Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,264,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
USPS holiday stamps this year:

Happy Hanukkah is covered appropriately....

Moderator cut: Orphaned but.....

Merry Gingerbread House?

It's sad how our own country has become allergic to the "C" word. Every other religion can openly celebrate their holiday without censoring words, except for the majority of US citizens who are Christians and celebrate CHRISTMAS.

USPS responds after being called out for ‘Merry Gingerbread House Day’ stamp | Twitchy
Funny how that article seem to miss the overtly religious Christmas stamps. Yes plural.

There is one of the 3 Christian Christmas stamps out for this year.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...tegoryProducts

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,290,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Funny how that article seem to miss the overtly religious Christmas stamps. Yes plural.

There is one of the 3 Christian Christmas stamps out for this year.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...tegoryProducts
Now, jj - don't you go muddying the water with facts.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,339,742 times
Americans seem to think that everything is a war of some sort.

Well, except the things that really ARE wars - such as the "Vietnam Conflict" or how Korea was a "police action." In the 80's and 90's, wars were called "peacekeeping missions" and lately the wars in the Middle East are called "operations."

Only domestically do we have wars - the war on poverty, the war on drugs, the war on crime, the war on Christmas, the war on religion, the war on women, the culture war, etc.

The definition of war must have changed without most of us having noticed. Today "war" means any disagreement argued with a minimum - or no - weapons or bloodshed.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,866,915 times
Quote:

Merry Gingerbread House?

It's sad how our own country has become allergic to the "C" word. Every other religion can openly celebrate their holiday without censoring words, except for the majority of US citizens who are Christians and celebrate CHRISTMAS.

USPS responds after being called out for ‘Merry Gingerbread House Day’ stamp | Twitchy
How is the word 'Christmas' being censored by the government?

It took me about 15 seconds to google these 2013 offerings from the USPS:

Quit trying so hard to portray yourself as a poor, oppressed victim. It's pathetic. And it's blatantly dishonest.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM

243 posts, read 453,843 times
Quote:

Merry Gingerbread House?

I celebrate Christmas and I'm most definitely not a Christian; I like that there are secular options. I'm actually more excited for the Harry Potter stamps though.

If you actually read the article, the advertisement features the new stamps being released this year. That's why no stamps with the word "Christmas" were included. It's not some liberal attack on American values or a conspiracy theory to edge out Christians.

And calling people who celebrate Kwanzaa racist? That pretty much tells me that you're a loving and tolerant person right there . Nice Christian values.

CHRISTMAS:

Last edited by june 7th; 11-27-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,856,266 times
And then there is Festivus for the rest of us.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,110,150 times
I never understand why this is always such a big issue.

On one side, who is getting offended by this? I mean, really. It's one thing for say, an employer to harass a non-Christian during the holiday season for not celebrating Christmas. If something like this happens, it rational. But someone who sets up a nativity scene on their front lawn? Really? It's their lawns! Who cares what they put in it. It doesn't harm you in any way. Seeing a baby surrounded by goats is a pretty harmless expression, even if you don't celebrate Christmas. I honestly just laugh when I hear the occasional story of someone getting mad because someone said 'Merry Christmas.'

On the other side, I have to laugh too. Anyone who seriously believes Christians or Christmas are being oppressed or harshly censored in this country are absolutely delusional. It is without a doubt the biggest holiday in the country. This is in part because of businesses taking advantage of gift buyers, but still. When an ad comes on talking about holiday shopping, it's not hard to know what holiday they're talking about. And yes, they said holiday instead of Christmas. Who cares? Do I think it's reasonable to assume everyone celebrates Christmas? No. It's not. But it's not offensive to tell someone merry Christmas either. With that said, happy holidays means the same thing and has the same affect. It's just being friendly.

This comes down to one thing: this shouldn't be an issue, and shame on the various public figures who try and politicize this (Sarah Palin, to name one).

Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,641,404 times
I don't mind the facebook picture, I'm having Jesus on my page!

Oh, and Santa of course!

I embrace the holiday tradition, doesn't have to be true for me. Mine covers the birth and Mr. Jolly.
Attached Thumbnails
Seems the anual "war on christmas" has already begun..-screen-shot-2013-11-27-7.30.21  

Old 11-28-2013, 12:06 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,339,742 times
Quote:
But someone who sets up a nativity scene on their front lawn? Really? It's their lawns!
I don't recall any cases where a private citizen was sued for having a Nativity scene on private property. Usually the "offense" occurs when a courthouse, public park, town hall, or other government building or space displays Christian themes because the more militant atheists claim that this is government endorsing a specific religion.

Personally, I really don't care if there are Nativity scenes around and some folks really do carry atheism too far (sometimes their behavior can be an embarrassment), but the Christians are just as guilty of nonsense behavior - especially when one atheist sues one small town over a Nativity scene and the Christians suddenly think there is an all-out war on religion.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,919,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yep.

I'll start feeling sorry for the poor, oppressed, and persecuted Christians the moment an openly atheist president is elected ... and not the standard Christian Protestant.
Well, while the president isn't atheist he is openly anti Catholic.

Is there a war on Christmas? to some extent yes. I never say Happy Holidays I say Merry Christmas and if someone is offended then they are an idiot. I've had people tell me I couldn't hang a crucifix on the wall of my cubicle because someone might be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality