Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Humanist morality - Hellfire?
I struggle to even think how humans could come up with this idea of suffering.
It is in the bible, but my take is it surely must be a last resort, and not for the masses.

Fire in revelation = destruction. The lake of fire = destroyed eternally.
Jesus is the one who will judge those to the lake of fire. Or to life everlasting in Gods kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:57 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
The Jehovah's Witnesses have closed that door many times by predicting the end of the world.

They have preached that other religions do not know their bible, and they used the scripture, This means everlasting life, taking in knowledge. and so you have changed this to mean that everyone must know the bible inside and out, yet even the Jehovah's Witnesses only know the bible as presented in the Watchtower. Other translations of this scripture says:

"This means everlasting life,+ their coming to know you,* the only true God,+ and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ."

Of course I don't believe that we have to take in any knowledge, as I believe that we all have immortality, that, were created that way.

You can't really know what Jesus taught or even if he ever existed. His message isn't new, it was taught by Buddha before that, and Buddha learned from other Buddhists and from the Hindu teachings. But what is more, much of what is written in the New Testaments was said of other Christs. It is an old story.

You listen to twisted words. The teachings of Jesus prove the JW teachers are correct. Those who not obey him are making the wrong choice. God set before all mankind-Deuteronomy 30:19-- Life or death--both will be everlasting.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That is the official Roman Catholic position. They believe they are the only true church and the rest of us are not "completed" or "true" or whatever it is that they say Christians. Does that bother you?
Yes, I'm aware of that. I am still not understanding the need to point that out to me. I was never Catholic, but I had Catholic friends growing up whose parents wouldn't let them come to my Sunday School or youth group with me. I have known Baptists who believe the same thing--they are the only true church and the only ones going to heaven. I knew old Dutch people growing up, some in the Reformed Church of America, some in the Christian Reformed Church--for which the difference in doctrine between the two escapes most people--who believed that THEIR church was the only "right" one and that they were the only ones going to Heaven.

It's one of the reasons I attend a church that DOESN'T claim to be the only "right" church. Or religion, for that matter.

No, it doesn't bother me personally beyond the wish that people would put aside their spiritual differences and concentrate on our commonalities, which I've been yammering on about for almost 16 years now.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
....snip...

No, it doesn't bother me personally beyond the wish that people would put aside their spiritual differences and concentrate on our commonalities, which I've been yammering on about for almost 16 years now.
A message well-worth continual yammering.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:05 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that. I am still not understanding the need to point that out to me. I was never Catholic, but I had Catholic friends growing up whose parents wouldn't let them come to my Sunday School or youth group with me. I have known Baptists who believe the same thing--they are the only true church and the only ones going to heaven. I knew old Dutch people growing up, some in the Reformed Church of America, some in the Christian Reformed Church--for which the difference in doctrine between the two escapes most people--who believed that THEIR church was the only "right" one and that they were the only ones going to Heaven.

It's one of the reasons I attend a church that DOESN'T claim to be the only "right" church. Or religion, for that matter.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A message well-worth continual yammering.
Got that right!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
As I said--that was not a command to all Christians to take a vow of poverty
and sell their belongings. It just isn't.
But it was an excellent indicator of the condition of that man's righteousness.
Not many people get that! That was very astute of you!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:43 AM

A quote from a wise Catholic Archbishop:
"God doesn't mind what postal service you use, so long as he gets the letter."

Old 08-09-2017, 05:11 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A quote from a wise Catholic Archbishop:
"God doesn't mind what postal service you use, so long as he gets the letter."
Love it!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:

Well stated. I believe I'm in agreement with you on most of that. Yes, there are differences in theology, and theology does matter, but by and large, denominations are largely becoming irrelevant today in many churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality