Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

22,797 posts, read 19,407,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
My point is why ask the question at all? A poster's post should speak for itself. If one chooses to reveal their belief, fine, but for any debate, what you argue is what counts.
I agree with Tesaje asking a question like that is irrelevant, what difference does it make?

I have found it unsettling and irrelevant when in the midst of any thread someone asks "What religion are you?" or "How beautiful are you" or "How much do you weigh?" and "Do you get asked out a lot?" or "What race are you?"

What it says to me when someone asks those questions, is that person likes to "categorize" in their mind who or what a person is, and that to me speaks of judgment and stereotyping and labeling, which to me are offensive, oftentime because they are disparaging in their views.

That is the beauty of a board like this, it brings us face to face with how we interact with others and how quickly or not we go to those "crutches" like race, gender, age, appearance, religion, whatever, in accepting or dismissing other people, rather than listening and trying to understand who another person is and what they are saying

All those labels do is create blurriness and distance between people. I would rather talk heart to heart person to person without the preconceptions and judgements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,915,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
I agree with Tesaje asking a question like that is irrelevant, what difference does it make?

I have found it unsettling and irrelevant when in the midst of any thread someone asks "What religion are you?" or "How beautiful are you" or "How much do you weigh?" and "Do you get asked out a lot?" or "What race are you?"

What it says to me when someone asks those questions, is that person likes to "categorize" in their mind who or what a person is, and that to me speaks of judgment and stereotyping and labeling, which to me are offensive, oftentime because they are disparaging in their views.

That is the beauty of a board like this, it brings us face to face with how we interact with others and how quickly or not we go to those "crutches" like race, gender, age, appearance, religion, whatever, in accepting or dismissing other people, rather than listening and trying to understand who another person is and what they are saying

All those labels do is create blurriness and distance between people. I would rather talk heart to heart person to person without the preconceptions and judgements.
Here's the thing.

The poster was responding to my posts on how Jesus reacted to others.

It is relevant in the discussion whether that person is a Christian or not, although not mandatory, I was curious.

If someone starts telling us what Buddhists(or should I say b-dists) believe, then wouldn't it be relevant if that person was a Buddhist or not?

Obviously the person I questioned was not offended, and again, it was for clarification on what perspective the poster was coming from.

An atheist telling me how Jesus reacted and a Christian telling me how Jesus reacted is relevant when it's being discussed.

Much thanks to accelerator for understanding.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,947,633 times
Sounds like a big fat argument from authority to me. None of us here can claim to be Jesus so all we can do is make educated guesses based on the way he reacted to events depicted in the bible.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

249 posts, read 532,736 times
Default Inside most people there's a feeling of being separate, separated from everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Obviously the person I questioned was not offended, and again, it was for clarification on what perspective the poster was coming from.

An atheist telling me how Jesus reacted and a Christian telling me how Jesus reacted is relevant when it's being discussed.

Much thanks to accelerator for understanding.

That's ok.. I thought you deserved some credit for making this forum possible.. and in general there is a good atmostphere here........ considering that no one's perfect.

A bit of friction is normal.

Anyway.. any one who argues with me is friend for life.. :-)

No I wasn't offended.. I just avoid labels because they only seem to serve to create an illusion of us being separate.. when we are not..

Feeling separate.. is all in the mind.

It's an illusion.

Have you seen the film.. Powder.. ?

----

Powder: My grams and gramps had it, the spot where they thought they were disconnected from everything.

Lindsey: So that's what they'd see if they could?

That they're really connected?

Powder: And how beautiful they really are.

And that there's no need to hide, or lie.

And that it's possible to talk to someone without any lies, with no sarcasms, no deceptions, no exaggerations or any of the things that people use to confuse the truth.

Lindsey: I don't know a single person who does that.

-

Lindsey: What are people like, on the inside?

Powder: Inside most people there's a feeling of being separate, separated from everything.

Linsey: And?

Powder: And they're not. They're part of absolutely everyone, and everything."

Quotes from the film...... Powder

YouTube - Powder (1995) (2 of 2)Mary Steenburgen, Sean Patrick Flanery

Powder (1995) - Plot summary

Again... MANY THANX

-

Last edited by accelerator; 08-05-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM

553 posts, read 570,686 times
The Bible twice calls atheists "fools" for not believing in God. LOL!!! If we called believers that (well on this board) it would be bannanization (my word).

Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Hearsay evidence is not dependable evidence..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
The Bible twice calls atheists "fools" for not believing in God. LOL!!! If we called believers that (well on this board) it would be bannanization (my word).
Verse numbers please..

----

"Hearsay evidence is not dependable evidence"

Buddha

-

Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,418,493 times
Well, I would like to be perfectly honest.

1.I respect the rights of others to practice different religions rather then my own.
2.I respect the history and traditions of other religions (many of them are beautiful).
3.Since I believe that my religion is the right one (Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen to be a part of it), I do not feel obligated to have respect for beliefs of other religions.
In all honesty, I love learning about other religions but I don't really have a formed negative or positive opinion about them, thus never really thought if I respect them and don't feel obligated to.

Also - I do not feel the need to argue with people who practice different religions then my own, unless I am to defend my own faith when it's under attack.

On another note, I believe that a person can never be happy and content within himself if he cannot live in HARMONY with other people's faith. If a person cannot stop thinking how wrong everyone is, he cannot be at peace with his own faith.
Find peace and harmony within yourself and you will be content with others.

I'm working on finding that peace myself.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 PM

553 posts, read 570,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
Verse numbers please..

----

"Hearsay evidence is not dependable evidence"

Buddha

-
Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1

Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM

5,534 posts, read 7,378,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post
I think that religions( Judaism, Christianity, Islam ,.... ) as personel beliefs should be respected . It is good to discuss and express our points of view, but we should do it without hurting the others feelings.
I believe respect springs from humility.
When I'm aware that I don't possess a monopoly on the truth, I'm better able to respect others.
I do find it impossible though, to respect anyone who willfully harms another.

The problem arises when we try to define "harm".

Old 08-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Default The fool says in his heart..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1
"The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."
They are corrupt, and their ways are vile;
there is no one who does good."

It doesn’t sound like David is talking about atheists at all to me..

Do you consider atheists to fit this description.. i.e.. fool.. corrupt.. vile.. never doing good to anyone.

I have never known an atheist like that.. have you.. ?

The Psalms are kind of poetic songs.. and are therefore open to some poetic exaggeration.. to express how the writer feels.

Of course.. the occasional Christian might grow horns.. and quote the verse out of context to an atheist.. but if they do.. then they are misleading.. and abusing scripture.. rather than teaching it.

The central theme that runs throughout the bible.. is that those in power were ignoring the law of righteousness.. and instead were mistreating people.. and misleading them.. and thereby enslaving them (controling their minds with lies)

All the judgments in the bible are aimed at such people.. leaders.. judges.. priests.. hypocrites.. etc.. and has nothing to do with atheism whatsoever.

The judgments are still valid.... down to this day..and we can still employ them to examine our system.

When David writes: “The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."

He means people.. such as these apostates.. believe they can live evil lives and not suffer the consequences of their evil deeds.

David is saying they are fools.. because they cannot escape.. “the justice of God”.

When the verse is read in context.. it makes more sense than if it is quoted in isolation..

It is better to read the chapters before and after..

But to know the entire bible makes it even clearer.

----

“The righteous will see and fear;
they will laugh at him, saying,
"Here now is the man
who did not make God his stronghold
but trusted in his great wealth
and grew strong by destroying others!"

“ Will the evildoers never learn—
those who devour my people as men eat bread
and who do not call on God?”

-

Conclusion..

Definitely not talking about atheists.

Just the "evil doers"

And that the righteous will mock them (back on topic).

-

Last edited by accelerator; 08-06-2008 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality