Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You apparently have no clue what is objective and what is subjective. If it depends on the views or whim or a SUBJECT (i.e. your God) . . . it is subjective. If it simply stands alone as a general principle it is objective. Your morality depends on what God decides subjectively about anything. That is NOT an objective morality. It differs depending on who does it (God or men) . . . that is NOT an absolute standard.
Well put....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You apparently have no clue what is objective and what is subjective. If it depends on the views or whim or a SUBJECT (i.e. your God) . . . it is subjective.
Do you think God changes? Is he a man that he might change as the wind blows?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you think God changes? Is he a man that he might change as the wind blows?
Well, he hasn't thrown a tantrum and wiped out all life on earth for quite some time.

Maybe he's mellowing.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
lol...where'd you copy and paste this one from?

It is, yes. God explicitly states that it is wrong.

Because you're not an ancient Israelite. This statement was made regarding the governance of the nation of Israel. It is different in that it is not a statement regarding the morality of such a practice among other nations, as well--as the statement regarding homosexuality was.

I would recommend you adhere to the laws of your country.

Because you're not an ancient Israelite. This statement was made regarding the governance of the nation of Israel. It is different in that it is not a statement regarding the morality of such a practice among other nations, as well--as the statement regarding homosexuality was.

You're not an ancient Israelite. This statement was made regarding the governance of the nation of Israel. It is different in that it is not a statement regarding the morality of such a practice among other nations, as well--as the statement regarding homosexuality was.

You're not an ancient Israelite. This statement was made regarding the governance of the nation of Israel. It is different in that it is not a statement regarding the morality of such a practice among other nations, as well--as the statement regarding homosexuality was.

Thankfully, we do not have to worship God by sacrificing animals on an altar. Christ was our one-time sacrifice. If you'd like to continue to do that, you'd better make sure you adhere to the whole law--including all these other statements that were for the nation of Israel only.

You really need to understand the concept of context. You need to recognize that we are not ancient Israelites.

Why would these commands change? How come the Israelites had one set of laws, and the Babylonians, Persians, Egyptians and us have a different one.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:06 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, Morality is Objective.

It is your perception of Morality that is Subjective.

Morality is like Color. A given Moral is like Blue...the Color Blue. The Color Blue is radiation. Specifically, the Color Blue is electromagnetic radiation at a given wave-length.

The given wave-length is Objective, but how you and everyone else perceives the Color Blue is totally Subjective, as you all perceive differing hues and shades of the Color Blue.
That is a false analogy. There is no moral value that resides outside of the mind like radiation does. We do not perceive a moral value like that. Please demonstrate their existence outside of the human mind. Were is the moral value - thou shalt not murder? What you seem to be referring to and confused about is what you denied in my post about what morality is about - humans actions - not the values themselves. These are what we perceive. As such we interpret them subjectively, as admitted by you, and assign value to them. We then label them good of bad, right or wrong based upon that valuation.

Now whether our subjective perceptions correspond to facts about those actions is another thing all-together. If it does correspond to the facts and circumstances of our existence and that which facilitates that existence then we can say that our labeling of that action, as good or bad, is correct and objective. Science can 'inform' us regarding the circumstances at play regarding our existence and that which is helpful and beneficial for it. So can logic.

We can not forget where morality starts nor confuse the two. Moral values are not actions and neither is the perception of those actions.

Quote:
When is it permissible to rape and sodomize a woman?

Maybe you can be like Yahweh/Jesus and claim that it's perfectly fun and profitable to rape and sodomize, so long as you marry her afterwards.

When is it permissible to own slaves?

When is it permissible to steal from another?

Never.
We perceive that rape and sodomy are not permissible - but the question is why? It is not that our perception, per-se, is objective it is because of what we know regarding the effect of such actions regarding our existence as human beings. Those things can be factual and known to be factual and thus objective. But there is nothing that necessitates that our feeling or perceptions track reality - we have to figure that out in order to say that this is wrong. That may change with time and knowledge as we grow in experience and knowledge as social creatures.

Quote:
No, what you are describing is a fallacy:

Rationalization
We rationalize when we inauthentically offer reasons to support our claim. We are rationalizing when we give someone a reason to justify our action even though we know this reason is not really our own reason for our action, usually because the offered reason will sound better to the audience than our actual reason.

Mircea
Fallacy! LMAO! Your characterization is a fallacy and your own rationalization - see how easy it is to just declare things.

Morality has do with human actions - that is - how they value them. Here is another definition: 'Morality is a set of psychological adaptations that allow otherwise selfish individuals to reap the benefits of cooperation.' From the book by Joshua Greene, Moral Tribes: Emotion, Reason, and the Gap between Us and Them.

The 'game' is to try and find common ground among these competing values. And there are really only three games in town - deducing them from a god/God, from self-evident principles, or through science. If none of them can produce moral truth then there is none. And he addresses the problems with each one. Alas we are thrown back upon each individuals moral values and their competing nature. Thus the only way to arrive at moral truth/fact is to find common ground amongst these values.

And he suggest that what matters is not Truth per-se but whether we have direct, reliable, non-question begging access to these truths or facts. If there are authoritative ways to resolve moral disagreements rather that divine, pure reason, or empirical investigation he has not heard of them. What's left when we subject our moral beliefs to as much objective improvement as possible? Is it moral truth or just what's left? This probably cannot be answered and/or does not need to be. We just need to find common currency and he believes this is possible under utilitarianism. Not that this is the moral truth nor that science proves utilitarianism but that moral thinking can be objectively improved upon by a scientific understanding of morality. And as I noted has to do with human actions and their consequences. Utilitarianism is based upon shared values and he then discusses this from a psychological, neural, and evolutionary perspective.

You are confusing objective facts about human actions and our perception of these facts. We need to have a methodology to bridge the two. And even if the SM is not perfect it is the best game in town. And under the framework of utilitarianism we are left with finding common values and letting science inform us regarding these actions.

Also, your objectivity is not what Vizio's or other theists mean by that term - completely removed from the human sphere and found in God. God is the objective loci of these values - surely you do not mean that and so your response to me responding to that type of objectivity is misguided.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 09-25-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
No. But you will claim that you have supposedly answered the question, call me stupid, and act like you've won the argument....all while ignoring the question.
You have not given any arguments - just questions and mere assertions. Until then no one can win an argument since it takes two to argue.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
You have not given any arguments - just questions and mere assertions. Until then no one can win an argument since it takes two to argue.
I've simply asked the question how one can judge morality?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
That's sheer tautology -- a circular argument.
And this is why my posts are often longer than average - because I don't want to leave myself open to these kinds of responses. But, given that I had already explained in detail about this to Vizio at least twice, I just didn't feel like doing it again.

But no, it is not a circular argument. It demonstrates cause and effect. If morality was objective, one should expect morality to remain constant through the ages and across cultures. It doesn't. Not in the least. No doubt that 100 years from now, history will either judge our current society as being either more moral or immoral than theirs - because morality will have changed yet again.

Quote:
No, Morality is Objective.
Nuh uh.

Quote:
It is your perception of Morality that is Subjective.
Perception represents the building blocks of morality.

Quote:
Morality is like Color. A given Moral is like Blue...the Color Blue. The Color Blue is radiation. Specifically, the Color Blue is electromagnetic radiation at a given wave-length.
Comparing something that exists independently of humanity (color) with something that is a construct of humanity (morality) doesn't work very well.

There can be objective color because of the wavelengths which can empirically show that color x is different from color y and always will be. Any deviation in wavelength means it is not that color but this color, instead.

But with morality, there is no "morality wavelength." This means that something or someone would have to act as the end-all, be-all "the buck stops here" decider of what is moral and what is not.

Well ... who is qualified to be such a decision-maker? The religious, of course, give this responsibility to God, but do we want religious law from the Bronze Age dictating our morality in the 21st Century?

And do you really want an objective morality to begin with? For that would mean once decided, morality cannot change. Not tomorrow, not ten thousand years from now.

Thankfully, morality was not etched in stone 200 years ago, for instance, when women - under the morality of the day regarding modesty - had to wear layers and layers of heavy skirts all the way down to the bottoms of our feet even if women are doing manual labor during the dog days of summer. And 50,000 years from now, women would STILL be required to wear those clothes in order to remain morally pure.

But that's not what we see, now, is it. No, history bears out the reality that morality is fluid. Even religious morality, which presumably comes from God, is constantly being changed.

And unless you happen to be religious and believe your morality is absolute because it comes from God, there simply is NO person or thing that can make the legitimate claim that with morality that proverbial buck stops here - and always will forever more.

Quote:
When is it permissible to rape and sodomize a woman?

Maybe you can be like Yahweh/Jesus and claim that it's perfectly fun and profitable to rape and sodomize, so long as you marry her afterwards.

When is it permissible to own slaves?

When is it permissible to steal from another?

Never.
Wrong. Those things are permissible if society says they are permissible. Those things might offend your moral structure now - they offend mine, as well. But who is to say that in some dystopian future, the morality that we cherish now has been completely abandoned for a different set of rules? This idea is perhaps one of the most widely used hooks for science fiction writers and with good reason.

Remember that here in the USA it was once perfectly moral to own slaves. People owned them openly and even used their slaves as a status symbol - the more you had, the more successful you were. There was no shame, no guilt, and no regret over slave ownership in the antebellum South.

When is it permissible to steal from each other? Well ... do you think it was permissible for a group of Norwegian commandos to steal Hitler's supply of heavy water so that Hitler could not construct an atomic bomb? Would it be permissible for me to steal a gun from a person who threatened to use that gun in a school shooting?

How about raping and sodomy? Well, it was permissible for troops of the Red Army to rape and sodomize German women as the Soviets moved toward Berlin. It was permissible for the Japanese army to rape and brutalize Chinese women and use them as sexual slaves (comfort women, they were called). It was permissible in Iraq for the Baathists under Saddam to use rape and sodomy as a form of punishment.

And none of these are extremes. I didn't have to say, "Well, it would be permissible for someone to rape a woman if doing so would prevent the universe from imploding!"

No, almost all of these examples actually happened historically. We may find such behavior deplorable to our Western ears, but to the Southern plantation owners, the Red Army, the Japanese army, to the Norwegian commandos, etc. etc., their morality - at that time, in that place, and under those conditions - believed it was perfectly a-okay to do what they did.

Quote:
That which is Objective never changes.
And yet morality changes all the time - especially from one generation to the next.

Last edited by Shirina; 09-25-2014 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: My first draft was too objective. So I changed it.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:21 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
I've simply asked the question how one can judge morality?
And I have answered you and you refuse to engage by answering my questions.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
And I have answered you and you refuse to engage by answering my questions.
I have yet to see you give an answer that actually makes sense. Sorry..but you've failed to do that repeatedly. You've given answers...but when I point out that you're making assumptions instead of providing answers, you've given no coherent response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality