Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 01:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You keep looking for authoritative. What does that mean? I suspect that the only answer you will accept as authoritative is god.
Do you know of any authoritative source of morality on earth?
Quote:
Sorry, that is silly. God doesn't exist, nor is god a good moral figure. We established that several pages ago.

Utilitarian morality is a practical system because it works. It functions pretty well. It is not perfect, nor does it need to be perfect. It is a good moral system because we understand it (unless you are a particularly obtuse Christian). It is based upon a common human understanding. That is it. There is no more. It is not objective, nor does it flow from a divine being.
But it doesn't work. We've demonstrated that. We've shown that different societies can have different systems of morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Morality is a social construct. It exists outside of us to the extent that it is a practical means of survival and cooperation for a social species.

It is not a force, or power. It cannot be measured as a thing. It is a product of human minds.
So then you have no basis for condemning the Nazis. They were acting upon their social construct of morality.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In fact, any changes will have to come from the Christian community.
Don't hold your breath, Shirina. As these threads illustrate..... it's too fragmented with too many "my way or the highway" believers. Let's face it, telling someone they'll burn forever because of their beliefs is a power trip for many of the people saying it.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-21-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah but I DO have an answer. Morality comes from our Creator's purpose for our existence. It is our purpose that defines morality. Everything that is constructive to our purpose is moral. Everything that is destructive to our purpose is immoral. Simple. We either have a purpose for existing or we don't. If we do . . . IT MUST determine morality. I believe we do. You probably believe we do. This eliminates all the caprice in the silly idea that it is God's whim that decides what is or is not moral. All we need to do is determine WHAT our purpose for existing IS and we have all the authority we need for determining what is or is not moral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So then you think the source of morality is God?
Yes . . . the very concept of morality obtains its legitimacy from the existence of God who establishes a PURPOSE for our existence. But it is that PURPOSE for our existence and NOT the whims or caprice of God that determine morality. In other words, Vizio . . . morality is NOT whatever God supposedly told our ignorant ancestors through inspiration. It ultimately comes down to discerning with sincere and reasoned effort what the PURPOSE of human existence IS and those things that are constructive to that purpose.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes . . . the very concept of morality obtains its legitimacy from the existence of God who establishes a PURPOSE for our existence. But it is that PURPOSE for our existence and NOT the whims or caprice of God that determine morality. In other words, Vizio . . . morality is NOT whatever God supposedly told our ignorant ancestors through inspiration. It ultimately comes down to discerning with sincere and reasoned effort what the PURPOSE of human existence IS and those things that are constructive to that purpose.
So the concept of morality comes from God...but it's whatever people decide?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
So then you think the source of morality is God?
Not in your remotest of dreams.
  • You have not established that there is a god of any kind
  • You CAN'T establish that there is any kind of omnipotent, sentient, anthropomorphic being that has a personal interest in every human being
  • You deny the innate morality of humans
  • You deny that morality exists and can be defined with the simple construct of "If it feels good, do it. If it harms you or someone else, don't"

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not in your remotest of dreams.
  • You have not established that there is a god of any kind
  • You CAN'T establish that there is any kind of omnipotent, sentient, anthropomorphic being that has a personal interest in every human being
  • You deny the innate morality of humans
  • You deny that morality exists and can be defined with the simple construct of "If it feels good, do it. If it harms you or someone else, don't"
I recognize that you don't believe in God. I'm not claiming on this thread yet that God is the source...I'm only clarifying what another poster responded with.

You haven't been able to tell me who is wrong if someone disagrees with you, or how you determine it...but you are clear in the fact that you think you are.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I'm grateful that the inability to grasp the concept of human-based morality is limited to a very, very few.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Do you know of any authoritative source of morality on earth?

But it doesn't work. We've demonstrated that. We've shown that different societies can have different systems of morality.

No, not only do I not know of an authoritative source of morality on earth, I am on record in this thread as saying there is none. Do you even bother to read the posts you are replying to?

No, we absolutely have not proven that different societies have different systems of morality. You are trying to slide that through without proving it. Even if a society had a twisted sense of morality, I wouldn't care, as that is not my point. My point is that we can, and functionally have, built a system of morality based upon doing no harm and social empathy. Cupper states it differently than I do, but it is the same thing.

Quote:
So then you have no basis for condemning the Nazis. They were acting upon their social construct of morality.
Sure I do. Let's go back to step one for the 500th time. Do no harm.

Do you need it in caps? DO NO HARM

Perhaps colors? Do no harm.

You keep ignoring the basic, sole, only functional system of morality that people actually adhere to in favor of straw man attacks.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm grateful that the inability to grasp the concept of human-based morality is limited to a very, very few.
Love the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality