Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why limit God's creative power? Why not just say that God created the entire universe five minutes ago, complete with memories and recorded history of a completely unreal past?

If we're going to be creationists, let's go full-bore.
Yea, why not? He can create and bury a bunch of dinosaurs to fool us, so how do we know we weren't born 5 minutes ago? He could have put the memories there to fool us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:02 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yea, why not? He can create and bury a bunch of dinosaurs to fool us, so how do we know we weren't born 5 minutes ago? He could have put the memories there to fool us!
Yes, exactly.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:07 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well that's if they actually got their dating correct to begin with and how they achieved that date. You are talking about the wrong god. God is not "god." Please try again.
Really? That's the best you can do is it?
'God is not "god." Please try again.'
That's pathetic even for you. Basing a rebuttal on the capitalization of a word...

Clearly I've been wasting my time since you are only interested in nursery school age arguments.

And yes, many dating methods are accurate to within around +/- 20 million years which is pretty good going for a 4.5 Billion year geologic timescale.

Quote:
Who said God started with simple organisms? Though this is from a Christian web site, it raises many questions concerning life beginning with simpler life forms:
How Did Life Begin?

This is from their web site:

"INSUFFICIENT TIME FOR CREATION OF EVEN SIMPLEST ORGANISMS
Evolutionists claim that the evolutionary process occurred over billions of years, so they feel there was
plenty of time to make all the necessary trial combinations and eventually get the correct ones. Let's
test this theory for "Fred".
Astronomers estimate the universe to be less than 30 billion years old, which is 1018 seconds. Let's
assume that it takes a billionth of a second for components to combine to form a trial 100 component
"Fred". Let's also assume that the number of electrons in the universe, 1080, is representative of the
number of basic components available for trial combinations of "Fred". This would allow 1078 trial
combinations of 100 component "Fred" to occur at a time. With these assumptions, from the origin of the
universe until today, 10105 trial combinations could be made (1018 x 109 x 1078). Unfortunately, to be
sure to get a functioning "Fred" we would need 10158 combinations. The chance of one of our 10105
combinations being the correct, functioning "Fred" is approximately one chance in one hundred million
billion billion billion billion billion (1 in 1053). It would take over three billion billion billion billion billion billion
billion years to try all the possible combinations to be sure to create Fred. Written out, that's over 3,
000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000,
000 years. There hasn't been nearly enough time to create even simple "Fred" in the universe's supposed
30,000,000,000 years of existence! "
Here I came across this for you.
It's a paper called 'Radiometric dating. A Christian Perspective'. by Dr Roger Weins
He works for NASA's Space and Atmospheric Science Division
It maybe a little outdated now since it was last updated in 2002, but you might learn something.

Radiometric Dating

Not that I expect you to make any attempt to look at it.
So I'm done with this.
I'm not interested in wasting any more of my time.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Is this one of those "I don't understand science, but will post something from creationist sites in order to prove that I am right. When challenged I won't attempt to prove my point, but rather ask you to disprove my point." threads?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Is this one of those "I don't understand science, but will post something from creationist sites in order to prove that I am right. When challenged I won't attempt to prove my point, but rather ask you to disprove my point." threads?
In a nutshell. Eusie has no clue how evolution works, so he claims it is false because, you know, God. Then says, "Prove without any doubt at all, without using any words like seems, looks like, etc, that evolution is real. Show me proof of all transitions from a single cell to present day humans. anything short of that isn't proof." Then why asked to prove he is right, he says, "The Bible. And for good measure, here is a clearly biased Christian blog that says you are wrong."

Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
In a nutshell. Eusie has no clue how evolution works, so he claims it is false because, you know, God. Then says, "Prove without any doubt at all, without using any words like seems, looks like, etc, that evolution is real. Show me proof of all transitions from a single cell to present day humans. anything short of that isn't proof." Then why asked to prove he is right, he says, "The Bible. And for good measure, here is a clearly biased Christian blog that says you are wrong."
No evidence is better than very strong (but imperfect) evidence. At least in the mind of a creationist.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah, that's Eusie's MO.

Everybody else has to provide proof -- which, of course, he will not read or attempt to understand -- but he gets to tell fairy tales.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
No evidence is better than very strong (but imperfect) evidence. At least in the mind of a creationist.
Exactly. I love how he keeps saying that it takes a lot of faith to believe in evolution (lots of evidence. may not be perfect, but it is much better than his alternative), like it doesn't take faith to believe god made people out of dirt (This requires no evidence, according to Eusie, because there is no evidence)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yeah, that's Eusie's MO.

Everybody else has to provide proof -- which, of course, he will not read or attempt to understand -- but he gets to tell fairy tales.
You could ask Eusie for proof HE was real and he wouldn't provide it. Actually, he would probably ask you to prove he wasn't.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:12 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Why limit God's creative power? Why not just say that God created the entire universe five minutes ago, complete with memories and recorded history of a completely unreal past?

If we're going to be creationists, let's go full-bore.
Why not say it? Because God didn't create the entire universe five minutes ago. No one but you believes that.

If we are going to be creationists, let's believe the Scriptures for they speak the truth.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:17 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Really? That's the best you can do is it?
'God is not "god." Please try again.'
That's pathetic even for you. Basing a rebuttal on the capitalization of a word...
Well, if you want any respect from me, capitalize "God" out of respect. The term "god" in the Bible is reserved for people and false gods of wood and stone.

Quote:
Clearly I've been wasting my time since you are only interested in nursery school age arguments.
Clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
And yes, many dating methods are accurate to within around +/- 20 million years which is pretty good going for a 4.5 Billion year geologic timescale.
Really?

Quote:
Here I came across this for you.
It's a paper called 'Radiometric dating. A Christian Perspective'. by Dr Roger Weins
He works for NASA's Space and Atmospheric Science Division
It maybe a little outdated now since it was last updated in 2002, but you might learn something.

Radiometric Dating

Not that I expect you to make any attempt to look at it.
So I'm done with this.
I'm not interested in wasting any more of my time.
I haven't read it. But you might GOOGLE "fossil dating inaccurate." Not that I expect you to make any attempt to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality