Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 03:36 PM

15,976 posts, read 7,039,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
So sorry i shamed you, please forgive me. I am not a Jew.
So sorry I took you for your word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 03:44 PM

23,168 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So sorry I took you for your word.
I havnt lied to you, if there has been some missunderstanding, I am not always good at expressing myself, I would be happy to try and clear up any issue we have.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:06 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
I havnt lied to you, if there has been some missunderstanding, I am not always good at expressing myself, I would be happy to try and clear up any issue we have.
On your profile it says your worldview is Judaism.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:08 PM

23,168 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Yea.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:32 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I voted atheist/agnostic, but I respect all religions so long as their adherents are not trying to convert me or change laws to conform to religious beliefs that I don't share. I'll even admit that I'm actually envious of the faithful. They have the self-confidence and peace of mind that comes from believing they know all the answers to life's big questions: Why are we here? How should we live? What happens after we die? I have no idea, and I don't think it's even possible for mere human beings to grasp the mysteries of the universe. That's kind of scary. So I can't blame people for needing to believe that there's a loving god, that sinners will be punished and that death doesn't bring oblivion but eternal life in paradise. It must be really nice to believe that.
Thank you. I would love for people to convert to the Jesus, the God I know but I wouldn't try. I know that some the hearts are not prepared for it (I was once that way). Also, those who try to change the laws to Biblical Christian beliefs I think do that in error too-- the moral laws are for those in the church; non-believers will do what non-believers will do. For example, when Paul wrote his letters to the Corinthians, he was speaking to those in the church, to exhort those to be obedient to the God which they professed they believed in; he wasn't charging the Corinthians to go out and reform Corinth, but to reform those in the church.

Yes, it is such a peace of mind to believe in the God of the Bible--to know by faith of an ultimate justice and of a final resting place where there will be no pain and every tear will be wiped away by God Himself. I have had such sadness in my life by losing my husband so early at such a young age and I have not found any comfort in the world but Jesus. It brings me so much comfort to know that even though I do not understand it, everything in my life is working ultimately for good. It's definitely not easy to trust in God at times, but the faith He gave me allows me to trust Him above all other things.

I wish all would come to the Lord. All who are weary, who labor without rest. If only they would know Jesus. How much peace they would find. He is all I have in this world really. It is such a tiring, weary place. So much sorrow. Not just in my own life but in all the nonsense you read of/hear of that goes on. As I get older and death comes nearer I look so much to the resurrection of the dead and the blessed life of the world to come. How I wish all who are without Jesus in their life will also one day know His peace, a peace that only He can give.

Old 07-09-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I have not said you are lying. It is such a minor matter to lie about. I literally took your own word.

To a poster saying

Quote:
I used to think like that, as far as trying to think the same thoughts as or 'guess' what god must be thinking. You have to admit, as a ?Christian? (you sound like a Universalist, I can't remember) that humans have assigned human qualities to their 'god'. All of them.
You responded in one word

Quote:
Judaism.
I took that as a real response. You have also answered the poll as being Jewish.

I have no idea what to make of it any other way. I don't get sarcasm very well on line, if that is what it is.

Old 07-09-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I voted atheist/agnostic, but I respect all religions so long as their adherents are not trying to convert me or change laws to conform to religious beliefs that I don't share.

We live in a secular Democracy that is not inimical to religion, but rather friendly to all religions and grants it as a right to freely practice one's religion or none at all. We also have the right to freedom of expression and thought. Such a democratic state is complex and not perfect but it is better than any other place I can think of wanting to live in.
At one time there was prayer in public schools which some people, a minority at the time, wanted removed as it violated the constitution. We no longer have prayer in school. A minority won.

Quote:
I'll even admit that I'm actually envious of the faithful. They have the self-confidence and peace of mind that comes from believing they know all the answers to life's big questions: Why are we here? How should we live? What happens after we die? I have no idea, and I don't think it's even possible for mere human beings to grasp the mysteries of the universe. That's kind of scary. So I can't blame people for needing to believe that there's a loving god, that sinners will be punished and that death doesn't bring oblivion but eternal life in paradise. It must be really nice to believe that.

I don't think religion can answer all those questions to our satisfaction. What it can do is help us explore Who or What we are and why do we suffer. That is a more relevant question I think and a belief in a loving god is not going to solve the question of suffering. That sinners will be punished cannot really help us in our our own suffering.

Old 07-10-2023, 08:05 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Since you asked, the picture did not arouse any of those feelings or thoughts for me. It did not look like the universe, the cosmos, or God.

You mentioned you follow Judaism. Does Judaism tell you that God created all that for you?
Vedanta tells me Divinity simply IS, it is pure existence, un_created, is in everything and there is no place it does not exist. So I can hardly think of this unlimited, unborn, transcendent existence represented in a small rectangle of a picture. I think of this pure Existence, Knowledge and Joy as being in me, as my truth, my essence.

All knowledge is Divinity. There is no Atheist knowledge, Judaic knowledge, or Christian knowledge. There is just knowledge and it is Divinity.
Divinity has no vengeance.

If you are a Jew why don't you speak to us about what Jews believe instead of shaming a whole lot of Christians for what they may or may not believe?
I'm good with everything being "pure existence," but all the rest doesn't read like knowledge to me...

Someone claiming to follow Judaism, for example, does not a Jewish person make. Never fails to amaze me that people who love to claim knowledge, about religion in particular, can be so utterly confused about the difference between someone who believes in Judaism and someone who is Jewish. As if there is no difference.

Old 07-10-2023, 08:34 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Thank you. I would love for people to convert to the Jesus, the God I know but I wouldn't try. I know that some the hearts are not prepared for it (I was once that way). Also, those who try to change the laws to Biblical Christian beliefs I think do that in error too-- the moral laws are for those in the church; non-believers will do what non-believers will do. For example, when Paul wrote his letters to the Corinthians, he was speaking to those in the church, to exhort those to be obedient to the God which they professed they believed in; he wasn't charging the Corinthians to go out and reform Corinth, but to reform those in the church.

Yes, it is such a peace of mind to believe in the God of the Bible--to know by faith of an ultimate justice and of a final resting place where there will be no pain and every tear will be wiped away by God Himself. I have had such sadness in my life by losing my husband so early at such a young age and I have not found any comfort in the world but Jesus. It brings me so much comfort to know that even though I do not understand it, everything in my life is working ultimately for good. It's definitely not easy to trust in God at times, but the faith He gave me allows me to trust Him above all other things.

I wish all would come to the Lord. All who are weary, who labor without rest. If only they would know Jesus. How much peace they would find. He is all I have in this world really. It is such a tiring, weary place. So much sorrow. Not just in my own life but in all the nonsense you read of/hear of that goes on. As I get older and death comes nearer I look so much to the resurrection of the dead and the blessed life of the world to come. How I wish all who are without Jesus in their life will also one day know His peace, a peace that only He can give.
It is always a pleasure to come across people who have found a source of comfort like you have found...

Especially when it comes to dealing with some of life's challenges that are all too often seemingly impossible to bear. Like the loss of a loved one.

I find it interesting to consider how very comfortable I am with life as well, but as an atheist I have to wonder if it's just because I live a life far better than I deserve or because of the way I think about life. Our place in life. You write that "some hearts are not prepared for it" and that you were once that way.

A little disappointing to read, that it be about the heart rather than the mind for example, because that sounds as if I'm somehow cold-hearted or closed off from the feelings and emotions that bring people comfort and love. I'd be curious to know how you describe yourself before your heart became "prepared for it."

Old 07-10-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm good with everything being "pure existence," but all the rest doesn't read like knowledge to me...

Someone claiming to follow Judaism, for example, does not a Jewish person make. Never fails to amaze me that people who love to claim knowledge, about religion in particular, can be so utterly confused about the difference between someone who believes in Judaism and someone who is Jewish. As if there is no difference.
I don’t know how one can claim to be Jew-ish if Judaism- which is interdependent on culture and religion - did not exist? Can one claim to be Italian descendent if Italy did not exist? Atheists if theism did not?
I am totally confused. Please explain. Your understanding of Truth never fails to amaze me.
Psst. I dont claim knowledge, about religion in particular. Even those with doctorates in religion remain knowing only that one fraction of religion that they study. You of course are exceptional, the very ocean of religious knowledge. Please hold forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality