Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not sure how to answer your first question. What do you mean by prayer "working"? Does conversation with other humans "work"? Prayer is communication with God. Do I believe we can communicate with God or that God communicates with us? Yes. Do I believe that if I pray for a specific thing I want, I'll get it, thereby "prayer works"? LOL, you know better than that. (But, hell, I still TRY.) As St. Mick sings, you don't always get what you want, but you get what you need.

The basic belief that unites liberal Christians--is that we are to love God and love our neighbors, the basic teaching of Christ. Loving our neighbors means helping those we can in whatever way might be needed, including standing up for those who are victims of injustice.

The rest of what I think you mean by "doctrine" is there for us to question, discuss, and argue over till we die.
Not just liberal Christians do that (bolded above).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:36 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not just liberal Christians do that (bolded above).
That's correct. However, the OP was asking specifically what basic doctrine unites liberal Christians, and that is it. Whereas, other Christians might put things that we don't accept, like "The Bible is the inerrant Word of God Himself" on equal footing with "love God and love your neighbors." Some of us believe that the first one often leads to contradiction of the second.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-21-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What do liberal Christians believe? Do they generally believe that prayer works? Do they still believe in an afterlife?

Are there any widely accepted doctrines at all? What beliefs unite them? Or are beliefs largely left up to the individual? The only "universally accepted" doctrine I have seen so far (based on C-D anecdotes) is this: the fundamentalists are wrong.
Liberal Christians are typically catergorized as laissez- faire type God believers.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times
Liberal Christians are pretty much like Christians of any stripe - they belly up to the salad-bar of their faith, pick out what they like, and ignore what they find inconvenient.

As they stand in line, they're convinced that the Bible isn't virulently anti-gay and anti-woman. If they find themselves standing next to some fundamentalist who thinks Jesus was a supply-siding capitalist, the two probably look each other and both shake their heads in wonderment that the other could be so misguided.

Of course, such behavior is hardly limited to the Christian faith.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:04 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Liberal Christians are pretty much like Christians of any stripe - they belly up to the salad-bar of their faith, pick out what they like, and ignore what they find inconvenient.

As they stand in line, they're convinced that the Bible isn't virulently anti-gay and anti-woman. If they find themselves standing next to some fundamentalist who thinks Jesus was a supply-siding capitalist, the two probably look each other and both shake their heads in wonderment that the other could be so misguided.

I think I'm going to frame this post.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:05 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I will too.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What do liberal Christians believe? Do they generally believe that prayer works? Do they still believe in an afterlife?

Are there any widely accepted doctrines at all? What beliefs unite them? Or are beliefs largely left up to the individual? The only "universally accepted" doctrine I have seen so far (based on C-D anecdotes) is this: the fundamentalists are wrong.
Ah. Another one of those "anyone who disagrees with me cannot be a Christian at all" threads.

I'm pretty sure that the Nicene Creed says it all for the vast majority of us.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

It must be a simple life wherein other people can be dismissed and explained away so easily. It seems to be even more fulfilling when one gets to point and giggle at others on the Internet, thereby removing any trace of possibility that the people one is trashing might be human beings of more complexity than one has the capacity to imagine.

Have a party with it.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Ah. Another one of those "anyone who disagrees with me cannot be a Christian at all" threads.

I'm pretty sure that the Nicene Creed says it all for the vast majority of us.
Eh, liberals argue over the creed. I've got a guy in my parish who is a former priest. Facilitates centering prayer, teaches bible studies. Gave up his collar because he realized he didn't believe in the Trinity and an Episcopal priest is supposed to believe in the Trinity. But that's OK. Doesn't keep him from being an Episcopalian.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It must be a simple life wherein other people can be dismissed and explained away so easily. It seems to be even more fulfilling when one gets to point and giggle at others on the Internet, thereby removing any trace of possibility that the people one is trashing might be human beings of more complexity than one has the capacity to imagine.

Have a party with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Good post, MQ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality