Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,819,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Any evidence. You stated that you had evidence equivalent to the evidence that we use to evaluate whether to fly or not, documentation with valid signatures, safety records, knowledge of how planes fly, successful flights by millions of others. Please show us your equivalent evidence.
Why? You'll just dismiss it. The only person that has to be convinced is me. I'm a college educated, 30-year career in education (retired), middle-aged, father, husband, grandfather, well-adjusted, financially stable man with an IQ of 135, and I believe in God, and His son Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. How can this be?!?

Call me deluded, fundamentalist, hopelessly confused, whatever. I don't care. I was raised by an agnostic father and a Christian mother. My brother and I were brought up in the church (by our mother) from a young age. In our late teens, my brother rejected the church (not necessarily God), and remains ambivelant and inactive, spiritually speaking.

I, on the other hand, experienced God in a real way. Christianity made sense to me. I've been serving the Lord since 1973, and am now serving as a part-time minister. There are millions, just like me. I'm nobody special.

My faith in Christ is nothing like a wheelbarrow or a sack of potatoes. It's who I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Any evidence. You stated that you had evidence equivalent to the evidence that we use to evaluate whether to fly or not, documentation with valid signatures, safety records, knowledge of how planes fly, successful flights by millions of others. Please show us your equivalent evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why? You'll just dismiss it. The only person that has to be convinced is me. I'm a college educated, 30-year career in education (retired), middle-aged, father, husband, grandfather, well-adjusted, financially stable man with an IQ of 135, and I believe in God, and His son Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. How can this be?!?
Yes he will dismiss it, jimmie . . . as he does mine. It is impossible to convince anyone to accept who has not experienced God for themselves. Your faith in God is not in vain . . . though we disagree mightily on the details.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,701,863 times
Quote:

Call me deluded, fundamentalist, hopelessly confused, whatever. I don't care. I was raised by an agnostic father and a Christian mother. My brother and I were brought up in the church (by our mother) from a young age. In our late teens, my brother rejected the church (not necessarily God), and remains ambivelant and inactive, spiritually speaking.

I, on the other hand, experienced God in a real way. Christianity made sense to me. I've been serving the Lord since 1973, and am now serving as a part-time minister. There are millions, just like me. I'm nobody special.

My faith in Christ is nothing like a wheelbarrow or a sack of potatoes. It's who I am.
That's the typical dodge. If you had the evidence, which I'm sure you don't, I'm sure you'd be willing to provide it. In all honesty, my request was rhetorical since I'm quite aware that you haven't the equivalent evidence. Why you suggested you do, I don't know. Why not simply state that your personal experience is good enough evidence for you, instead of pretending you have objective evidence that could convince others?

I have never questioned your intellect, though I will suggest that you are willfully dismissive of the evidence contrary to what you were raised to accept and believe. My brother is quite similar to you, in that he compartmentalizes his religion to where he dismisses the same evidence out of hand, ignoring his mind's tendency to reasonably assess the empirical evidence. I live in a part of the country where your beliefs are the norm, where people are denied the same privileges as others only because of the religious beliefs of the majority.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes he will dismiss it, jimmie . . . as he does mine. It is impossible to convince anyone to accept who has not experienced God for themselves. Your faith in God is not in vain . . . though we disagree mightily on the details.
You not only disagree on the details, you disagree on your definitions and the attributes of God, another example that its unlikely either of your Gods exist, along with the absence of empirical objective evidence.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,954,677 times
Quote:

I agree and feel the same way Jimmy does, as I came to know the Lord in 1998

Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,240,398 times
Quote:
That's the typical dodge. If you had the evidence, which I'm sure you don't, I'm sure you'd be willing to provide it. In all honesty, my request was rhetorical since I'm quite aware that you haven't the equivalent evidence. Why you suggested you do, I don't know. Why not simply state that your personal experience is good enough evidence for you, instead of pretending you have objective evidence that could convince others?

I have never questioned your intellect, though I will suggest that you are willfully dismissive of the evidence contrary to what you were raised to accept and believe. My brother is quite similar to you, in that he compartmentalizes his religion to where he dismisses the same evidence out of hand, ignoring his mind's tendency to reasonably assess the empirical evidence. I live in a part of the country where your beliefs are the norm, where people are denied the same privileges as others only because of the religious beliefs of the majority.
What evidence would be good enough for you?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
That's a good question. I'm sure you're aware that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. For starters, I would need to see the evidence, evaluate it objectively, and eliminate all other possible natural explanations. If he/she/it exists, I'm sure your God would know what I would require and what would make me believe.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What would cause you to disbelieve?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,240,398 times
Quote:
What would cause you to disbelieve?
I don't think there is anything. That question to me is like 'what would make you disbelieve in your mom.' We have a relationship, he has a living presence in my life, and the evidence was there once I believed. I do know that it wasn't evidence that brought me to the knowledge of Christ.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Before I was a Christian, I thought they were delusional and kind of silly. So I understand where you're coming from.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,819,767 times
Quote:
When did I suggest I could convince others? The airplane thing? All I meant was, I have my own experiences, people who love me have shared their experiences, I've watched the lives of other believers, I've read of the experiences of historical believers, etc. All these things together have confirmed my beliefs.

Quote:
You guys love to elevate yourselves intellectually, over religious folk. I know the evidence you speak of and I still believe in God. There is NO evidence strong enough to change my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality