Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 PM

1,422 posts, read 956,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always thought original sin referred to the flaws human beings carry. Our tendency to divide ourselves into Us v. Them, our tendency to take more than what we need while others don't have enough, our tendency to oppress one another and inflict suffering. They are characteristic of our species.
As well as the good things human beings do. So the 'sin' bit is perhaps that tendency because it seems easier to fall into the temptation? But it is not as some would argue - that we are essentially 'sinful' naturally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are you suggesting that there's somehow a silver living with respect too our being made to feel guilty for something somebody else did wrong?
No. I am more of the understanding that we are responsible for what we do - I am responsible for what I do, good or bad.

I understand that others can have influence on how we grow and what attitudes we are influenced by in relation to those authoritative figures' we all have when we are young and impressionable.

For example, if my big brother is a bit of a rouge and I am influenced by his behavior and follow after him, I am essentially accountable for my actions even that I have been influenced by his.

So guilt offers me a way of rectifying things and helping me to change my behavior so that I change. It is like a rudder.

It is not about what someone else did wrong but about what i did wrong. My guilt does not have an affect on how my big brother behaves (although it has that potential).

We can learn by others mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 PM

67 posts, read 54,739 times
The Bible that I knew of said "In the beginning elohims created the heaven and earth. The earth was without form and void.........Then(And) the Lord said....And the Earth you see today. Now let's jump to the end of the chapter of the Fall of Man in Genesis. The Lord asked "should ..take the tree of Life ....And become one of us?" Remember the L said, " In the day you ate of it, you shall surely die." ...
The LD sent him out of garden to till the ground from whence he was taken. So from whence part that the word sin was mentioned?

Now what you think of the Lord now? And look around the world now, "should they become one of US?"

The things were so simple, right?

Old 06-07-2015, 05:40 AM

88,995 posts, read 85,529,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
This is a huge flaw that has been interjected in to our mindset by the Greeco-Roman Christianity where we are totally blinded folded from looking at the other side of the picture.

Man has tendency to do a lot of "bad" * BUT * we don't realize that man also has the tendency to do a lot of "good".

Lots of charity work - donations to medical research, volunteering, providing free medical help, disaster relief, trying to live by a moral code based on faith or self consciousness, even bringing up our kids with good values, looking after the Neighbours - caring of animal rights - be kind to kids and generous towards the financially struggling, protecting our countries - keeping our neighborhood clean, obeying the law, be good citizens - advocating for peace - denying and standing up against cruelty and bigotry - looking after the elderly - growing trees - protecting the environment etc.

"Doing or doing bad" - It's a choice that we make - and in the end we will be responsible for our choices.
I agree. Read something well-stated once about the duality of human nature--how we have both the ability to do great things, create art and music and discover ways of healing, alongside the ability to find more efficient ways to kill and oppress our own kind.

I took original sin to be an acknowledgment of that darker side, but it's just sort of a fact of life, not a reason to try to get individuals to believe they are worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality