Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 AM

484 posts, read 885,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Consider paragraphs.
So attacking the layout of the post helps prove God is real? Or are you just trying to find something to say because you don't have a good response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,345,099 times
Quote:
Then how do you explain seemingly normal, stable, educated religious people?
The operative word, of course, being "seemingly."

Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
All of them? What about those who embrace religion as adults? It's not logical to think all religious people are mind-numbed robots. I know you wish it was so.
Speaking only for myself, I don't consider all religious people "mind-numbed" robots - just the ones running around trying to disprove evolution and the Big Bang. I don't even consider these sorts of people truly religious much less spiritual. If someone's faith or belief in God requires the Bible to be literally true, then that person, in my estimation, does NOT have a relationship with their creator.

There are plenty of intelligent Christians who can get along just fine seeing all of the Biblical stories as metaphors and morality plays rather than historical fact. Sure, they might believe in certain magical stories as truth - like the resurrection of Jesus - but they don't need Genessis 1:1 to be absolutely true in order to be a Christian. My guess is that their faith is fueled by something much higher and more esoteric than a rejection of science.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,641,038 times
Quote:
or have a leg to stand on when dealing with reality.
But Asheville..that is harsh there. 'Religion' I think is a legitimate item for inquiry. Really I wouldn't want you to encompass the zealotry of coming off as one who would stifle inquiry and a wrestle with the subject. From the looks of it you have a good mind. A good mind at its best takes in all the world can offer.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,236,080 times
Silly analogy, concerning planes. Everyone (most people) have seen a plane flying

OTOH, no one has seen any god.

Not to mention, I am pretty confident I could fly a plane if needed as I understand the controls, IFR, radar, beacons etc. Not rocket science ans these days the plane basically flies itself.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,878,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Silly analogy, concerning planes. Everyone (most people) have seen a plane flying

OTOH, no one has seen any god.

Not to mention, I am pretty confident I could fly a plane if needed as I understand the controls, IFR, radar, beacons etc. Not rocket science ans these days the plane basically flies itself.
I haven't seen the wind either, but I've seen it's effects.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Silly analogy too, you can feel the wind via your nervous system and of course, thanks to meteorologists, we actually know what causes wind.

Your bible uses this wrt to the imaginary HS, they had no idea what caused wind, they could only observe its effects.

Lets face it bud, your beliefs cannot stand up to any scientific scrutiny.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Are you sure it's wind? Maybe it's the breath of God. It certainly can't be anything natural or scientific - because science is unreliable, fallible, and wrong too often.

And meteorologists just invent gadgets to reinforce their random guesses anyway.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,973,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Actually, I was asking for JimmyJ's evidence that he claims is the same as the evidence for the existence of flight via airplane.
One day I will be taking the Triune God Airlines where the stewardesses are angels and they will take me up to meet the pilot and co-pilot

Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
One day I will be taking the Triune God Airlines where the stewardesses are angels and they will take me up to meet the pilot and co-pilot
It will be a short flight as your brain finally dies and it fades to black. In that last 7-10 minutes, it will seem like a long time as in dreams, we have no perception of time. I may get to hug my wife again but it will all be brain fabricated. But according to your ilk, she'd be waiting in the other place for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality