Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm beginning to think that you are the kind of Christian we can do business with.
Except: I'm not a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:50 AM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Lol! Nope, you're a Unitarian Universalist, with no doctrinal litmus test to filter new members though. So technically that makes you a member of a "fallen away" offshoot with historic roots in Christianity. The falling away started with unitarianism (denial of the Trinity) and universalism (embracing of universal reconciliation) and ended with a denial of generally accepted historic creeds.

Not that I don't approve ... but it's just reality.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:58 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
We all know, most of us anyway, that the whole concept of religion was developed as a mechanism to control the masses throughout time.

Well, quite honestly, society and humanity now sees religion for what it is, and the entire concept of a higher being and religion in general seems dated and silly. The fact that people still die in the name of their religion just highlights how absurd the whole thing is.

Does anyone agree with me that maybe it's just time to "cut the cord" and let it go?
Lots of charity work - helping fellow humans without any wish for pay back - volunteer work - practice of good ethics and following good morals - caring for Neighbour - be kind and polite to kids, elderly, women and fellow humans etc are still followed by millions of people in the name of "Religion".

You are; however, entitled to your opinion, which I respect.
So, perhaps next time when you are taken into an ER to get your life saved, you can deny care and asked to be moved somewhere else because the hospital could be a not-for profit organization with its name starting with St. Mary's or something.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Lots of charity work - helping fellow humans without any wish for pay back - volunteer work - practice of good ethics and following good morals - caring for Neighbour - be kind and polite to kids, elderly, women and fellow humans etc are still followed by millions of people in the name of "Religion".

You are; however, entitled to your opinion, which I respect.
So, perhaps next time when you are taken into an ER to get your life saved, you can deny care and asked to be moved somewhere else because the hospital could be a not-for profit organization with its name starting with St. Mary's or something.
Maybe he can take medical care wherever he has to and thank the doctors and scientists rather than an invisible guy in the sky.

Even when medical care is nominally given in the name of the invisible guy it still works because of medical science, not because of some sort of special magic unction from the spirit world.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:20 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Maybe he can take medical care wherever he has to and thank the doctors and scientists rather than an invisible guy in the sky.

Even when medical care is nominally given in the name of the invisible guy it still works because of medical science, not because of some sort of special magic unction from the spirit world.
Unfortunately, many Americans believe otherwise, and thus churches are better funded than medical science.

Ideas have consequences.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Unfortunately, many Americans believe otherwise, and thus churches are better funded than medical science.

Ideas have consequences.
Are they better funded than medical science? I suppose when you take it on a worldwide basis and include the Vatican and so forth, the budget of world religions might well dwarf the health care industry worldwide. Wouldn't surprise me. But we can't assume that funds that go to religion are diverted only from medical science. Or that overt funding is even the half of it. How much human energy and donated time go into one vs the other?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,976 times
Yes.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Are they better funded than medical science? I suppose when you take it on a worldwide basis and include the Vatican and so forth, the budget of world religions might well dwarf the health care industry worldwide. Wouldn't surprise me. But we can't assume that funds that go to religion are diverted only from medical science. Or that overt funding is even the half of it. How much human energy and donated time go into one vs the other?
I was thinking worldwide. If one only looked at the U.S., hopefully medical science would be the winner.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sorry. My mistake. Then you are the kind of Theist I can do business with - if you are a Theist rather than a Deist, for instance.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Sorry. My mistake. Then you are the kind of Theist I can do business with - if you are a Theist rather than a Deist, for instance.
Maybe you can think of him as a Christian except that he knows the stories are just stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality