Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:15 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,303,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Lately Repubs have been pro-banking / corporate industry. I see little 'conservative' in that agenda.

Likewise Dems have lately not been very pro-slavery either, but historically they were.

These parties change.

Through-out Jesus' ministry He brought people back to the Laws of Moses. They had forgotten and made doctrines counter to The Law.
Pro banking and mega business is not conservative?

And the democratic party that supported slavery was the old republican guard, at one point the parties did a 180 and completely swapped platforms...

Any republican before Eisenhower would never be elected as one today as wouldn't many democrats prior to Roosevelt be elected as democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 PM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Is religion just a cover for political agendas? I can't help but wonder.
Too often, it can easily be. That's one of the reasons our country's founders had the good sense to not permit a state religion.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,913,752 times
Quote:
Is religion just a cover for political agendas? I can't help but wonder.
In the first century Roman Empire, there was absolutely no difference between religion and politics. So Jesus was basically a political figure. The Romans turned Jesus into a popular pagan god.

And I think it is still true today. People's view of God is based on their political view.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:20 PM

18,525 posts, read 9,212,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's why REAL Christianity is founded in social justice. We don't have REAL christianity in this nation because it has become an oligarchy--where resources, money, and power continues to amalgamate into the hands of a few---the very thing God warned His nation about.
Christianity is over 2000 years old. And yet there was very little social justice associated with it for those 2000 years. Instead, Christianity gave us the dark ages, the crusades, opposition to science (that continues to this day), several wars of religion, the Salem witch trials, and on and on. What are you suggesting? That none of that was "real" Christianity?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:12 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,743,281 times
Quote:
Christianity is over 2000 years old. And yet there was very little social justice associated with it for those 2000 years. Instead, Christianity gave us the dark ages, the crusades, opposition to science (that continues to this day), several wars of religion, the Salem witch trials, and on and on. What are you suggesting? That none of that was "real" Christianity?
The message of God in Leviticus 27 was JUSTICE. The message of Jesus was the same. However, it's been the likes of men who are still comprised of the same Pharisees that plagued Jesus that have corrupted the primary and original faith message of loving one's neighbor and doing all one can to bring about a leveling of the playing field among men.

The Pharisees didn't like what Jesus said either. He called them whited sepulchres.

Freak, the fact that men ignore the basic message of scripture for justice and use scripture to practice injustice in no way lessens the importance of the message. If Jesus could call the most profound leaders of Judaism "vipers," for how they tried to use scripture for their own purposes, why should we do any less?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In the first century Roman Empire, there was absolutely no difference between religion and politics. So Jesus was basically a political figure. The Romans turned Jesus into a popular pagan god.

And I think it is still true today. People's view of God is based on their political view.
An interesting thought. However my religion CHANGED my political viewpoints. Now the question for me is, how can one claim to be a christian and NOT support a social gospel.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 AM

37,554 posts, read 61,616,067 times
Quote:
Christianity is over 2000 years old.
The religion you speak of is 1,690 years old.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:37 AM

18,525 posts, read 9,212,082 times
Quote:
The message of God in Leviticus 27 was JUSTICE. The message of Jesus was the same. However, it's been the likes of men who are still comprised of the same Pharisees that plagued Jesus that have corrupted the primary and original faith message of loving one's neighbor and doing all one can to bring about a leveling of the playing field among men.
You're quoting Leviticus? The same book that conservative Christians use against homosexuality? The same book that says we should stone disobedient children? Aren't you just cherry picking Leviticus just like the conservative Christians?

Quote:
The Pharisees didn't like what Jesus said either. He called them whited sepulchres.
Yes, I am well aware of that. The Pharasees consistently played the role of the "bad guys" in my Sunday School lessons and in church. In the conservative Christian world they were "bad" because they didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah/God. In the liberal Christian world they were "bad" because they were the privileged class and the keepers of the Status Quo. It just goes to show that one can get anything from the bible in order to support a given theo-political agenda.

Quote:
Freak, the fact that men ignore the basic message of scripture for justice and use scripture to practice injustice in no way lessens the importance of the message. If Jesus could call the most profound leaders of Judaism "vipers," for how they tried to use scripture for their own purposes, why should we do any less?
Again, the "basic message of scripture" is different depending on how scripture is interpreted. Conservative Christians believe that YOU are using scripture for your own purposes. Naturally, you think that YOUR interpretation is the correct one and that THEY are using scripture for their own purposes.

Do you see how this works?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You're quoting Leviticus? The same book that conservative Christians use against homosexuality? The same book that says we should stone disobedient children? Aren't you just cherry picking Leviticus just like the conservative Christians?
Absolutely quoting from Leviticus with that very point in mind. The difference is quite clear. When it comes to INDIVIDUALS, Jesus Himself had no problem contradicting God. In Deuteronomy 19:21 it is God Himself (according to the writer) who says: "Thus you shall not show pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."

But Jesus said:
You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.…
Matt 5:38-39

Jesus changed the message of the Father.
Quote:
Yes, I am well aware of that. The Pharasees consistently played the role of the "bad guys" in my Sunday School lessons and in church. In the conservative Christian world they were "bad" because they didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah/God. In the liberal Christian world they were "bad" because they were the privileged class and the keepers of the Status Quo. It just goes to show that one can get anything from the bible in order to support a given theo-political agenda.
Ignacio Ellacurla, S.J., the seminary president murdered (in 1989) for the praxis of believing that one must start from a correct principle of reason or faith by walking as a disciple of Christ and actively seeking to bring about the reign of God spoke to Christians in dramatic words:

"I want you to set your eyes and your hearts on on these people who are suffering so much----some from poverty and hunger, others from oppression and repression. Then (since I am a Jesuit), standing this people thus crucified you must repeat you must repeat St. Ignatius' examination from the first week of the Spiritual Exercises. Ask yourselves: what have I done to crucify them? What do I do to uncrucify them? What must I do for this people to rise again?"
(quoted from Quest for the Living God, Dr. Elizabeth Johnson, Continuum International Publishing Group, 2007, p. 84)
Sounds a lot like the current Pope!!! I predicted early on that he will die violently rather than peacefully in bed. Such is the message of truth so hated by the greedy manipulators even within the Church.
Quote:
Again, the "basic message of scripture" is different depending on how scripture is interpreted. Conservative Christians believe that YOU are using scripture for your own purposes. Naturally, you think that YOUR interpretation is the correct one and that THEY are using scripture for their own purposes.

Do you see how this works?
Of course it works that way. It worked the same way when Jesus walked this earth. Pharisees interpreted scripture in a way that was personally beneficial.

But how is interpreting scripture for the benefit of OTHERS self-serving? I don't have much, but I'm certainly not in the crowd that struggles from week to week to put food on the table in order for some fat cat executive in a large corporation to get a $25 million bonus check.

Look, I get it that you were hurt by the practice of religion in your family. I was, too, to a lesser extent and spent most of my adult years in battle with my father over his judgmental attitude towards others. But because something (christianity) has been used for evil is no reason to fail to use it for good.

As a post script here is a quote from wikipedia concerning Ignacio Ellacurla:

The political implications of Ellacuría's commitment to his ideas met strong opposition from the conservative religious and political forces in El Salvador. This opposition led to Ellacuría's murder by the Salvadoran army in 1989 at his residence in UCA along with five other fellow Jesuit priests and two employees. Their murder marked a turning point in the Salvadoran civil war (see History of El Salvador). On the one hand it increased international pressures on the Salvadoran government to sign peace agreements with the guerrilla organisation FMLN On the other, it helped make Ellacuría's ideas (until then known only in Latin America and Spain) become known worldwide.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-24-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM

37,554 posts, read 61,616,067 times
Quote:
Absolutely quoting from Leviticus with that very point in mind. The difference is quite clear. When it comes to INDIVIDUALS, Jesus Himself had no problem contradicting God. In Deuteronomy 19:21 it is God Himself (according to the writer) who says: "Thus you shall not show pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."

But Jesus said:
You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.…
Matt 5:38-39

Jesus changed the message of the Father
No, He really didn't.

You should not take one verse out of context, and try to make it say something it does not say.

Anyone can read Deuteronomy 19 and see what it is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality