligious theists or even 'agnostics' who have taken against atheism. In Arach's case for no reason I have ever detected than a political dislike of the liberalism that he sees 'New' atheism as representing.

His arguments have never fooled me as they all seem to be far -fetched and often incoherent and sometime just abuse and serve only to prop up his (probably politically -driven) emotional anti - atheism. And of course he isn't the only one.
You know, that's interesting. And while I hadn't thought about Arach's post in that light, it is something I see often when I read posts over in the Great Debates part of the forum. I think I tend to subconciously react to things based on my general political attitude, even when things are not political.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
This op is a flip it’s not about him it’s about you
He made a universe if you stick with the rules all is well
If I cross on the red and get hit did god strike me down?
You've used that last line several times.

As if it means something.

It doesn't.

Only imbeciles blame a god-thing for misfortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality