Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The Duggars are small-minded people worshiping an equally tiny-minded god.

No surprise they got together.
What an incredibly bigoted statement! And you guys claim to be the "open-minded" ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
So, the Duggars found themselves with fame, and the podium that comes along with it. Realizing the opportunity they had, they looked about for a means of change to effect.

They decided the change upon which they would spend some of that intangible capital was to make it easier for people to discriminate against members of a group - not due to those members' beliefs, not due to those members' actions, but due to who they inherently are.

It just wasn't as easy to hurt people as it used to be. So they set about changing that.

That's their legacy.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So, the Duggars found themselves with fame, and the podium that comes along with it. Realizing the opportunity they had, they looked about for a means of change to effect.
Actually...no. It was the homosexual lobby that started harassing them. They'd have been happy to live and let live.
Quote:
They decided the change upon which they would spend some of that intangible capital was to make it easier for people to discriminate against members of a group - not due to those members' beliefs, not due to those members' actions, but due to who they inherently are.

It just wasn't as easy to hurt people as it used to be. So they set about changing that.

That's their legacy.
Who is being discriminated against? I've repeatedly made this statement and no one has been able to tell me. No one is being told the can't get married.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,232,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually...no. It was the homosexual lobby that started harassing them. They'd have been happy to live and let live.

Who is being discriminated against? I've repeatedly made this statement and no one has been able to tell me. No one is being told the can't get married.
You can huff and puff about gays having the right to marry SOMEONE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX but all you're doing is broadcasting your narrow-minded ignorance.

Again.

Still.

Ad seemingly infinitum.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You can huff and puff about gays having the right to marry SOMEONE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX but all you're doing is broadcasting your narrow-minded ignorance.

Again.

Still.

Ad seemingly infinitum.
Why SHOULD we redefine marriage? Why should your side be able to dictate what words mean?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,763,236 times
This goes beyond gay marriage, this is about people being allowed to refuse housing and jobs to someone they find "offensive". It's disgusting, and I am so glad I don't live in that backwards state.

I am not sure how true it is, but I read that Michelle Duggar recorded a message that went out to the people that live in her state, and the recording said that child molesters would be allowed near kids if this bill went through. Is lying okay for a Christian like her?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
This goes beyond gay marriage, this is about people being allowed to refuse housing and jobs to someone they find "offensive". It's disgusting, and I am so glad I don't live in that backwards state.
If I own a rental home, and I'm renting out part of it, or all of it....why would that even come up in a discussion? When I was 22 I shared a house with a buddy and his 5 year old daughter. The landlord never asked if we were "together" and we never told him we were NOT gay. But no one thought we were. It was just never something that even came up in any kind of a discussion.
Quote:
I am not sure how true it is, but I read that Michelle Duggar recorded a message that went out to the people that live in her state, and the recording said that child molesters would be allowed near kids if this bill went through. Is lying okay for a Christian like her?
Why are you commenting on what you "heard" if you don't know? Why are you asking us if we think it's ok for her to lie....if you don't know?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,763,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If I own a rental home, and I'm renting out part of it, or all of it....why would that even come up in a discussion? When I was 22 I shared a house with a buddy and his 5 year old daughter. The landlord never asked if we were "together" and we never told him we were NOT gay. But no one thought we were. It was just never something that even came up in any kind of a discussion.

Why are you commenting on what you "heard" if you don't know? Why are you asking us if we think it's ok for her to lie....if you don't know?
It's what I read, and I guess I said that I am not sure if it is true because I don't want to believe that someone is capable of doing that. All the online articles say that is what Michelle Dugar did, so I guess it must be true.

I can't remember the online articles I originally read this on, so I quickly googled for some that have this info:
Michelle Duggar Warns Arkansas Community That Transgender People Are Child Predators | ThinkProgress

Old 12-16-2014, 04:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
Quote:
I have never watched their show, but I have heard of these people.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/dugg...011569557.html

Maybe we can get some laws passed that will prevent people from having too many kids in order to ensure the Earth's resources don't get depleted.

I also would love to know if I was a landlord, can I refuse to rent out to someone based on their religion? If I was an atheist, can I not hire a Christian? I am assuming that would not be legal for me to do, so why is it legal to discriminate based on religious convictions? This is fu***ng nuts. Sorry to be so blunt, but this makes no sense at all. We need to do something and stand up to these hateful bigots.

"Despite the backlash, the couple stood their ground by posting a telling Bible verse on their Facebook page. It read: “We will always stand for truth and the values we hold dear without compromise, but we will do so in love and kindnesstreating others well even if we don’t agree with them and we will do so without hateful words.” Fans also created a counter-petition to save the show, which has remained on air."

How is firing someone or evicting them loving and kind? WTF?
They seem like a well ground family raising kids that seem to be much more grounded than most. They have as much right to their opinion has anyone.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,004,074 times
Quote:
I have never watched their show, but I have heard of these people.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/dugg...011569557.html

Maybe we can get some laws passed that will prevent people from having too many kids in order to ensure the Earth's resources don't get depleted.

I also would love to know if I was a landlord, can I refuse to rent out to someone based on their religion? If I was an atheist, can I not hire a Christian? I am assuming that would not be legal for me to do, so why is it legal to discriminate based on religious convictions? This is fu***ng nuts. Sorry to be so blunt, but this makes no sense at all. We need to do something and stand up to these hateful bigots.

"Despite the backlash, the couple stood their ground by posting a telling Bible verse on their Facebook page. It read: “We will always stand for truth and the values we hold dear without compromise, but we will do so in love and kindnesstreating others well even if we don’t agree with them and we will do so without hateful words.” Fans also created a counter-petition to save the show, which has remained on air."

How is firing someone or evicting them loving and kind? WTF?
Why are you mad at them when 52% of the voters voted in a favor of repealing this? Clearly the people have spoken. I understand you disagree but if they supported this law, then I am sure you would want people to respect the law. You can't be upset at people for having certain views especially when it appears that you are in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality