Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still people read the Bible and get saved
If you can't be sure the bible is accurate, how do you know the bible's claim that people are being saved is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:21 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I took a college World religion class taught by an ordained minister. He got a lot wrong too.
Ah … Well, then … LOL X 3 ...

Old 11-28-2015, 07:23 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Ah … Well, then … LOL X 3 ...
Do you preach the old lie about the soul going to heaven when you die or what the Bible says? The Bible says that the soul stays with the body until the second coming.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post

Do you preach ...
Yes, I do preach sermons in various appropriate occasions … (Just today I officiated a funeral, e.g. …)

But I am officially*retired now after 40+ years in ministry, so I don't generally preach every Sunday anymore ..

I am a very traditional pastor in that my homilies are almost always based on one or more of the readings assigned by the lectionary … (which was one of the Church-wide bases for determining The Canon, BTW, i.e., the question of which books will be read among us on The Lord's Day …)

Why do you ask … ???

Old 11-28-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post

If you can't be sure the bible is accurate, how do you know the bible's claim that people are being saved is true?
What do you mean by "accurate" … and "true" … ???

Old 11-28-2015, 11:14 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

What would one feel that there is a desire to find a god?

Different people may get this call by different ways. However, the call usually comes from within oneself.

There could be other scenarios but some people may ponder upon the following questions, and they are not fully satisfied by some of the available answers by non-believers.

Where do I come from? Who created me? What am I doing on this earth? What's the purpose of my life? Where am I going from here?

Some other people, for example, may just happen to look at this tiny little voice box in the human throat, and wonder, is it really a coincidence that this tiny little device that looks the same in all humans, produces 7 billion unique voices each attached only to each individual person?
Isn't there a single counter co-incidence that this little box could have coincidentally produced two exact same voices in two different human beings? 7 Billion humans beings and ALL have different and unique scent? Not a single coincidence where two humans have the same scent?

Other's may think, On one hand I am free to do whatever I want to do because it's "my life", but at the same time, I can't live without food and water for a few days, I can't jump off a cliff and defy gravity, I can't stop my lungs from breathing air, I can't stop my heart from beating, Why don't I have a control over my birth/arrival and departure from this world?.. Heck!! I can't even stop my self from blinking for about half an hour.

All these kind of questions opens up the possibility in one's mind that perhaps there is someone else who is in the absolute control, and I am only a subject to that force?

And once a person starts accepting that, he starts a journey, if he wishes, to find that "someone else".

Quote:
And which god?
Yes, very good question.

Once when the above scenario happens, and the blue text above is the case, then the person starts a journey to find that someone.

Again, different people have different ways of doing it. IMO, following is the best way to finish this journey.

You start off with setting up a criteria. And the criteria is, A Religion and it's God will be judged by it's book/holy scriptures.

Then you start looking at the available religions. Go through each one of them if you wish, or do a pick and choose in any order you wish, but make sure to treat all of them without any pre-conceived bias.

Start reading it's holy text, and periodically ask yourself this question while you study and analyze the message.

"Is it the truth"?

And let your heart honestly answer the question.

If you have further questions or need clarification on some points, then ask a believer of that faith who is a subject matter expert. Just like if you have a medical or health related question you go to a doctor/HealthPro, and not the person who does a great job in repairing your shoes but claims to have read a million books on the subject of medical science.

IMO, this method will pretty quickly and very effectively, help you go through the journey before you reach your destination.

As I said before, it starts with a desire to find that someone.
We all have intelligence, logic and common sense to research. And we use these tools in many, many events in our lives to reach well informed decisions based on free will.

Just like I replied to you in the other thread, Mr. Alexander Vilikens, had a desire to find the beginning of universe. He already knew he won't be able to see the start of universe with his own eyes. So he used his intelligence, logic and research in an effort to see the signs and connect the dots to finally put his faith into something.

I guess journey of faith is not a whole lot different.
Before the journey starts, the person already knows that he won't be able to see God, but he can use his intelligence and logic to see the signs and connects the dots to put his faith into something.

In the end, we are responsible for our choices and our decisions made on free will.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Yes, I do preach sermons in various appropriate occasions … (Just today I officiated a funeral, e.g. …)

But I am officially*retired now after 40+ years in ministry, so I don't generally preach every Sunday anymore ..

I am a very traditional pastor in that my homilies are almost always based on one or more of the readings assigned by the lectionary … (which was one of the Church-wide bases for determining The Canon, BTW, i.e., the question of which books will be read among us on The Lord's Day …)

Why do you ask … ???
Obviously you don't get to Biblical if you refer to the Sabbath, which most Christians don't keep, as the Lord's Day. There's nothing in the Bible that uses that nomenclature.

My Sunday reading?

I preferred to read ancient books that actually have relevance.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Biblical if you refer to the Sabbath, which most Christians don't keep, as the Lord's Day. There's nothing in the Bible that uses that nomenclature.

see: Revelation to John 1: 10 …

(I will be going to Sunday Mass in a bit less than an hour from now …)

Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:

The Bible has been changed and altered over the years - Business Insider

The bible keeps changing, and no one knows what it really was suppose to have included, especially the NT.

It IS true that before The Canon was (mostly) "set," The Canon hadn't been "set" -- yet …

(duh)

Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
see: Revelation to John 1: 10 …

(I will be going to Sunday Mass in a bit less than an hour from now …)
I've been corrected.

That being said however the Ten Commandments say to keep the Sabbath. Most Christians do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality