Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 01:25 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Yes I have read that the likes of Ray Comfort has a Jewish mother.
He thus claims to be both an Evangelical Christian and Jewish.
Seems odd and counterintuitive, but it’s how they see it as.
I believe being Jewish is very American, and possibly a protective reaction to anti- semitism. Everywhere else those who follow the faith are just Jews. there is a small Jewish community in the state of Kerala in India. Everyone know them as Jews, they call themselves Jews, and the town is called Jew Town. No Jewish anywhere, maybe Yehudi in Urdu.
Hanni seems unclear as to why he changed from Jewish to Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 03:03 AM

8,343 posts, read 272,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I believe being Jewish is very American, and possibly a protective reaction to anti- semitism. Everywhere else those who follow the faith are just Jews. there is a small Jewish community in the state of Kerala in India. Everyone know them as Jews, they call themselves Jews, and the town is called Jew Town. No Jewish anywhere, maybe Yehudi in Urdu.
Hanni seems unclear as to why he changed from Jewish to Judaism.
As far as I know, most of those Indian Jews made aliyah (emigrated to Israel).
When I first went to Israel I met several who introduced me to the Ramayana.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
As far as I know, most of those Indian Jews made aliyah (emigrated to Israel).
When I first went to Israel I met several who introduced me to the Ramayana.
Possibly. Would be interesting to know if they qualified for the return. I know Jews From Ethiopia face some resistance. There are several prominent Indian Jews and a larger community in Mumbai.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:34 AM

8,343 posts, read 272,467 times
Quote:
Possibly. Would be interesting to know if they qualified for the return. I know Jews From Ethiopia face some resistance. There are several prominent Indian Jews and a larger community in Mumbai.
They were from Cochin, the Beneyisrael community.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
They were from Cochin, the Beneyisrael community.
Yes, we have visited the place and also the temple there. Met the rabbi.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:48 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Do you?
All Catholics are not Italians.
All Italians are not catholics.
There will be neither Italians nor Italian Catholics if Italy and Catholicism did not exist.
Again, no Theism, there will be no Atheism. Have you not pulled out your dictionary yet?
The Double Down Queen strikes again!

Thanks for the clarifications though! All Catholics are not Italians? All Italians are not Catholics? You don't say?

You are like a fountain of knowledge! I'll leave you be with all that, because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by it all...

Old 07-11-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The Double Down Queen strikes again!

Thanks for the clarifications though! All Catholics are not Italians? All Italians are not Catholics? You don't say?

You are like a fountain of knowledge! I'll leave you be with all that, because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by it all...
You are welcome. Take it easy and just let it all sink in and it will all be clear.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This is ridiculous. It is common knowledge that a person is Jewish if that person's mother is Jewish or if that person has converted to Judaism. This has been posted in this forum many, many times.

Hanni's views may have changed. Several people have said their views have changed since this poll was started, back in 2015.
Just for the sake of further clarification, for those not beyond ridiculous...

A person is Jewish if their mother is Jewish, according to the Torah. Which one may or may not consider applicable to them whether Jewish or not, and/or it's a little more complicated than most people realize...

"Orthodox Judaism and Conservative Judaism follow Jewish law (Halakha), deeming people to be Jewish if their mothers are Jewish or if they underwent a halakhic conversion. Reform Judaism and Reconstructionist Judaism accept both matrilineal and patrilineal descent as well as conversion. Karaite Judaism predominantly follows patrilineal descent as well as conversion.

Jewish identity is also commonly defined through ethnicity. Opinion polls have suggested that the majority of Jews see being Jewish as predominantly a matter of ancestry and culture, rather than religion." -- Wikipedia

I have a few friends, for example, who will explain they are Jewish according to Judaism, because they have a Jewish mother, but they will also make clear they are not followers of Judaism. Whether a person thinks themselves to be Jewish or declares themselves to be Jewish, or Catholic, or of some ethnic background really depends on what source of association they adopt, and/or what source of association some people will impose on others, but ultimately we are what we choose to be.

There are Catholics, for example, who will insist I am Catholic because I was baptized a Catholic and went through Holy First Communion. When my wife and I were looking for a church to marry us, I'll never forget how a Catholic priest explained I could be married in the church, but my wife having no Catholic background would have to go through some sort of church initiation process before he could marry us. Considering me, an atheist, to be a Catholic is also just ridiculous. According to who? Why? We married elsewhere.

Some are big on nationalism. Others on their religion. Ethnicity. More or less "tribal" in one way or another, but ultimately a rather subjective matter. Depending on who you ask...

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-11-2023 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-11-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Yes I have read that the likes of Ray Comfort has a Jewish mother.
He thus claims to be both an Evangelical Christian and Jewish.
Seems odd and counterintuitive, but it’s how they see it as.
All a matter of how people see it, and needless to say, very typically a matter of promoting the religion from one generation to the next regardless what people really believe or what they may DEEM themselves to be. No matter what they believe. Regardless what others may DEEM...

Old 07-11-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All a matter of how people see it, and needless to say, very typically a matter of promoting the religion from one generation to the next regardless what people really believe or what they may DEEM themselves to be. No matter what they believe. Regardless what others may DEEM...
Would this be DEEMED a word salad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality