Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,896,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I find I have little tolerance to what I perceive as ignorance and fear of myths. I see religion as a con game used to control humanity, which has resulted in untold atrocities. I don’t respect these religions, and view the leaders as little more then criminals or con men, and if anything I feel sorry for any human who fall for the tales they get feed. If I say somethin harsh I don't see it as mockery. Truth never has to be "nice" it just has to be true, and if those who follow as sheep find it harsh than they also see the truth in the statement. It shows their brain may still be working.
Come on, racer, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.

Praying for your deliverance from the demon of hatred, poor perception and poor grammar.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM

809 posts, read 1,863,340 times
Don't respect me as a Christian, I LOVE living as Jesus lived. underdog style.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 AM

850 posts, read 1,027,728 times
Is it disrespectful or mocking to discuss under what conditions religious devotion is/will be considered a mental illness?

Last edited by jayway; 10-23-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Mee View Post
I think that religions( Judaism, Christianity, Islam ,.... ) as personel beliefs should be respected . It is good to discuss and express our points of view, but we should do it without hurting the others feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I feel no obligation to respect or pay any attention at all to the religious beliefs of others unless they impact my life in some way.
Then I have the right to resist and protect myself by any means necessary.
This holds true regardless who they are, who their gods are, or what their beliefs are.

The bottom line for me is: "Believe anything you want, but leave me out of it."
It's a wonderful sentiment Mona, but then most of us live in the REAL world where religious folks love to foist their views and beliefs on the rest of the world. Respect is a two way street. I personally don't care what anyone believes in as long as they keep it to themselves. When they attempt to insert their religious views into the laws of the land and expect others, who don't believe as they do, to just suck it up without protest...respect goes out the window.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
This isn't the Christianity forum, but I would like to ask...did Jesus and the Apostles 'respect' the ungodly religions of their day ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Absolutely they did.

They didn't condone them but they did respect them.

I think it's in Acts (16, 17, or 18) where Paul used the pagan gods and idols as a springboard for the gospel message. But he didn't mock or ridicule the folks in the process.

I can't remember the exact location, Marian but it's where he talks about them having an inscription 'to an unknown god', do you remember the story I'm thinking of?
Seriously???? That is soooooooooo not true...they were condemned and called vile names at every turn!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Is it disrespectful or mocking to discuss under what conditions religious devotion is/will be considered a mental illness?
I don't think so. Not inherently. It is only a question of degree. Most theists would be unconcerned with criticism of someone who worships something bizarre and specific to that individual, such as imagined little green men or the person's own mother or something.

It's only when more widely accepted and held ideations come into question that theists become uncomfortable. When the beliefs become typical or common, they aren't necessarily also either more justifiable or less fanciful.

It is also partly a matter of how one goes about it. If one has a gloating, mocking avidity in their observations, then they are not making simple observations, however true they may happen to be. But if one is simply observing that the emperor has no clothes, the fact that people get offended at having such beliefs challenged, is their issue, not a problem with the one making the observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality