Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Still different from baking a cake for the wedding. The judge ruled the shirt company did not have to print the logo. Had the organization just want generic type shirts PRINTED with out LGBT reference, the shirt company would have to print them...
Exactly what we have been saying all a long. If the cake was to have LGBT inscription, the baker could refuse the inscription, but NOT the actual baking of a cake without inscription or figures..
Just an example of how you have no problem changing the rules when it fits your agenda. It's the same flipping principle at play here. Forcing people to go against their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 02:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Just an example of how you have no problem changing the rules when it fits your agenda. It's the same flipping principle at play here. Forcing people to go against their beliefs.

Jeff

It has been explained to you over and over, the one is discriminating against a protected group and the other deciding what wording they will use. If a Christian went into a gay baker in Oregon and asked for a wedding cake the baker could not legally refuse to bake him one. If a gay person ordered and anti Christain t-shirt the t-shirt company could refuse to make it. It has nothing to do with sides and all to do with what anti discrimination laws mean and do. It is you that has an agenda which is making Christians into victims. I and others have shown you that these laws work the same way for you as for gays or blacks etc. In Oregeon I cannot refuse to sell products that I do sell to you just because you are a Christian but if I do make anti gay t-shirts for sale I cannot refuse to sell them to you or to gay people. How much simplier do you need it explained over and over again. You just refuse to accept any explaination and then repeat the same false claims again and again. Everyone can go back through this thread and see that the reason for how the laws work has been fully explained to you but you refuse to accept that and make the same false claim. The anti discrimination laws are to protect minorities from being denied services by those in the majority. There is not law that says you do not have to do things against your beliefs, I am sure most people would believe that taxes dollars are wasted and therefore one does not need to pay them.

Still waiting for you to clearify which morals you would accept to avoid the law and which you would not.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:01 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,885 times
Quote:
No, it's not.

In once case, you have a person refusing service all together.

In the other case, you refuse a particular design as it is not something they offer.

Below is a wedding cake. And a fancy one. What is "straight" or "homosexual" about it?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:06 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
No, it's not.

In once case, you have a person refusing service all together.

In the other case, you refuse a particular design as it is not something they offer.

Below is a wedding cake. And a fancy one. What is "straight" or "homosexual" about it?

Oh Caverunner, honey... I was with you until I saw the silk flower on that cake... That cake is flaming Gay!

And Faaaabulous!

-NoCapo

Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
Quote:
I simply don't want to see the existing rights guaranteeing freedom of religion to be diminished and destroyed, and it absolutely was here.
What religion was the store owner forced to convert to now that he's no longer allowed to be a Christian? Oh wait, nothing of the sort happened.

Quote:
From a moral standpoint, the baker did nothing wrong.
That is one opinion. As someone who wishes to see the influence of religion diminished, I implore you to continue telling people that you support religious-based discrimination against minorities. This will do more to harm the power of religion than anything I could say.

Quote:
They didn't discriminate because they had something against the individuals (unlike racism).
The baker kicked out the customer after the customer identified their sexual orientation. It is pretty obvious what the cause and effect is here.

Quote:
Countering with an example like "I won't provide you housing because it is against my religion" just isn't realistic
Why not? Why are there all sorts of laws against this behavior if it never happened?

Quote:
and I don't support discrimination for basic needs and services anyways even if you are a Christian.
Why not? What happened to not wanting those Christian landlords to express their religious freedom and be able to refuse to aid and abet the evil lifestyles of Jewish, gay or interracial couples?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Never in the history of our country has anyone been guaranteed the right to marry for love. Why now?
Another argument I hope radical Christian right-wingers repeat often and loudly. It'll do more than I can to turn reasonable people away from sympathizing with their views.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:29 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Another argument I hope radical Christian right-wingers repeat often and loudly. It'll do more than I can to turn reasonable people away from sympathizing with their views.
I think the "same sex marriage is a return to 'separate-but-equal' and segregation" argument took the cake.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think the "same sex marriage is a return to 'separate-but-equal' and segregation" argument took the cake.
Cute pun!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
A judge actually tossed out a bunch of similar right-wing extremist argument in an SSM case with "These arguments are not those of serious people". That's a pretty damning conclusion about how flimsy this junk is when it comes from an impartial professional source.

We're seeing the same level of discourse here, minus the $1000 an hour lawyer-type ability to BS. I think it is time to stop pretending that these sorts of bizarre rationalizations are anything worth worrying about and just let them be examples of people venting after they've realized they ended up on the losing side of history.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
I pay taxes that are used to fund war and kill millions of INNOCENT people, and I cannot with hold my taxes without facing a severe penalty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality