Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I like the wheelbarrow analogy. When I was a Christian, I would push that wb everywhere I went. I guess I expect the same. from Christians today and am surprised when I see them not acting like Christians or when I hear them cussing or posting memes on FB that are less than Christ-like, IMO. I believe these are the type of Christians that possess the wb because they were raised to believe its a staple, which is nice to have when you need it, but it can get in the way at times.
It was less a wheelbarrow in front of me than a sack of potatoes I was constantly lugging about on my shoulders. Maybe not potatoes either, ultimately, but another spud-shaped and less pleasant smelling substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I believe these are the type of Christians that possess the wb because they were raised to believe its a staple, which is nice to have when you need it, but it can get in the way at times.
This reminds me of the successful matketing campaign that was launched because baking soda was considered a staple . . . but seldom used. Most families had it but it was in the pantry somewhere and hardly ever used. The refrigerator deodorizer campaign changed all that. It had people storing an open box in the refrigerator for a month or so and then throwing it down the drains to deodorize them . . . eventually finding myriad other uses . . . like cat litter, toothpaste, etc. It upped sales tremendously. Perhaps we need to find alternate uses for Christianity's focus on belief about Christ once or twice a week . . . into Christ's more versatile instructions to "love God and each other" DAILY in as many ways as possible . . . and repent when we don't.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No it doesn't apply only to Christianity, but I was trying to understand how you or any theist with a high level of scrupulous devotion to their faith deals with the knowledge that most of the rest of the world lacks that level of buy-in and misses the benefits thereof. I personally found it very discouraging, and met many others who were rather smug about it -- in the "they'll get what's coming to them" sense.

It seems also that it's a little worse for Christianity because of its explicit tri-omni god. After 2,000 years the faith has not captured the majority mindshare in the world, which, aside from the implications of whether it is ever going to be widely effective in its evangelical imperative, raises the spectre of how to reconcile a tri-omni god with the fact that most people for all of human history, end up burning in hell.
How much does one have to "buy in" for you to consider them serious? I thought you non-religious folks liked people that kept their religion private.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Regardless, I believe the OP sought to imply religious everywhere regard their religion as a spiritual 911.
More like the -atched variety

hatched christenings/dedications
matched (as many as needed these days)
dispatched funerals

I have been accused here multiple times of never owning a wheelbarrow or inferred that the wheelbarrow I had was not the particular "made in the USA" version or the wheelbarrow salesman was not a real wheelbarrow salesman so I could not have really have been a wheelbarrow pusher ever.

However, my wheelbarrow never had a rusty wheel as it was wheeled out daily plus I did try many different brands of wheelbarrows. Turned out, all of them were only needed b/c I thought it was necessary to own one; others also seemed to be pushing them for no rhyme or reason.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
No, sometimes a wheel barrow is useful. No, really.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
No, sometimes a wheel barrow is useful. No, really.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't doubt, Jimmie, that you are right. The religion that gives your life meaning is the most important thing in your life and you probably pray all the time, not just when all you have run out of all other options.

But Seeker(SA) is also right, because the wheelbarrow analogy (I'd tend to use a medical analogy - perhaps a dental one - myself. You keep it out out of your mind until you get an ache. If aspirin and a day off work doesn't clear it up, have a chat with the professionals) fits many people. Perhaps the majority. The only reason they support religion is because they have been brainwashed into thinking that it is necessary for society, civilization, patriotism and morality.

These people - maybe the majority - are irreligionists in all but realization. They are not like religious hobbyists, career religionists or cult - religionists or like yourself at a loss for feelings of self worth and meaning in life without religion.

Once those people realize that they have been sold a bill of goods -that they have been fooled into thinking that you cannot have a society unless it is infected with religion like the rivers of Israel because King David dared to number the people - irreligion will have the Numbers.

Respectfully.
I *heart* you.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 AM

484 posts, read 882,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This reminds me of the successful matketing campaign that was launched because baking soda was considered a staple . . . but seldom used. Most families had it but it was in the pantry somewhere and hardly ever used. The refrigerator deodorizer campaign changed all that. It had people storing an open box in the refrigerator for a month or so and then throwing it down the drains to deodorize them . . . eventually finding myriad other uses . . . like cat litter, toothpaste, etc. It upped sales tremendously. Perhaps we need to find alternate uses for Christianity's focus on belief about Christ once or twice a week . . . into Christ's more versatile instructions to "love God and each other" DAILY in as many ways as possible . . . and repent when we don't.
Good idea, we don't want our wheel barrows to get rusty.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 AM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
How much does one have to "buy in" for you to consider them serious? I thought you non-religious folks liked people that kept their religion private.
I don't personally give a fig, but I was debating the point with what I perceived as a fundamentalist, and that is the background I came out of. The prevalence of so-called cafeteria Christians don't bode well for the future of Christianity if your mind-set is that such Christians are either not "real" ones or are at best practicing a watered-down version of the Truth.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't personally give a fig, but I was debating the point with what I perceived as a fundamentalist, and that is the background I came out of. The prevalence of so-called cafeteria Christians don't bode well for the future of Christianity if your mind-set is that such Christians are either not "real" ones or are at best practicing a watered-down version of the Truth.
I don't know what's in a person's heart. Certainly, some appear to be more serious than others.

However, if a religious person is serious, their religion becomes a part of them, rather that a burden they must bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality