Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM

88,930 posts, read 85,461,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I would like Christmas to stop making war on November and October.
Best post in the thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
I read that in the 1600's the Puritans banned Christmas for nearly 25 years. Talk about an attack on Christmas. Can't blame that one on us atheists!

The only thing that really, REALLY annoys me is all the "Jesus is the reason for the season!" signage and the fake religiosity that comes along with X-mas (and Easter). I wish all churches would explain to their faithful parishioners that Christmas was hijacked from various pagan celebrations in order to drum up numbers of converts and that, contrary to popular belief amongst children and unbelievably ignorant adults, Jesus was not born on December 25th and is therefore NOT the reason for the season.

So Happy Holidays, Happy Winter, Happy Festivus, Happy Solstice, Happy Saturnalia (we celebrated this in my HS Latin classes ), Happy Yule, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Christmas, Happy whatever doesn't offend you .

One of the best X-mas songs...

Seriously, though, how many Christians are there really who don't know those things?

I grew up in the 60s in a rather conservative church, and we were told as children that December 25 was not really Jesus's birthday and that Christmas was established to take the place of prior winter festivals. I'm sure you can find a few clueless out there who don't or won't accept that, but I imagine it has to be a very small percentage of Christians.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:07 PM

243 posts, read 454,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Seriously, though, how many Christians are there really who don't know those things?

I grew up in the 60s in a rather conservative church, and we were told as children that December 25 was not really Jesus's birthday and that Christmas was established to take the place of prior winter festivals. I'm sure you can find a few clueless out there who don't or won't accept that, but I imagine it has to be a very small percentage of Christians.
December 25 the Birth of Jesus? Most Christians Say No, Survey Shows

You're right, most Christians believe that Christmas is just a day to celebrate his birth and not the day of his actual birth.

One survey does show that out of 2,400 Christians polled on Christianet.com, 17% were unsure if Jesus was born Dec. 25th, and 13% were sure Dec. 25th was the exact date of his birth. If those percentages transfer to the general population of Christians, that's still a lot of people .

Sadly I have family who sincerely celebrates "Jesus' birthday" every year and they teach their children the same. Coincidentally these cousins grew up in Wasilla and went to school with Bristol.

Until I became an adult and had unfettered internet access, I believed it was the birth date of Jesus as well. I mentioned this to my mom some years later and she told me that no one actually really thought that. WTF mom, why didn't you clue me in?!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,644,883 times
Yeah, the "War against Christmas" (and religion) is as real as the "war Against Women". You decide.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,712,930 times
As an atheist I disagree with christians what is meaning of christmas
but

In the name of equality christians have rights on their type of christmas, their beliefs and their style to spend christmas day and use their images as other people are free to use their images also.
Pictures not should be banned if there is no violence etc. generally things which violates rules. Someones pictures of imagined gods are not threat to anyone.

If one religions pictures are banned, then they all should be. It is ridiculous to watch when some religious want their religion to be understood but at same time they are taking this same right away from others. Christians should be proud of christmas at their way, it is not insulting anyone, not even atheists as long as everyone have their personal freedom to spend their holidays as they want to.

That must be joke from facebook or are they already banning every other kind of images of each religion? All symbols away of everything? And we are going to get back in history when symbols were hided? What is wrong with people? Read history, don't repeat same mistakes.

Happy whatever to everyone, rest, enjoy and let the peace come into your heart Make peace, not war

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
December 25 the Birth of Jesus? Most Christians Say No, Survey Shows

You're right, most Christians believe that Christmas is just a day to celebrate his birth and not the day of his actual birth.

One survey does show that out of 2,400 Christians polled on Christianet.com, 17% were unsure if Jesus was born Dec. 25th, and 13% were sure Dec. 25th was the exact date of his birth. If those percentages transfer to the general population of Christians, that's still a lot of people .

Sadly I have family who sincerely celebrates "Jesus' birthday" every year and they teach their children the same. Coincidentally these cousins grew up in Wasilla and went to school with Bristol.
Took a while for me to figure out who you were talking about here. (Wasilla? Bristol?)

I've never heard anyone actually refer to it as "Jesus birthday". Yes, that is weird. Do they wear pointy party hats, too?

Quote:
Until I became an adult and had unfettered internet access, I believed it was the birth date of Jesus as well. I mentioned this to my mom some years later and she told me that no one actually really thought that. WTF mom, why didn't you clue me in?!
Now, now, don't go blaming Mom for your lack of intellectual curiosity, hehehe.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 AM

30,443 posts, read 52,122,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
If one religions pictures are banned, then they all should be. It is ridiculous to watch when some religious want their religion to be understood but at same time they are taking this same right away from others. Christians should be proud of christmas at their way, it is not insulting anyone, not even atheists as long as everyone have their personal freedom to spend their holidays as they want to.

That must be joke from facebook or are they already banning every other kind of images of each religion? All symbols away of everything? And we are going to get back in history when symbols were hided? What is wrong with people? Read history, don't repeat same mistakes.
Nobody is banning anything, at least not in the US, and yes that Facebook thing was a joke or hoax... probably one of those "like miners," who get paid for every click/share/like. The whole "War on Christmas" is a hoax as well, drummed up for a variety of reasons I imagine - political, consumer, etc. Just walk around my fairly liberal and not-too-religious Bay Area neighborhood (in a few weeks), and you'll see Christmas is still very much alive and well.

As for myself, I'm only concerned with Thanksgivukkah this year! Nice that we'll get those holidays out of the way early, so I can relax while the rest of you stress over Christmas.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nobody is banning anything, at least not in the US, and yes that Facebook thing was a joke or hoax... probably one of those "like miners," who get paid for every click/share/like. The whole "War on Christmas" is a hoax as well, drummed up for a variety of reasons I imagine - political, consumer, etc. Just walk around my fairly liberal and not-too-religious Bay Area neighborhood (in a few weeks), and you'll see Christmas is still very much alive and well.

As for myself, I'm only concerned with Thanksgivukkah this year! Nice that we'll get those holidays out of the way early, so I can relax while the rest of you stress over Christmas.
Have fun with your double holiday this year.

I don't stress a bit over Christmas! Our family dumped the whole stupid gift exchanging thing years ago except for the kids in the family, and the kids have all grown up. I do buy a few things for my mom and my adult daughter, but when the family gets together AFTER the holidays, we concentrate on food and games.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,533,205 times
I generally follow the teachings of Christ as I understand them.

Now, with that said, this whole "war on Christmas" plays straight into one of my biggest aggravations -- those who say and, in many cases actually believe, that the end-of-year celebrations of the other religious and spiritual traditions are simply "copying Christmas." I can (but will not) provide a rather extensive list of non-Christian celebrations that take place between December 20th and December 31st, ALL of which significantly pre-date the celebration of Christmas. ("Copying Christmas", indeed...)

I can point out that the exact date of Christ's birth is, and will always be, unknown. I can point out that the academics' and theologians' "best-guesses" place it somewhere in the Spring rather than in the dead of Winter. I can point out that Pope Julius I, in the 3rd Century AD, first designated December 25th as the date to celebrate Christ's birth. I can point out that the records clearly show he chose this date to directly compete with several pagan celebrations, among them being Saturnalia and the birth of Mithra, the God of the Unconquerable Sun.

To my way of thinking, it is the FACT of Christ's birth and teachings that should be celebrated, regardless of when the celebration takes place. All the rest of this crapola is just that -- crapola.

In the words of syndicated radio humorist Red Neckerson, "That's MY opinion; oughta be yours!" [<Grin!>]

Wishing all of you the Season's Best, regardless of how, when (or if) you celebrate it,

-- Nighteyes

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,013,153 times
USPS holiday stamps this year:

Happy Hanukkah is covered appropriately....

Moderator cut: deleted but.....

Merry Gingerbread House?

It's sad how our own country has become allergic to the "C" word. Every other religion can openly celebrate their holiday without censoring words, except for the majority of US citizens who are Christians and celebrate CHRISTMAS.

USPS responds after being called out for ‘Merry Gingerbread House Day’ stamp | Twitchy

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: "Kwanza for black racists" offensive especially for those members who might acknowledge/celebrate that holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality