Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 07:15 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What do you think of pictures like this?
If you stare at it long enough I made out a bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 07:18 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If you stare at it long enough I made out a bird.
Lol, made me spill the wine, naughty, bad girl.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:30 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Ding Dong, the bullies are almost all gone, Ding dong, ding dong.

The picture is cool. Do you think cb would have a problem with it?

Old 07-04-2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Ding Dong, the bullies are almost all gone, Ding dong, ding dong.

The picture is cool. Do you think cb would have a problem with it?
O, I dont know, but I was curious what he thought.
Lot of people out there think the world is 6000 years old, but to me that pic says so much, the overwhelming feeling of being so trivial in such vastness that we cant even begin to get our head around, and yet, I would say humans are the diamonds of the universe being more precious than any gold.

See, if you believe in God and you look at that pic and you believe God created all that for you, why would a God that vast and powerful do away with a single one of us?

Just looking into andromeda is so vast that it explodes the brain, and then you see all those galaxies at every pin point in the sky. It just sounds like a silly idea that God is looking down with vengeance against a really intelligent Atheist astronomer scientist who might be figureing out how the universe works, how could he not be an agent of God who was supposed to be an Atheist?

If you believe in God, how can you not believe that the Atheist astronomer scientist wasnt supposed to be the genius Atheist Astronomer?

If there really is a God whose mind was made up to expand spirit by creating us after 14 billion years, why would God do away with a diamond that took so long to create. Meh, I am rambling but I dont think its really set in to what Hubbel did.

To me, that picture is life changing especially coming from a family that didnt believe the earth was even 7000 years old yet, I look at that picture and time suddenly no longer exists. There is a pretty good percentage of Christians who veer away from what they are seeing like they dont want to talk about an inconvenient truth the picture relays because it says a lot. A whole lot of Christians simply believe God just created everything the way it is now. Dinosaurs never lived, their bones were just put there.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:53 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
I think why is Flavous showing me this badly out of focus picture? I think is this a trick question? I think this picture is not worth a 1000 words,, no.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:44 AM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Frankly, as a Christian, I too find biblical literalists to be baffling.

IMO, some literalists are merely intellectually lazy or challenged. Literalists miss the forest through the trees IMO. They reduce extraordinary prose to childrens fairy tales.

For others, the stories or almost like the old nursery rhymes, that attempt to very simply introduce the listener to more complex truths.

I try to view the literalists with patience.

I can only hope they view my opinions similarly.

But to argue whether there are old boat timbers somewhere on top of a mountain in turkey, or exactly where is Eden or Sodom and on and on seems a profound waste of time. An argument I leave to more qualified historians and archeologists.
This ^^ agree and well-stated.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:31 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
O, I dont know, but I was curious what he thought.
Lot of people out there think the world is 6000 years old, but to me that pic says so much, the overwhelming feeling of being so trivial in such vastness that we cant even begin to get our head around, and yet, I would say humans are the diamonds of the universe being more precious than any gold.

See, if you believe in God and you look at that pic and you believe God created all that for you, why would a God that vast and powerful do away with a single one of us?

Just looking into andromeda is so vast that it explodes the brain, and then you see all those galaxies at every pin point in the sky. It just sounds like a silly idea that God is looking down with vengeance against a really intelligent Atheist astronomer scientist who might be figureing out how the universe works, how could he not be an agent of God who was supposed to be an Atheist?

If you believe in God, how can you not believe that the Atheist astronomer scientist wasnt supposed to be the genius Atheist Astronomer?

If there really is a God whose mind was made up to expand spirit by creating us after 14 billion years, why would God do away with a diamond that took so long to create. Meh, I am rambling but I dont think its really set in to what Hubbel did.

To me, that picture is life changing especially coming from a family that didnt believe the earth was even 7000 years old yet, I look at that picture and time suddenly no longer exists. There is a pretty good percentage of Christians who veer away from what they are seeing like they dont want to talk about an inconvenient truth the picture relays because it says a lot. A whole lot of Christians simply believe God just created everything the way it is now. Dinosaurs never lived, their bones were just put there.
Very nice post Hanni.

Carl Sagan said it best.

Quote:
ook again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
In the Universe we are insignificant indeed. Living on a planet that on a universal scale, is nothing but mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
https://www.planetary.org/worlds/pale-blue-dot

Old 07-05-2023, 08:45 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Very nice post Hanni.

Carl Sagan said it best.

In the Universe we are insignificant indeed. Living on a planet that on a universal scale, is nothing but mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
https://www.planetary.org/worlds/pale-blue-dot
Big fan of Carl Sagan here. What I wouldn't give to have a little chat with him. Especially about him and his belief in a god, albeit not the typical belief. Not quite an atheist...

"I think he would have been, you know, a desperately needed voice throughout these last six years, speaking fearlessly about the importance of reason of the rules of evidence and logic, and of course, of science."

"He found that that God was inadequate, and that, I think, one of the reasons he's so important 10 years later and that buildings all over the world are dedicated in his memory, is because he was a kind of - he was imagining a God that would be worthy of the revelations of science - one that would reflect what we know, not one that would be mired in a moment in time thousands of years ago, before we had the ability to interrogate nature."

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/6664194

An interesting read for those who think science has no place in this forum...

Old 07-05-2023, 09:25 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Big fan of Carl Sagan here. What I wouldn't give to have a little chat with him. Especially about him and his belief in a god, albeit not the typical belief. Not quite an atheist...

"I think he would have been, you know, a desperately needed voice throughout these last six years, speaking fearlessly about the importance of reason of the rules of evidence and logic, and of course, of science."

"He found that that God was inadequate, and that, I think, one of the reasons he's so important 10 years later and that buildings all over the world are dedicated in his memory, is because he was a kind of - he was imagining a God that would be worthy of the revelations of science - one that would reflect what we know, not one that would be mired in a moment in time thousands of years ago, before we had the ability to interrogate nature."

Sagan would have made a good Jesuit

Old 07-05-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Sagan was one of those people that if you erased him, we might all be dead lol, I sure know the intetest he brought came with all kinds of money for all kinds of technology, loved that dude.

Neil de Grasse cab go kick rocks, I was so freaked out excited waiting for his big show and he just ruined it inn the first 15 and I still havent watched him. I'm a big David Kipping fan, I have watched everything cool world labs twice, I mean that dude has some really good videos to start philosophy threads, he can go either way like playing a devil's advocate, he is so freaking smart, it would be heaven to be in his head for a while, I always wonder what its like to be that smart.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 07-05-2023 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality