Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 02:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You do realize I was using the names that the poster I quoted used, right?
And, YOU, meanwhile, continue to stay silent on the morality of the Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since you believe the Bible is God's Word instead of Christ and since you believe the Bible is the authority on morality . . .
I'm done. You have made no attempt whatsoever to even begin to understand my arguments.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
She prefaced it by saying he was a "four alarm cretin".

You, meanwhile, continue to stay silent on the morality of the Nazis.
How does she, or you, or anyone know they are wrong? Can you say they're wrong?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
How does she, or you, or anyone know they are wrong? Can you say they're wrong?
First: I read Shirina's post too hastily .... She seemed to be using that descriptive term on God.

Second. Yes. I can say the Nazis were wrong. I can say they were immoral. Look out, because here it comes again: The Nazis were immoral.

Apparently you have trouble with that. It's obvious, though, that if the Bible said, "The Nazis were immoral!" you'd be on here insisting it was true. Hmmm.... maybe if the Bible said the Nazis were wiped out by the flood you'd be telling everyone they were immoral.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
First: I read Shirina's post too hastily .... She seemed to be using that descriptive term on God.

Second. Yes. I can say the Nazis were wrong. I can say they were immoral. Look out, because here it comes again: The Nazis were immoral.
How do you know, though? Have you ever looked up a term in the dictionary and it used the term to define it? That wouldn't be real helpful, is it?

How do you know something is immoral, if you have no way of knowing other than your own opinion?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Same response to you and your "if it feels good" morality. What makes it "correct"? Besides your opinion? What makes your opinion better than anyone else's?
Because it is not just an opinion, but a visceral part of every human beings psyche. It speaks to the self-preservation gene we all have. It speaks to the empathetic gene we have, the on that drives the bond between parent and child. It speaks to the societal order we all crave. It speaks to us being human.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
(1) How do you know, though? Have you ever looked up a term in the dictionary and it used the term to define it?

(2) How do you know something is immoral, if you have no way of knowing other than your own opinion?
1) Yes. Mensaguy has posted the definition on this thread at least twice. Please read his posts.

2) I'm smart. And I didn't go to Fundamentalist School so I'm able to think for myself.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
You seem to be confusing the EXISTENCE of morality with whether or not individuals follow morality. They are completely separate issues and one has nothing to do with the other. We CAN KNOW what is moral without following it. God has "written in our hearts" and with the guidance of the Comforter using agape love . . . we CAN KNOW in our heart of hearts what IS and what IS NOT moral! If it is against agape love it is NOT moral. IF it is consistent with agape love it IS moral. You call that subjective . . . when it is the opposite. If we do NOT internally have a morality to follow . . .it does not exist. It is just human vanity and hubris in words "written in ink." You seem to believe we do NOT have an internal morality to rely on based on agape love. Besides being of academic interest . . . what does the Bible have to do with the morality God has "written in our hearts"??? Again you seem to confuse following our internal morality . . . with having it . . . they are NOT the same thing.Since you believe the Bible is God's Word instead of Christ and since you believe the Bible is the authority on morality . . . you automatically are endorsing the law and the many words "written in ink" as your God. You cannot believe the Bible is inerrant and infallible without believing it is therefore God. That makes your God a quartet . . . the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit and the Bible. I think you simply do NOT believe Christ abides with us as the LIVING Word of God. IF you did there would be no need to revere the Bible as your God and authority.
Quote:
I'm done. You have made no attempt whatsoever to even begin to understand my arguments.
I will let others decide whether or not I have made any attempt to understand your arguments (non-existent as they have been). You have mainly asked the same boring question for which you have been given myriad answers. You pretend that you are somehow NOT in the same subjective boat as everyone else . . . but you ARE! Your subjective morality is even MORE subjective because it is entirely based on the whim and caprice of your God . . . instead of what God has taught us and IS . . . agape love. THAT is a standard that is both objective and absolute . . . not subject to the caprice of God.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
I will let others decide whether or not I have made any attempt to understand your arguments (non-existent as they have been). You have mainly asked the same boring question for which you have been given myriad answers. You pretend that you are somehow NOT in the same subjective boat as everyone else . . . but you ARE! Your subjective morality is even MORE subjective because it is entirely based on the whim and caprice of your God . . . instead of what God has taught us and IS . . . agape love. THAT is a standard that is both objective and absolute . . . not subject to the caprice of God.
I hope you realize that this is your opinion which makes it subjective, not objective and absolute

Old 10-01-2014, 05:28 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
I want to understand what gives anyone the right to say their opinion of subjective morality is above anyone else's. Can you do explain that?
The 1st amendment here in the US guarantees the right to free speech, so people can say all sorts of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality