Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,253,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You have to drink pretty deeply from the Fundamentalist Kool-Aid well to arrive at the conclusion that murdering 42 children because of a perceived insult is A-OK.

Read my post again.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,310,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Read my post again.
No thanks. Don't want to risk losing my lunch.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,253,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No thanks. Don't want to risk losing my lunch.
Because you know you're wrong. You just made up what I said. If you want to have a debate, at least be honest.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,310,635 times
Quote:
Because you know you're wrong. You just made up what I said. If you want to have a debate, at least be honest.
I did no such thing. In my original response I quoted yours in its entirety.

How is that making it up?

You said, in so many words: god works in mysterious ways and if he wants to kill 42 children for insulting him, he's within his rights because we poor humanoids can't possibly fathom his mind.

And I think that sort of rationalization of brutality is evidence of brainwashing. And a sick, sadistic god.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM

10,556 posts, read 6,207,881 times
Quote:
Your entire post is based on conjecture, but I will do my best to respond so you understand.

If you foreknew the birth of Hitler, foresaw his torture and destruction of 1/3 of a population, would you abort him in the womb if you had the power to do so?

God has knowledge we don't, and also is the ultimate good. We trust in that and lean not on our own understanding because as a human being with limited knowledge, yes, killing babies seems brutal. However, we don't have the full context as does God, who sees the end, from the beginning.
Do you have any idea really what you just wrote here?
Did you really think this through at all?
This exactly reflects everything Sam Harris was saying in the video.

You have basically just justified the holocaust and reinforced everything Sam Harris said about god being either impotent or evil. He can either do nothing to help or doesn't care to.
In fact to go a step further by your reckoning he foresaw the holocaust and did nothing to help. Perhaps you even think he engineered Hilter?
But God is mysterious right?

If Hitler prayed for forgiveness before he died (and we have no way of knowing whether he did or not), presumably Hilter is in heaven right now.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,265,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Do you have any idea really what you just wrote here?
Did you really think this through at all?
This exactly reflects everything Sam Harris was saying in the video.

You have basically just justified the holocaust and reinforced everything Sam Harris said about god being either impotent or evil. He can either do nothing to help or doesn't care to.
In fact to go a step further by your reckoning he foresaw the holocaust and did nothing to help. Perhaps you even think he engineered Hilter?
But God is mysterious right?

If Hitler prayed for forgiveness before he died (and we have no way of knowing whether he did or not), presumably Hilter is in heaven right now.
Funny....I thought you were done with this thread because you didn't have a clue how to answer it.

Is Hitler in Heaven? I hope so. It displays that a loving and a merciful God is willing even to forgive someone as evil as him.

Fact is, Sam Harris has no grounds to judge God, just like every other atheist here that thinks morality is subjective. If morality is just up to the individual, then you have no ability to tell anyone else that anything is immoral. Sam Harris is an ear-tickler, telling folks like you what you want to hear. He's no different than Joel Osteen...except the audience they speak to.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Funny....I thought you were done with this thread because you didn't have a clue how to answer it.

Is Hitler in Heaven? I hope so. It displays that a loving and a merciful God is willing even to forgive someone as evil as him.

Fact is, Sam Harris has no grounds to judge God, just like every other atheist here that thinks morality is subjective. If morality is just up to the individual, then you have no ability to tell anyone else that anything is immoral. Sam Harris is an ear-tickler, telling folks like you what you want to hear. He's no different than Joel Osteen...except the audience they speak to.
No Vizio I was done with the thread because after you having asked us to 'define morality' and me answering you three times, you ignored me and then refused to take part in a discussion about how to define it, because presumably you are hiding something.
As well you know.
I haven't got time in my life to repeat the same thing over and over.
Let me know whenever you want to reopen that discussion.
I'm not here now for the rest of the day but I will be tomorrow. Shall we talk about it then?

Besides I'm allowed to change my mind, that's the beauty of being able to think for yourself.

As to your comment about Hilter - all I can say is thank god for making me an atheist.

You have confirmed well and truly that my moral code stands way above yours. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
No Vizio I was done with the thread because after you having asked us to 'define morality' and me answering you three times, you ignored me and then refused to take part in a discussion about how to define it, because presumably you are hiding something.
As well you know.
I haven't got time in my life to repeat the same thing over and over.
Let me know whenever you want to reopen that discussion.
I'm not here now for the rest of the day but I will be tomorrow. Shall we talk about it then?

Besides I'm allowed to change my mind, that's the beauty of being able to think for yourself.

As to your comment about Hilter - all I can say is thank god for making me an atheist.

You have confirmed well and truly that my moral code stands way above yours. Thanks.
You mean your moral code that does not have any origin outside of yourself? Or perhaps your society today and your biology? So therefore you are utterly incapable of condemning a tyrant from 70 years ago that committed genocide?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You mean your moral code that does not have any origin outside of yourself? Or perhaps your society today and your biology? So therefore you are utterly incapable of condemning a tyrant from 70 years ago that committed genocide?
No you got it the wrong way round.
I'm incapable of forgiving a tyrant from 70 years ago that committed genocide, unlike yourself who just gave it the okay.
One thing's for sure. Your mind works in mysterious ways.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
No you got it the wrong way round.
I'm incapable of forgiving a tyrant from 70 years ago that committed genocide, unlike yourself who just gave it the okay.
One thing's for sure. Your mind works in mysterious ways.
On what grounds do you condemn him? You have no moral code that is above both you and him. There is no great standard of morality that we are all subject to, in your mind.

Am I wrong? Please tell me how I misunderstand you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality