Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM

37,706 posts, read 61,818,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post
Liberal christians? Aren't all of christ's teachings liberal?
I would think of Christ's teachings as being mostly conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,366,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would think of Christ's teachings as being mostly conservative.
really?

feeding the poor, caring for the least and providing for widows and children hasn't really been part of the conservative agenda lately?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:03 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,162,823 times
Not really; God is a loving god like a parent but he also does not like sin; plain and simple. Its why one must repent sins and that means fighting the flaw of being humans in repeating them. One can't be a Christian and do whatever turns you on and con yourself into reasoning its ok. Being a Christian is simple; its belief in God and his son has your savior. Its the leading a Christian life that man finds difficult as in the the commandments. Thou shall leaves no doubt what is said.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 PM

64,148 posts, read 40,475,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not really; God is a loving god like a parent but he also does not like sin; plain and simple. Its why one must repent sins and that means fighting the flaw of being humans in repeating them. One can't be a Christian and do whatever turns you on and con yourself into reasoning its ok. Being a Christian is simple; its belief in God and his son has your savior. Its the leading a Christian life that man finds difficult as in the the commandments. Thou shall leaves no doubt what is said.
This cannot be said enough: Sin is a problem because it harms US . . . NOT God. Sin is like a spiritual cancer that grows at the expense of the love of others. It harms the development of your Spiritual embryo and your fate at rebirth upon your death. God is NOT counting our sins (failings) against us. He just wants us to love Him and each other every day and repent when we don't. He is saddened when we sin because it harms US . . . NOT Him. A woman, Mary B. had a vision at a young age (14) that so closely mirrors our situation as I have come to understand it. AS you know, I see us as "spiritual embryos" in this physical "womb" of the earth with the responsibility to mature our Spirit to eventually be "born again" upon our death. Sin is what harms the development of our spiritual "body" and its character and abilities.

I have no reason to believe or not believe Mary's vision . . . except that it fits my current understanding of God and our relationship to him. As a recipient of such an encounter with God in deep meditation, I am likely to be less skeptical than you. I will post Mary's description of her encounter with God here without further comment. I suggest you just think about it and ask God to confirm what is in your heart:

"I was shown the image of a form, that as I recall it seems now to have somewhat resembled a fetus (though at the time I had no idea what a fetus looked like) which I understood was myself. It was being eaten away by a horrible sore, disgusting and revolting in the extreme. I was made to know that He felt great sorrow for this state of affairs. He told me that if I would choose a path characterized by love and peace that he would be with me to guide me all the way and at the end of the path I would come to him.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
really?

feeding the poor, caring for the least and providing for widows and children hasn't really been part of the conservative agenda lately?
Lately Repubs have been pro-banking / corporate industry. I see little 'conservative' in that agenda.

Likewise Dems have lately not been very pro-slavery either, but historically they were.

These parties change.

Through-out Jesus' ministry He brought people back to the Laws of Moses. They had forgotten and made doctrines counter to The Law.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,995,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Through-out Jesus' ministry He brought people back to the Laws of Moses. They had forgotten and made doctrines counter to The Law.
Still think it's about law, do you? What does it mean "to fulfill the Law?" How does just loving God and man do that?

Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 AM

When addressing marriage / divorce Jesus brought the people back to The Law.

He did this over and over with all topics.

Granted as our Passover Lamb, He fulfilled The Law, that fulfillment came when he died.

During His ministry, He taught The Law [which is love].

Old 05-23-2015, 12:33 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,262,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Government shouldn't do it, eh? Not much of a Bible reader huh? Try reading Leviticus 27--in other words get out of Leviticus 18 and 20 and understand the larger message of God for ALL people.
We are to give to God and give to the poor, this is what God desires of us. None of your references tell us a non-theocratic government is to steal from the masses in order to 'help the poor'. I will say it again, there is no such thing as forced charity. Even tithes are voluntary.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:47 PM

18,566 posts, read 9,258,478 times
Is religion just a cover for political agendas? I can't help but wonder.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:06 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,764,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
We are to give to God and give to the poor, this is what God desires of us. None of your references tell us a non-theocratic government is to steal from the masses in order to 'help the poor'. I will say it again, there is no such thing as forced charity. Even tithes are voluntary.
Not only do you not know your bible, you don't know history nor economics.

Michael Hudson is a highly-regarded economist. He is a Distinguished Research Professor at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, who has advised the U.S., Canadian, Mexican and Latvian governments as well as the United Nations Institute for Training and Research. Hudson points out the history of government being the primary lender from 2000 BCE to the time of Jesus. It is since then that privatization of debt has occurred and caused the vast swings from prosperity to depression, all the while widening the gaps between the rich and the poor.

It's why REAL Christianity is founded in social justice. We don't have REAL christianity in this nation because it has become an oligarchy--where resources, money, and power continues to amalgamate into the hands of a few---the very thing God warned His nation about.

The 10% at the top would rather see the 90% at the bottom die, than forgive any debt. If the debt was owed to the government the government can easily forgive it with no sweat off its nose since its power to collect taxes is unabated.

God understood that. You apparently do not. Here is the history of the difference in how debt was handled then, compared to now.

Michael Hudson and forgiveness of debts - Bing Videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality