Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,970,935 times

Advertisements

faith
fāTH/
noun
noun: faith
  1. 1.
    complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    "this restores one's faith in politicians"
    synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction; Moreoptimism, hopefulness, hope
    "he justified his boss's faith in him"

antonyms:mistrust

2. 2.
    strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
    synonyms:religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine More

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 PM

158 posts, read 306,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I agree with Jimmie
I'm sorry my post was difficult for you and Jimmie to read. I am however typing my replies/posts on my iphone while also dealing with my daily business so you will hopefully forgive me if I don't go to great lengths to ease yours & mr jimmies reading experience.
I will now pray that god grant me the ability to apply paragraphs when & where needed so that no more needless suffering be cast upon you & Jimmie.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM

20,478 posts, read 12,872,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
I'm sorry my post was difficult for you and Jimmie to read. I am however typing my replies/posts on my iphone while also dealing with my daily business so you will hopefully forgive me if I don't go to great lengths to ease yours & mr jimmies reading experience.
I will now pray that god grant me the ability to apply paragraphs when & where needed so that no more needless suffering be cast upon you & Jimmie.
I also type from my phone, so I know it's possible to use paragraphs. Don't burden yourself, though. There are several posters I skip over, due to their writing styles.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,970,935 times
Quote:

Ain't no suffering on our part we just don't read it. It appears you need to indent,sorry if we hurt your feelings because probably all of us on here are not writers so shouldn't be so critical.

Take a look at Mordant's post #52, that is easier to read, easier on the eyes

Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,609,678 times

or have a leg to stand on when dealing with reality.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,609,678 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Consider paragraphs.
That's the best you've got? Awesome retort, I'll have to re-think my entire viewpoint now.
A crushing demonstration of "I have nothing so I'll play the grammar/spelling card". I hope you aren't in theory too long after such a brutal rebuttal.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Religion is a crutch for people who can't think for themselves
or have a leg to stand on when dealing with reality.
Then how do you explain seemingly normal, stable, educated religious people?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then how do you explain seemingly normal, stable, educated religious people?
Compartmentalization. Many YEC's are educated and stable and require evidence to make smart purchases, to choose the best doctor, etc..., but they compartmentalize their religion where no evidence is required, other than what they've been taught to believe from birth.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,379,510 times
I think what the wheelbarrow is carrying is nearly as interesting as the object itself.

For the atheist, the wheelbarrow is carrying nothing, they're just hauling it from place to place to build muscle.

For the Wiccan/animist, it's hauling garden stuff.

For the mainstream religion, it's hauling ash (burnt offerings).

And so on. If your religion is "old school" (sacrifices), you might even be hauling dead bodies.

Whatever you fill this thing with, it's yours.

Quote:
Compartmentalization. Many YEC's are educated and stable and require evidence to make smart purchases, to choose the best doctor, etc..., but they compartmentalize their religion where no evidence is required, other than what they've been taught to believe from birth.
I call bull. There are insane atheists. There are healthy Christians. There are people of all religions of various states of mental health. A belief set is not (inherently) a mental disorder. The minute you stop insulting everyone by thinking of it in those terms, is the minute we'll stop having flamewars between atheists and theists.

That said, it is a mental disorder to have religion rule your every waking minute. That's called addiction. If you can, however, find a reasoned and logical means of believing in a higher power (I have), then bully for you.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 03-04-2014 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
All of them? What about those who embrace religion as adults? It's not logical to think all religious people are mind-numbed robots. I know you wish it was so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality