Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times

Advertisements

On the first post of Christmas this fundy gave to me:

2 urban legends
backfire effect
confirmation bias
persecution complex
and an ad hominem fallacy

Last edited by SeekerSA; 11-11-2013 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Stole this from another forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:21 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Default Seems the anual "war on christmas" has already begun..

Sad in so many ways! Both sides bear responsibility for such nonsense. Faux sensitivities and religious self-righteousness are fuel for the fires of prejudice and dissension. Sad . . . just sad!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 AM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
I admit I only half listened to it but noticed a snippet on the news yesterday of Sarah Palin ginning up a "war against Christmas" diatribe ... people like Palin and Bachman have figured out that the important thing is to just keep stirring the pot with paranoid fantasies, truth entirely optional and often not even wanted. To keep that constituency on board, one only has to spoon feed them what they so desperately want: a role as the persecuted warriors for Truth.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
I say that this year we drop the pretense and start operating openly in our war to destroy Christmas and all things Christian.

We need better organization....have one gang going around ripping down x-mas decorations, another can trail groups of carolers with sound trucks and drown out their singing by blasting Satanic rock music. We need someone to volunteer to coordinate fouling up all the roads which lead to churches on X-mas morning, someone else to infiltrate the Post Office and throw away all the X-mas cards...and we will need to dig deep into our pockets to be able to pay for all the lawyers we hire to sue everyone anywhere who makes any sort of attempt to acknowledge the holiday in any sort of public manner.

Now, c'mon. Where's the spirit we all had at the secret Atheist Convention when we all vowed to destroy X-mas or die in the attempt?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Palin is going to make a TON of money selling this to her faithful followers.

Never mind the fact that churches are already posting their Christmas service hours right out there in the open where anyone can see it and the stores are already playing Christmas songs and selling Christmas decorations and Christmas cards already have their own table in Barnes and Noble and once again this year my family will put up an outdoor nativity scene and no one from the government (or even a pagan who gets lost and wanders into a neighborhood full of Republicans) will come with their jack boots to destroy it and use the pieces to create a giant statue of Zeus..... the war on Christmas is here.

So is the zombie apocalypse.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 AM

243 posts, read 452,854 times
Quote:
Seems the annual "war on christmas" has already begun..
I read that in the 1600's the Puritans banned Christmas for nearly 25 years. Talk about an attack on Christmas. Can't blame that one on us atheists!

The only thing that really, REALLY annoys me is all the "Jesus is the reason for the season!" signage and the fake religiosity that comes along with X-mas (and Easter). I wish all churches would explain to their faithful parishioners that Christmas was hijacked from various pagan celebrations in order to drum up numbers of converts and that, contrary to popular belief amongst children and unbelievably ignorant adults, Jesus was not born on December 25th and is therefore NOT the reason for the season.

So Happy Holidays, Happy Winter, Happy Festivus, Happy Solstice, Happy Saturnalia (we celebrated this in my HS Latin classes ), Happy Yule, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Christmas, Happy whatever doesn't offend you .

One of the best X-mas songs...

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
I would like Christmas to stop making war on November and October.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Seems the anual "war on christmas" has already begun..

Christians have it tough in America.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
On the first post of Christmas this fundy gave to me:

2 urban legends
backfire effect
confirmation bias
persecution complex
and an ad hominem fallacy

I'm guessing the type of person that came up with that FB post is possibly the one that comes up with the post that says God just wants to bless you, or give you money....so "Like this post and share it, then wait 8 seconds to see what happens!"

It's pseudo-religious folk that don't actually take the time to find out the truth. They just saw something, and think it may be true, so they pass it on.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
If there is a war on Christmas, then Christmas is slaughtering the competition. Stores open Thanksgiving afternoon for the "Christmas shopping season," radio stations playing wall to wall Christmas music starting November 1st. In a year or two Christmas will have overtaken Columbus Day, and be advancing on Labor Day. I am Christmas plans to overrun Independence Day by the end of the decade, and then nothing but Memorial Day will stand between it and Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality