Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
No one is denying that. You are attacking strawmen in order to dodge addressing the things people have actually written and said.
If you believe in the existence of time then you are not an Atheist anymore because "Time is God".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If you believe in the existence of time then you are not an Atheist anymore because "Time is God".
Your defining is so doesn't make it so, but carry on.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,901 times
Quote:
Which makes as much sense (that is to say: None) as saying "Well if you believe in the existence of Pork Pies then you are not an Atheist anymore because "Pork Pies are God".

See, we can all redefine words to manufacture a non-argument when we want. Not just you.

That said I do not actually identify myself with the term "Atheist" in the first place, and tend only to use that term when convenience of prose demands. Which is very rarely. So you manage to talk nonsense in not just one way, but two, in one sentence. Well done.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Similarly:

If you believe in the existence of a chili dog down at Sheetz, then you are not an atheist anymore because "a chili dog down at Sheetz is God."

That's the game. Move the goalposts so that God is redefined as something real like the universe, time, consciousness, light, energy, a Ginsu Knife, or a chili dog down at Sheetz.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Time is already in front of you. It's all around you. You are locked in t. There is no need to be shown it to you if you can't comprehend it.

You can deny the existence of time as much as you like but it won't make time cease to exist.
thats right, any more than it makes it anything other then state changes. States changes, if regular, are what we call time.

So, the fundy's god, like time, is not what they think it is. Its far more probable that something is there, just not fundymental omni thingie.

An easier example is a rainbow. Its like a hologram picture. its there, its just does not do what they think it does. Fundymentals is based on personal meaning. Some milli-mental atheist use personal meaning to self justify or gain friendly head nods..

both nothing more than how they want the universe to work. For some reason they can't handle "how the universe works" without them at the center.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Your defining is so doesn't make it so, but carry on.
I really don't understand this. ^^

The OP asked about definition of God in your own terms.

I said, Time is God.

From this statement, an Atheist should be able to deny the existence of "time" on the same principles/ideas/logic/research/proofs, that he uses to deny the existence of God.

How hard would that be?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
I really don't understand this. ^^

The OP asked about definition of God in your own terms.

I said, Time is God.

From this statement, an Atheist should be able to deny the existence of "time" on the same principles/ideas/logic/research/proofs, that he uses to deny the existence of God.

How hard would that be?

We can measure time, just like we can measure speed. Tell me how we would measure a god?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Which makes as much sense (that is to say: None) as saying "Well if you believe in the existence of Pork Pies then you are not an Atheist anymore because "Pork Pies are God".

See, we can all redefine words to manufacture a non-argument when we want. Not just you.

That said I do not actually identify myself with the term "Atheist" in the first place, and tend only to use that term when convenience of prose demands. Which is very rarely. So you manage to talk nonsense in not just one way, but two, in one sentence. Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Similarly:

If you believe in the existence of a chili dog down at Sheetz, then you are not an atheist anymore because "a chili dog down at Sheetz is God."

That's the game. Move the goalposts so that God is redefined as something real like the universe, time, consciousness, light, energy, a Ginsu Knife, or a chili dog down at Sheetz.
Since this thread is about defining GOD...could either of you (or anyone) substantiate a claim that "Pork Pies", "A Chili Dog Down at Sheetz", or "A Ginsu Knife" comport with any of the known expert definitions of "G-O-D"?
On the other hand, "ALL/EVERYTHING" certainly comports with the known expert definition of "G-O-D"...as "ALL" is unequivocally "Something of Supreme Value". Annnnnnd...it objectively exists.
Thus...GOD!!! And, since GOD has now been substantiated to objectively exist, Atheism is rendered null & void.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,901 times
^ Why would I substantiate a claim I do not actually make? At least try to make SOME sense just this one time.

I do not define pork pies as god. I said what the user did is as sensible as defining pork pies as god.

Merely taking something, like "Time" or "Pork Pies" and saying "That is god" is a linguistic move the user is making, and nothing more.

Certainly atheism is neither nulled, nor voided, by defining a god that atheism is not in opposition to. IF you want to call "all of everything" "god" then so be it, you simply have language issues, but that is not the "god" atheism is defined against. Most, if not all, atheists will tell you that when they say they harbor no belief in a god..... they mean an intelligent, intentional agency that explains the existence of the "all of everything". Not the all of everything itself.

But of course you know all that, having been told it 100s of times before. You just pretend to forget what you have been told so you can go from new thread to new thread espousing the same nonsense again.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We can measure time, just like we can measure speed. Tell me how we would measure a god?

You don't know the start of time and you don't know the end of time. No sir, you can't "measure"' the entire time. You only percieve a part of it.

And since Time is God, when you perceive TIME, you are perceiving God. Remember, Time is God.

But, are you saying, Time is not God?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 09-29-2016 at 12:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality