Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,921,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
To mock others and be disrespectful is not Christian-like... To put people down and belittle them is not Christian-like... To show unkindness and malice towards others is not Christian-like... So, if you are Christian... you SHOULD be Christian-like... and I think, therefor, yes, you should be respectful...with your words and actions... but it does not mean you have to agree or respect their teachings... just the person and their feelings... think what you want but if you cannot say something NICE to someone then you should not say it about THEM... the religion of itself... that might be a different story... but I would still be careful in my wording.
exactly.

Truly a good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM

553 posts, read 571,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
But not in a conventional manner..

"....and I will scatter dung upon your faces.. the dung of your festivals"

“Offspring of vipers, how can you speak good things, when you are wicked? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man out of his good treasure sends out good things, whereas the wicked man out of his wicked treasure sends out wicked things.

I tell you that every unprofitable saying that men speak, they will render an account concerning it on Judgment Day; for by your words you will be declared righteous, and by your words you will be condemned."

“...but he kept teaching and saying: "Is it not written, 'My house will be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a cave of robbers."

Matthew 12:34 + Mark 15:27

-

“The prophets themselves actually prophesy in falsehood; and as for the priests, they go subduing according to their powers. And my own people have loved it that way; and what will you men do in the finale of it?"

“Her prophets were insolent, were men of treachery. Her priests themselves profaned what was holy; they did violence to the law.”

"And now this commandment is to you, O priests. If you will not listen, and if you will not lay it to heart to give glory to my name," God has said,"I shall also send apon you the curse, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have even cursed the blessing, because you are not laying it to heart."

"Look! I am rebuking on your account the sown seed, and I will scatter dung upon your faces, the dung of your festivals; and someone will actualty carry you away to it."

“Even the pit underneath has become agitated at you in order to meet you on coming in. At you it has awakened those impotent in death, ALL THE GOAT-LIKE LEADERS OF THE EARTH. It has made all the kings of the nations get up from their thrones. All of them speak up and say to you, `Have you yourself also been made weak like us? Is it to us that you have been made comparable? Down to the pit your pride has been brought. Beneath you, maggots are spread out as a couch and worms are your covering.'”

Jeremiah 5:31 + Zephaniah 3:4 + Nahum l2:1 + Isaiah 14:9

-

Um...you forgot one:

Quote:
But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
Matthew 15:26

Yes, Jesus told this to a Syro-Phoenician (Canaanite) woman even though he healed her daughter, but he was keeping up a long standing Jewish prejudice against non Jews. I have a sneaky suspicion a later editor added a "happy ending" to the story to clean up the obvious.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,894,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
exactly.

Truly a good post!
Thank you... it actually comes from the heart as I am a Catholic... I have gathered much heat from many posters for stating that I am Catholic and I have been told in rather unkind tones/words that I am not Christian and I do not believe in Christ....yet I do love Christ, live in a Christ-like way, and believe in Christ and teach my children to do the same... I am not turning this into a Catholic bashing thread... just stating that I speak from experience and that is why I wrote the post I did... People can be quite harsh on here, and then declare their malice in the name of Christianity... that is so wrong...I believe it is a slap in the face of your own proclaimed belief system if you do that.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Thank you... it actually comes from the heart as I am a Catholic... I have gathered much heat from many posters for stating that I am Catholic and I have been told in rather unkind tones/words that I am not Christian and I do not believe in Christ....yet I do love Christ, live in a Christ-like way, and believe in Christ and teach my children to do the same... I am not turning this into a Catholic bashing thread... just stating that I speak from experience and that is why I wrote the post I did... People can be quite harsh on here, and then declare their malice in the name of Christianity... that is so wrong...I believe it is a slap in the face of your own proclaimed belief system if you do that.
Well I don't see Catholicism in your posts, I see Christ.

And that's all I am looking for!

He is all that matters.

The rest is just trappings.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM

553 posts, read 571,177 times
Oh by the way, I still maintain my stance that while I have to respect a person's right to hold their beliefs (well depending on those beliefs) I do NOT have to respect their beliefs. For example, I do not have to sit there with a "oh that's so nice" look on my face if someone comes to me and tell me (or admit it on a bulletin board) they believe donkeys can talk and virgins can be impregnated by spirits. I reserve the right to tell them what I think about such things. I have tact, however.

Last edited by yydanay515; 08-04-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 AM

249 posts, read 532,950 times
Default Look out for the dogs, look out for the workers of injury..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Um...you forgot one:

Quote: But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”

Matthew 15:26.
No.. dogs.. not forgotten.. I just didn't post the rest of them…........……. yet.

-

She said: "Yes, Lord; but really the little dogs do eat of the crumbs falling from the table of their masters." - Matthew 15:27

-

If Jesus posted in most forums today.. and referred to religious persons as dogs.. eating crumbs from their masters plate (meaning.. taking just a few verses.. and then using them out of context).

He would be banned.. for speaking disrespectfully.. wouldn’t he.. ?

And repremanded for not being a true christian.

It is easy to forget.. the bible oozes both love.. and anger.

The anger is mostly towards the crooked path that religions have taken.. and is focused on its teachers.. false prophets.. and the priests.. and any other hypocrite.

----

“Look out for the dogs, look out for the workers of injury, look out for those who mutilate the flesh.” (the Jews)

“Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritualism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.'”

Philippians 3:2 + Revelation 22:15

-

Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,288,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
I've given my opinion, but for clarity, are you a Christian accelerator?

Quote:
I don't know what I am..

Apart from being a manic depressive.....:-((((((((((((((((( -
What difference could it possibly make? Are you judging whether to respect an opinion on the basis of whether the maker is a Christian? How very prejudiced!

Mockery, and satire have long been the tools of choice to attack the overly powerful and expose the abuses excessive use of power has always wrought. Was Jonathan Swift wrong to satirize the Irish problem with his eating excess children story? Is Monty Python wrong to satirize almost everything in modern society? The best humor is always based on a core of shocking truth exposed by mockery.

There is a difference between bullying and mockery. Many things and many assertions in life and politics deserve mockery. Bullying is an attempt to exert power over another with real or implied threats. Mockery subverts the power claimed by another.

The assertions and enormous power claimed by the religious are a set up for a free people to mock. That is entirely different than lacking respect for a person's right to a belief system so long as it does not impinge on other's rights to their beliefs. That last phrase is often what is so lacking in the religious fanatic's view.

Quote:
I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can. - Jane Austen - Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
What difference could it possibly make? Are you judging whether to respect an opinion on the basis of whether the maker is a Christian? How very prejudiced!
No, actually your post was prejudiced, I was simply asking a question.

The poster quoted scripture, talked about Christ and I was curious about whether or not they were a Christian. Apparently you have chosen to only read what you care to here in the forums because I've been an advocate for respect across the board.

Your attempt to paint me as something I am not has failed.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM

249 posts, read 532,950 times
Default Pearls Before Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I've been an advocate for respect across the board.

And your doing a great job.. so.. thank you..

This is the politest forum I have come across.

But a word of warning..

If a guy called Jesus tries to sign up.. ban him at once.. trust me.. he's trouble!!!

He habitually refers to people as.. off-spring of serpents.. dogs.. and even swine.. =;-0

He never stops using the word.."hypocrite".. and he keeps calling people liers.

He doesn't show any respect to religions folks at all..

Someone like that.. would not set a good example here.

It's just not Christian.

;-)

----

"Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.”

Matthew 7:6

-

Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,894,372 times
Quote:
And your doing a great job.. so.. thank you..

-
I second that... You're not biased, disrespectful, obnoxious... just open minded and cool and collected... exactly how you should be... good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality