Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The same thing that tells YOU that ... unless you're some kind of sociopath, as I said; unless you're just faking your humanity and blindly following the dictates of your religion.

Otherwise, good ol' fashioned empathy tells me that. Again, as I've stated before, there ARE certain universals which exist inside the parameters of being a normal human being.
So now it's empathy. OK. Now again...why is that the standard to judge morality by? What gives you the right to say someone else is wrong if they disagree with that? Do you believe that you can say they are wrong?
Quote:

No ... I don't. The only reason why there is any question over God's actions in the OT being immoral is because it was God. If any mortal had committed those same actions for the same reasons, that person would be considered the biggest monster in all of human history.

You would be hard pressed indeed to find anyone who would regard the actions in the OT as moral, good, and righteous if you took God out of the equation. Saying I have to somehow prove those actions are immoral is just a heaping helping of equivocation.
You're absolutely correct. Taking God out of the equation DOES change things. But then, the state of Nebraska has the authority to take a human life. I don't...but the state does. So does that mean that the state is immoral every time it does?
Quote:

More equivocation.
Yet, you continue to duck and dodge the question.
Quote:

Yes, that is EXACTLY what you are suggesting whether you realize it or not. According to you, the only justified morality comes from God. We only know what comes from God by studying the Bible. Anything else, again according to you, cannot be justified. Unless, of course, you can answer your own questions with secular ideas. No religion.
I challenge you to either recant the lie or give me a quote showing where I have said anything stating that.
Quote:

You're right, they don't have to agree with me. But if enough do, then it has the potential to become a moral rule. There are plenty of things some people find immoral that I find to be silly - like profanity. Then again, when it comes to business practices, there's a list a mile long that I find immoral that others do not.
A moral rule accepted by a group of people is not the same as morality. The government can legalize rape, but it would still be immoral.
Quote:

Your version of morality has to be legitimized and accredited by your God - and that happens within the pages of a 3,000 year-old book with laws that are equally that old. Your moral view on homosexuality is just one case in point. Fornication ... yet another case in point.

Yes--fornication and homosexuality are immoral. But eating shellfish is not. The difference, of course, is that the sexuality issues were addressed to all of mankind, while shellfish was only to a few people. The sexuality issues are also issues that were addressed when the human race was created.
Quote:

The cosmological argument has been thoroughly debunked as merely the "God of the Gaps" argument. We don't know yet, therefore, God.

It's been no more debunked as a "God of the Gaps" as evolution has been debunked as "evolution of the gaps". The fact that you disagree with the conclusion does not give you the right to state that it's invalid.
Quote:

No.

Murder is just a subset of killing - and prohibitions on killing are not absolute.
Actually....yes, someone is killed in a murder. But there are justifiable reasons for killing. The very concept of murder is that it is an unjustified killing.
Quote:

But even assuming this is objective morality, there is no reason whatsoever to believe God "programmed" it that way. I understand that believers are wont to fill every crack and crevice with their gods and their dogma, but there simply is no reason to assume that any god is responsible - and there is even less reason to believe it was your specific deity.
You don't believe that there is such a thing that is always right or wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm going to give you all the time you need to try to figure out the answer for yourself.

And I won't hold my breath.
I'm still waiting for you to stop ducking and dodging. Let me know when you're done.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But then, the state of Nebraska has the authority to take a human life. I don't...but the state does. So does that mean that the state is immoral every time it does?
You've never noticed the people who protest executions? They usually stand outside the prison with protest signs. They are courageous enough to declare capital punishment immoral and take a stand for what they believe

You, meanwhile, won't declare the Nazis immoral. Why is that?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You've never noticed the people who protest executions? They usually stand outside the prison with protest signs. They are courageous enough to declare capital punishment immoral and take a stand for what they believe
And they are wrong.
Quote:
You, meanwhile, won't declare the Nazis immoral. Why is that?
Of course I will. Hitler was completely immoral. The Nazi party was immoral. The Holocaust was immoral.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
And they are wrong.
Who are you to declare they are wrong?

Many who think it's immoral are Christians who pray to God while the executions are taking place.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:19 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::What obliviousness . . . What God has "written in our hearts" in agape love tells us what is right and wrong, Vizio . . . NOT some ancient words "written in ink" by our ignorant primitive ancestors!! Morality does NOT depend on the whim and caprice of God. It is objective and absolute based on agape love because God IS agape love . . . NOT some capricious dictator. There is only one morality and it is always the same regardless who does it (even God), period. Only our ignorant ancestors thought otherwise and claimed God did immoral things. That is the veil of ignorance over reading the OT that Christ came to lift!!! You and those like you retain that veil of ignorance and pervert the Gospel of Christ by excusing and rationalizing Evil as Good because you believe somehow God was involved. It is a travesty of human perversity and double-mindedness. Morality is NOT flexible . . . not even God can alter what is immoral and make it moral.
Quote:
You're absolutely correct. Taking God out of the equation DOES change things.
Then YOU do NOT "believe that there is such a thing that is always right or wrong."
Quote:
<snip>
A moral rule accepted by a group of people is not the same as morality. The government can legalize rape, but it would still be immoral. <snip>
Actually....yes, someone is killed in a murder. But there are justifiable reasons for killing. The very concept of murder is that it is an unjustified killing.
Your double-mindedness continually amazes me. That you seem oblvious to it is even more fascinating.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to stop ducking and dodging. Let me know when you're done.
I'm still waiting for you to think.

Let me know if you ever start.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm still waiting for you to think.

Let me know if you ever start.
duckin' and dodgin'

Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Then YOU do NOT "believe that there is such a thing that is always right or wrong."
Of course I do. Murder is ALWAYS wrong.
Quote:

Your double-mindedness continually amazes me. That you seem oblvious to it is even more fascinating.
Your inability to actually read what I write amazes me.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
::Sigh::What obliviousness . . . What God has "written in our hearts" in agape love tells us what is right and wrong, Vizio . . . NOT some ancient words "written in ink" by our ignorant primitive ancestors!! Morality does NOT depend on the whim and caprice of God. It is objective and absolute based on agape love because God IS agape love . . . NOT some capricious dictator. There is only one morality and it is always the same regardless who does it (even God), period. Only our ignorant ancestors thought otherwise and claimed God did immoral things. That is the veil of ignorance over reading the OT that Christ came to lift!!! You and those like you retain that veil of ignorance and pervert the Gospel of Christ by excusing and rationalizing Evil as Good because you believe somehow God was involved. It is a travesty of human perversity and double-mindedness. Morality is NOT flexible . . . not even God can alter what is immoral and make it moral.
Quote:
You're absolutely correct. Taking God out of the equation DOES change things.
<snip>
Quote:
Then YOU do NOT "believe that there is such a thing that is always right or wrong." Your double-mindedness continually amazes me. That you seem oblvious to it is even more fascinating.
Quote:
Of course I do. Murder is ALWAYS wrong.
Your inability to actually read what I write amazes me.
I read just fine. You state that taking God out of the equation changes the morality of an act . . . in your view it can be moral if God does it but immoral if we do. That is NOT something that is always right or wrong!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality