Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

So were the Nazis wrong?
You need to ask?

Whoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Why should we accept your definition of morality?
Because, if you apply "If it harms you or someone else, don't.", your living a good life. Or do you think it is better to harm yourself or someone else?

Well, do you?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You need to ask?

Whoa.
If all you've got is your opinion of what morality is, then....yah, we do.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Because, if you apply "If it harms you or someone else, don't.", your living a good life. Or do you think it is better to harm yourself or someone else?

Well, do you?
You don't seem to grasp what I'm saying, do you? If it's your opinion, or my opinion, or anyone's opinion, then how is it authoritative? Maybe I think it's GOOD to harm someone else. Should YOU accept my opinion because I declare it to be good?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to grasp what I'm saying, do you? If it's your opinion, or my opinion, or anyone's opinion, then how is it authoritative? Maybe I think it's GOOD to harm someone else. Should YOU accept my opinion because I declare it to be good?
What your missing is that it doesn't matter what you THINK, it matters what you are DOING. If your harming someone else, you're not moral.

And like I said, my construct covers things like: slavery, torture, bodily harm, deceit, bribery, coercion, usurpation, etc.

Your set of rules you like to say are sacrosanct don't even touch on those issues do they? All your bible talks about slavery is how to beat them, and that includes the NT.

Nice book isn't it. Beat your slave, don't kill him. If your slave doesn't know that they did wrong, don't beat them as hard as if they did. Here's how to do it, instructions by Jesus Christ himself.

And THAT Jesus Christ is YOUR guiding light to morality. Really?

Why?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What your missing is that it doesn't matter what you THINK, it matters what you are DOING. If your harming someone else, you're not moral.
How do you know that? I'm asking you to tell me why we should believe that the statement above is true.

Are you suggesting that morality is just a given? That it exists outside of us?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:09 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
So you think it's good because it works? I demonstrated how your system doesn't always work. Yet...you have no answer for it.
Again....why should we accept your opinion as a basis for morality? I'm sorry if that tires you...when you either admit you have no answer, or you answer it, I'll stop.
Stop being childish . . . as if YOU have an answer to why we should accept YOUR opinion as a basis for morality. You don't! It is just your opinion and belief TOO!!! You are going to pretend that YOU have the Word of God as your authority . . . when all you really have is the handed down beliefs of men that you BELIEVE (without a shred of evidence) . . . came from God. You have no reason to believe that . . . but you do. Then you pretend that it is therefore more AUTHORITATIVE than anyone else's opinion because no one else has any such authority. Bunk! It all comes down to BELIEF, period . . . NOT authority!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop being childish . . . as if YOU have an answer to why we should accept YOUR opinion as a basis for morality. You don't! It is just your opinion and belief TOO!!! You are going to pretend that YOU have the Word of God as your authority . . . when all you really have is the handed down beliefs of men that you BELIEVE (without a shred of evidence) . . . came from God. You have no reason to believe that . . . but you do. Then you pretend that it is therefore more AUTHORITATIVE than anyone else's opinion because no one else has any such authority. Bunk! It all comes down to BELIEF, period . . . NOT authority!!!
To this point, Doc, I haven't said on this thread what the source of all morality is. Several people have attempted to state what they believe it is...but no one has told me any reason to believe their opinion over anyone else's.

I can see that it ticks you off, and it's ticked off a lot of others, as well. I recognize that you don't have an answer. It's painfully obvious that no one else does, either.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
To this point, Doc, I haven't said on this thread what the source of all morality is. Several people have attempted to state what they believe it is...but no one has told me any reason to believe their opinion over anyone else's.

I can see that it ticks you off, and it's ticked off a lot of others, as well. I recognize that you don't have an answer. It's painfully obvious that no one else does, either.
Actually, I have given you an answer.

You just can't accept it. Or won't.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Ah but I DO have an answer. Morality comes from our Creator's purpose for our existence. It is our purpose that defines morality. Everything that is constructive to our purpose is moral. Everything that is destructive to our purpose is immoral. Simple. We either have a purpose for existing or we don't. If we do . . . IT MUST determine morality. I believe we do. You probably believe we do. This eliminates all the caprice in the silly idea that it is God's whim that decides what is or is not moral. All we need to do is determine WHAT our purpose for existing IS and we have all the authority we need for determining what is or is not moral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality