Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering about what defines an athiest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Why not? An atheist doesn't believe in God, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ghosts. Although a ghost would suggest an ongoing spirit, I still think you could be an atheist.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Why not? I just don't believe in God or heaven and hell.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I agree, the only defining item for an atheist is non-belief in a god thing. After that there is no dogma, no rules, nothing else at all that defines any atheist.

Very simple. atheist = no god-thing.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
Wouldn't that make them an agnostic? To believe in something as spiritual as a ghost suggests something supernatural exists. I've always defined an atheist as some one who is a complete naturalist, and that there is nothing supernatural in this world.... and I think a ghost qualifies as supernatural.

An agnositc on the other hand, simply does not know or profess any religion. So I could see an agnostic believing in ghosts, but not atheists.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Wouldn't that make them an agnostic? To believe in something as spiritual as a ghost suggests something supernatural exists. I've always defined an atheist as some one who is a complete naturalist, and that there is nothing supernatural in this world.... and I think a ghost qualifies as supernatural.

An agnositc on the other hand, simply does not know or profess any religion. So I could see an agnostic believing in ghosts, but not atheists.
If ghosts existed, who's to say that a ghost is the soul of a dead person anyway? After all, "ghost" is just a term used for something whose nature is undetermined. If they exist, they're by default not supernatural, and there would be a scientific reason and an explanation for it.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Well I don't believe in ghosts but then again I have never met one.

I find it far more likely that a loved one that has passed away could (while on his way to another existance) try to contact me.

On the other hand christians believe in some omnipotent unseen puppet master who they have never met, have seen no evidence exists?

Honestly which is MORE likely.

I have considered the posibility that some people believe in reincarnation and it might actually be true, who knows? Again, until I have some evidence, I can't believe in that either.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
[quote=RoaminRed;2635093]If ghosts existed, who's to say that a ghost is the soul of a dead person anyway? After all, "ghost" is just a term used for something whose nature is undetermined. If they exist, they're by default not supernatural, and there would be a scientific reason and an explanation for it.[/quot

actualy there is another explaination. It is posible that ghost are interdementional travelers from a noncaporeal universe without the same veiw of time as we have and there simply copying what they see, not truly reliezing how linear our exesitence is...... demons

Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I don't believe in them at all. I do believe in situations in which your subconscious makes you think you're seeing some sort of "spectre" or phenomenon.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I don't believe in them at all. I do believe in situations in which your subconscious makes you think you're seeing some sort of "spectre" or phenomenon.

I agree, its alot more logical that peoples minds play tricks on them.

My Father AND my Grandmother would have to come and sit down and have a long conversation with me before I would believe and I would probably think I had lost my mind rather then they were ghosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality