Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:30 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,845,924 times

Advertisements

I think that religions( Judaism, Christianity, Islam ,.... ) as personel beliefs should be respected . It is good to discuss and express our points of view, but we should do it without hurting the others feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,846,687 times
I feel no obligation to respect or pay any attention at all to the religious beliefs of others unless they impact my life in some way.
Then I have the right to resist and protect myself by any means necessary.
This holds true regardless who they are, who their gods are, or what their beliefs are.

The bottom line for me is: "Believe anything you want, but leave me out of it."

Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,499,649 times
It is a perverse aspect of our nature that we are incapable of tolerating the religious beliefs of others. Jews, Christians, Muslims - all exist in mutual exclusive intolerance of one another. It seems incongruous that these three great religions - all sharing the same origins and cultural heritage, the same monotheistic basis of belief, and even having many of the same prophets - should be so totally antagonistic. Is not the one true God by any other name the same? Is not the God of Abraham of the Old Testament the same God the Father of Christ’s Gospels, and the one God, save Allah, bespoke to the prophet Muhammad by the archangel Gabriel in the Koran? Of all of God’s peoples, can any one of them claim an exclusive right to Him? It is a sad commentary on the history of civilization that the world is too small a place for one Jew, one Christian and one Muslim to live together in peace.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 PM

76 posts, read 138,271 times
At the risk of hurting your feelings, this sentiment is just plain silly. How on earth is it possible to debate ideas-- any ideas, not just religious-- being hamstrung by the dictate that one should never hurt anyone's feelings? And how is it that people's subjective "feelings", their extraordinary thin-skinnedness, have gained such a privileged position? You hurt my feelings and the debate is off. Such nonsense. Religious beliefs should not, in my opinion, have protected status. They involve claims about truth and reality, and as such, they are fair game for the kind of aggressive questioning and criticism that we give, and thank "God" for it, any and all truth claims. This is America. You get to believe whatever you want. But you don't get to believe it without having those beliefs questioned, scrutinized, and yes, sometimes mocked.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 PM

249 posts, read 532,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post
I think that religions( Judaism, Christianity, Islam ,.... ) as personel beliefs should be respected . It is good to discuss and express our points of view, but we should do it without hurting the others feelings.
And if.. or when.. these personal beliefs infringe on the freedom of others..

What then.. ?

----

"No one can doubt that the wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed but the liberation of the diverse energies of free nations and free men."

John F. Kennedy

-

"One is never free alone, but only in the context of free and meaningful society"

Hegel

-

Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,898,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al555 View Post
This is America. You get to believe whatever you want. But you don't get to believe it without having those beliefs questioned, scrutinized, and yes, sometimes mocked.
I understand basically what you are saying but I don't agree with the 'sometimes mocked' portion.

If you can't hold a conversation with someone without mocking them, don't bother. Mocking isn't even in the same league with scrutinizing and questioning.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,116,918 times
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...

Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,558,003 times
This isn't the Christianity forum, but I would like to ask...did Jesus and the Apostles 'respect' the ungodly religions of their day ?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,898,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
This isn't the Christianity forum, but I would like to ask...did Jesus and the Apostles 'respect' the ungodly religions of their day ?
Absolutely they did.

They didn't condone them but they did respect them.

I think it's in Acts (16, 17, or 18) where Paul used the pagan gods and idols as a springboard for the gospel message. But he didn't mock or ridicule the folks in the process.

I can't remember the exact location, Marian but it's where he talks about them having an inscription 'to an unknown god', do you remember the story I'm thinking of?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,179,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Considering the fact that nearly all religions (including Christianity) borrow ideas and concepts from other, I would say they weren't as closed-minded towards other religions as many try to make it seem (Assuming they did exist. I don't believe they did.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality