Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in ghosts and I think the concept falls into a religious realm because a ghost would supposedly be the soul or spirit of someone who has died. Atheists generally accept the fact that life is the result of the natural processes of evolution and that the life of an individual ends at death. The existence of ghosts would require a supernatural explanation that goes beyond biology. I can't conceive of any scientific or rational support for the existence of ghosts and I can't see how an atheist could believe in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Why not? The religous believe in god so why can the non religious believe in ghosts?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
[quote=steffan;2635417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
If ghosts existed, who's to say that a ghost is the soul of a dead person anyway? After all, "ghost" is just a term used for something whose nature is undetermined. If they exist, they're by default not supernatural, and there would be a scientific reason and an explanation for it.[/quot

actualy there is another explaination. It is posible that ghost are interdementional travelers from a noncaporeal universe without the same veiw of time as we have and there simply copying what they see, not truly reliezing how linear our exesitence is...... demons
Demons? That's just as unbelievable an explanation as dead souls floating around watching us. No, if the things that people call "ghosts" or "demons" exist, there's a non-supernatural explanation for it, and they're not the souls of dead people.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I have been an Atheist all my life.

I believe in ghosts.

But not the Holy Ghost.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
[quote=RoaminRed;2638964][quote=steffan;2635417]

Demons? That's just as unbelievable an explanation as dead souls floating around watching us. No, if the things that people call "ghosts" or "demons" exist, there's a non-supernatural explanation for it, and they're not the souls of dead people.[/quote/]
but another explanation none the less, sure there is some explaination for it, a supernatural one? well, that we are on a ball of rock floating in a vast void was and still is considered surenatural to many people. That all things are made of energy, how "supernatural" does that sound?
The universe does indeed operate on a strick set of rules and as long we can rise above our own arrogence and keep our minds open to the posibilieties we will discover more and more of what those rules are.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
[quote=steffan;2639953][quote=RoaminRed;2638964]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post

but another explanation none the less, sure there is some explaination for it, a supernatural one? well, that we are on a ball of rock floating in a vast void was and still is considered surenatural to many people. That all things are made of energy, how "supernatural" does that sound?
The universe does indeed operate on a strick set of rules and as long we can rise above our own arrogence and keep our minds open to the posibilieties we will discover more and more of what those rules are.
A cigarette lighter would seem supernatural to a Neanderthal. That doesn't mean it is.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
[quote=RoaminRed;2643849][quote=steffan;2639953]
Quote:

A cigarette lighter would seem supernatural to a Neanderthal. That doesn't mean it is.
exactly, and he might just think it was supernatural, (but I doubt it) untill you showed him how it works,

Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 PM

58 posts, read 80,888 times
An atheist doesn't believe in God. That is all. However, an atheist can believe in ghosts. Ghosts are a different subject than God.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
I'm an atheist and I'm willing to consider the possibility of ghosts. Haven't had an experience myself but have heard stories from people I consider credible sources, not people who are prone to being delusional, and so I keep an open mind.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 AM

140 posts, read 290,540 times
Default a walk in the words

[quote=steffan;2635417]
Quote:
If ghosts existed, who's to say that a ghost is the soul of a dead person anyway? After all, "ghost" is just a term used for something whose nature is undetermined. If they exist, they're by default not supernatural, and there would be a scientific reason and an explanation for it.[/quot

actualy there is another explaination. It is posible that ghost are interdementional travelers from a noncaporeal universe without the same veiw of time as we have and there simply copying what they see, not truly reliezing how linear our exesitence is...... demons
Spirits are there, not demons?
They are just there
The history of us the left behind?
but they are there
Demons ? The demon is the reality of a world without hope?
That nasty ****ty reality we all tend to accept and live in? And should not!!!!
We are spirit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality