Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nonsense! I can't speak for all Christians, but we spend countless hours in Bible study, discussing how the things of God mesh with real life.

No sensible person will continue to serve a God with no evidence of His existence.
I think you'll find a majority agreement to this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,340,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
into Christ's more versatile instructions to "love God and each other" DAILY in as many ways as possible . . . and repent when we don't.
You know, Mystic ... it's just too bad you don't seen able to dump the "love God" and "repent" part of your religious philosophy. Hell, I can't choose to love God. I either do or don't, and suffice it to say, I don't. And the concept of repenting is a throwback to the more primitive aspects of religion, a part of which you seem determined to hang on to, for some reason. Repenting still implies (if not outwardly states) that there is a singular entity out there whose job it is to keep track of anything "bad" (undefined) that we do so we can be punished for it later. Gods that take such interest in humanity and act as cosmic disciplinarians are part and parcel of what I reject.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
A very salient point...I concur. And to paraphrase Handel in 'Messiah' 'the yoke is easy, the burden light'. Point to ponder!
Uh, you wouldn't know that from seeing all of those Passion Plays with Jesus lugging that big, heavy, and unwieldy cross around ... and since the cross has become a euphemism for an exceptionally heavy burden to bear, I dunnae ... I'm not sure I agree with you. In fact, there was a poster just a day or two ago who claimed that staying a Christian was a "minute-to-minute struggle."

Sure would have been nice if I could have thought the struggle was with non-belief and reason, but more than likely, it was a struggle avoiding those shellfish or dragging himself out of bed for church every Sunday morning.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Father......" Obedience is required not intellect .
Americans are a strange breed. They shout from the rooftops about freedom, individualism, and personal liberty. Rah! Rah! Rah!

Yet they have chosen to worship the worst mass-murdering dictator ever conceived. It seems like a waste of time going to war and dying FOR freedom only to voluntarily give it all up in the afterlife. "Why sure, dag-nabbit, I'll be just happy to be your slave for eternity, Most Holy Gawd!"

All of those Christians who join those stupid militias to be free from the government while kowtowing constantly to a megalomaniacal authoritarian ... heh heh ... am I the only one who sees the absurdity in all of this?

Of course, the loud and vocal right-wing Christians, comprising of mostly the fanatics, fundamentalists, and evangelicals, are also the most ardent champions of Big Business, too, and business is also intrinsically fascist and as anti-Democratic as one can get. Business, too, rules from the top down with no chance of appeal, reprieve, or voice (unless you have a union, but they hate unions almost as much as they love being bossed around by their supervisors. "Hyuk hyuk, whatever you say boss, obedience is required, not intellect!")

Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,637,172 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with you.
Noted. I know that crises of faith can be a heavy burden. We all have our 'Calvarys' in the day to day experience of existence. Those Christians who are undergoing those 'minute to minute' struggles are like stars that are exhausting their 'fuel' and having that resulting world collapse onto them. There will come a point no doubt where the fuel is expended or replenished to counter that collapse. We all walk that road alone not only in a 'reliogious' life but just in the entire existence of our lives. It spares nobody, i.e the godless nor the 'believers'.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Noted. I know that crises of faith can be a heavy burden. We all have our 'Calvarys' in the day to day experience of existence. Those Christians who are undergoing those 'minute to minute' struggles are like stars that are exhausting their 'fuel' and having that resulting world collapse onto them. There will come a point no doubt where the fuel is expended or replenished to counter that collapse. We all walk that road alone not only in a 'reliogious' life but just in the entire existence of our lives. It spares nobody, i.e the godless nor the 'believers'.
Personally, I surround myself with those who love me, who are willing to help when I have these problems, instead of posting on FB asking for useless prayer. They don't occur everyday and are definitely not "minute to minute" struggles. No God required.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM

20,465 posts, read 12,862,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Uh, you wouldn't know that from seeing all of those Passion Plays with Jesus lugging that big, heavy, and unwieldy cross around ... and since the cross has become a euphemism for an exceptionally heavy burden to bear, I dunnae ... I'm not sure I agree with you. In fact, there was a poster just a day or two ago who claimed that staying a Christian was a "minute-to-minute struggle."

Sure would have been nice if I could have thought the struggle was with non-belief and reason, but more than likely, it was a struggle avoiding those shellfish or dragging himself out of bed for church every Sunday morning.
That's the point. He bore the burden for us. No need for us carry a burden that's already been taken care of.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus said, "the way is narrow and FEW there be that find it."
Christians really love this verse for some reason. I see and hear people quoting it all the time.

I doubt very many Christians have ever stepped back and truly acknowledged or appreciated just how horribly sanctimonious that verse is. I mean, we should all know that Christ didn't write it nor did he say it.

But it sure goes a long way to make a Christian feel special, doesn't it? "Why yes, I am one of the few - and I don't mean being a Marine, either!"

I can just see a Christian standing a little taller, straightening his suit or blazer jacket, and elevating his chin just ever so slightly while reciting that verse. "I am special because I'm going to heaven whereas you are NOT special, Mr. Atheist and Mr. Non-Christian. YOU people are not one of the few, the proud, the saved."

Perhaps on a deeper level than simply making fun of that verse, it should be considered the kind of morality this verse implies. Not that we have to work too awfully hard finding examples of immorality when it comes to the Trinity's actions, but this one seems especially heinous.

Because ... just HOW would Jesus know that FEW would get into Heaven? Ever stop to ask yourself that question, Christians? Because it would seem to me there is some predestination going on here, and if that's the case, then one should consider the morality of creating a soul that was damned to hell no matter what, and every choice that person makes leads him or her ever closer to that inevitable doom. Which, of course, makes proselytizing somewhat moot since the FEW will find their way to Heaven with or without your help.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM

64,086 posts, read 40,368,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This reminds me of the successful matketing campaign that was launched because baking soda was considered a staple . . . but seldom used. Most families had it but it was in the pantry somewhere and hardly ever used. The refrigerator deodorizer campaign changed all that. It had people storing an open box in the refrigerator for a month or so and then throwing it down the drains to deodorize them . . . eventually finding myriad other uses . . . like cat litter, toothpaste, etc. It upped sales tremendously. Perhaps we need to find alternate uses for Christianity's focus on belief about Christ once or twice a week . . . into Christ's more versatile instructions to "love God and each other" DAILY in as many ways as possible . . . and repent when we don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You know, Mystic ... it's just too bad you don't seen able to dump the "love God" and "repent" part of your religious philosophy. Hell, I can't choose to love God. I either do or don't, and suffice it to say, I don't. And the concept of repenting is a throwback to the more primitive aspects of religion, a part of which you seem determined to hang on to, for some reason. Repenting still implies (if not outwardly states) that there is a singular entity out there whose job it is to keep track of anything "bad" (undefined) that we do so we can be punished for it later. Gods that take such interest in humanity and act as cosmic disciplinarians are part and parcel of what I reject.
My views are not quite as presented in the mainstream religions, Shirina. If you love at all . . . you love God because God IS love. Our consciousness is destined to become part of His . . . but only the loving parts. Repentance is not about asking God to forgive you . . . it is changing your state of mind about unloving things you have done and people you have hurt. Repentance requires trying to repair such damage when possible. There is no punishing God. There will only be self-loathing, recriminations and remorse (weeping and gnashing of teeth) for our failures to be loving. It is all about our evolving and accumulating state of mind (true consciousness). We do not choose to believe anything . . . but we can try to love others. In the trying . . . we change our perceptions and our behaviors. Ultimately it changes us. (BTW . . . this agape love has nothing to do with lust.)

Last edited by MysticPhD; 03-03-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,637,172 times
Quote:
Personally, I surround myself with those who love me, who are willing to help when I have these problems, instead of posting on FB asking for useless prayer
That's good. But just saying we are all different in how we approach life and how to deal with its great issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality