Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK? And is that bad? If so...why? How do you determine it's bad?

I keep asking you these questions....you either cannot comprehend the question of WHY? Or you just don't know how to answer it.
Good grief, Vizio, what part of reading comprehension courses caused you difficulty?

I said:

If someone tells you that you are being hurtful, then you are. You will have to reconsider your actions.

How the heck does that not already answer your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Good grief, Vizio, what part of reading comprehension courses caused you difficulty?

I said:

If someone tells you that you are being hurtful, then you are. You will have to reconsider your actions.

How the heck does that not already answer your question?
Ok....now why? Suppose someone has a system of morality that says that hurting people is GOOD?

Who is correct? And why?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Ok....now why? Suppose someone has a system of morality that says that hurting people is GOOD?

Who is correct? And why?
Vizio, please let's not play cute, because, you ain't.

The qualifier is:

If it harms you or someone else, don't.

Of course, the person whose system of morality is anti-social, has never been stopped by silly things like rules, or commandments, has he.

Does that make him right? Of course not, nor does it make him moral.

And you continue doing it, then you are not moral.

See, it works. Every time.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Vizio, please let's not play cute, because, you ain't.

The qualifier is:

Why?
Quote:
Of course, the person whose system of morality is anti-social, has never been stopped by silly things like rules, or commandments, has he.

Does that make him right? Of course not, nor does it make him moral.
Why?
Quote:

And you continue doing it, then you are not moral.

See, it works. Every time.
Why should we accept your system of morality? Again...you are making all sorts of statements about what is and what isn't moral...but you have yet to explain WHY it is so. You're begging the question. That means you are assuming the point when you have yet to prove it.

No doubt you're going to grow tired of my questioning you because you have no answer. At that point you'll likely declare yourself the victor and tell me I'm stupid. In the future when this comes up again you'll self-righteously tell me I'm too dumb to know that all of this was explained before.

But you haven't actually made your case.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Duckin' n' dodgin' n' weavin'.

Like the Black Knight.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:

Who is correct? And why?
That person's morality would be wrong.

So, now you ask why?

It certainly isn't because of objective morality. Instead, it is a variation of utilitarianism. We want to maximize pleasure/happiness/contentment, while minimizing pain/sadness/harm. The 'why' is self evident. Maximizing harm is detrimental to all of us. If my view is to maximize harm, then you (or somebody) is going to suffer as a result. Similarly, I am likely to suffer at someone else's hand.

We all want to avoid harm, if only for selfish reasons. Because we are social beings and tend to have empathy, we generally extend that benevolence, or at least indifference, to others.

You can certainly cite examples of Hannibal Lector style sociopaths who do not feel empathy, nor do they care about harm. That doesn't invalidate the utilitarian theory of morality, it simply says that individual is an outlier, who for the safety and benefit of the rest of the population, needs to be restricted from harming others.

This secular morality doesn't need any more 'why' than this. We feel the morality because of self interest and empathy. Done. There is no more, nor does there need to be any more.

It is also a superior code of morality than most if not all religious codes.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Duckin' n' dodgin' n' weavin'.

Like the Black Knight.

I'm trying to pin him down! But he's a duckin'

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That person's morality would be wrong.

So, now you ask why?

It certainly isn't because of objective morality. Instead, it is a variation of utilitarianism. We want to maximize pleasure/happiness/contentment, while minimizing pain/sadness/harm. The 'why' is self evident. Maximizing harm is detrimental to all of us. If my view is to maximize harm, then you (or somebody) is going to suffer as a result. Similarly, I am likely to suffer at someone else's hand.

We all want to avoid harm, if only for selfish reasons. Because we are social beings and tend to have empathy, we generally extend that benevolence, or at least indifference, to others.
Why?
Quote:
You can certainly cite examples of Hannibal Lector style sociopaths who do not feel empathy, nor do they care about harm. That doesn't invalidate the utilitarian theory of morality, it simply says that individual is an outlier, who for the safety and benefit of the rest of the population, needs to be restricted from harming others.

This secular morality doesn't need any more 'why' than this. We feel the morality because of self interest and empathy. Done. There is no more, nor does there need to be any more.

It is also a superior code of morality than most if not all religious codes.
All you're giving me is what you think. You're making statements as if it's fact. But you've given me no actual argument other than to beg the question.

What it comes down to is personal preference. You prefer your system over anything else.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Why?

Don't be silly. Do you want me to come over to your house and beat you up? Of course not. That is why. Nothing more than you don't want me, or anybody else, to hurt you.

Quote:
All you're giving me is what you think. You're making statements as if it's fact. But you've given me no actual argument other than to beg the question.

What it comes down to is personal preference. You prefer your system over anything else.
No, I am giving you a basis for morality. I don't want to be harmed, you don't want to be harmed. Nobody wants to be harmed. Yes, that is a personal preference, but that is good enough to be the foundation for a system of morality.

I prefer this system because it has a foundation in something tangible, and can be used to guide behaviour and judge right and wrong.

The same cannot be said for a god's arbitrary system of 'because I said so'.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Don't be silly. Do you want me to come over to your house and beat you up? Of course not. That is why. Nothing more than you don't want me, or anybody else, to hurt you.
Some people feel it's good to be able to go beat other people up. If we're going to look at it from a purely evolutionary point of view, the fittest would survive -- so that would be a good thing.
Quote:

No, I am giving you a basis for morality. I don't want to be harmed, you don't want to be harmed. Nobody wants to be harmed. Yes, that is a personal preference, but that is good enough to be the foundation for a system of morality.

I prefer this system because it has a foundation in something tangible, and can be used to guide behaviour and judge right and wrong.

The same cannot be said for a god's arbitrary system of 'because I said so'.
OK...so you think your system is best. Great. Now explain why it is anything more than your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality