Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
Yup! The main reason behind it is language. Since the Latin Vulgate, the Bible has had most of the words mistranslated, especially the names of the people in the Bible and because of this the story of the Bible have a lot of holes in it. Though the message and history is still true in essence, you're getting half-truths. Btw the NT is a book based mostly on Paul's teachings not Yahusha.
The best translations of today are not based on the Latin Vulgate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:39 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Oddly enough, I tend to agree with Vizio on this one. I'm not sure I would rely on a business website for expert commentary on the bible.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
The thing about what you said is that hardly anyone speaks German, secondly the evangel is still not a way to the complete understanding of scripture, Semitic languages can translate each other the same way Celtic and Anglo languages can translate and languages can. However the words cannot transliterate in what the Semitic language(s) says. Simple linguistics.
Lots of Europeans speak German. I believe it is required to be able to speak French and German if one wants to live and work in Switzerland depending in what part of Switzerland one wants to live and work in. There are 92,000,000 people who speak German.

Concerning the evangel, I was making the point that one can understand he evangel in the Scriptures even in poor translations.

Quote:
So since that being the case, these Bibles aren't able to tell the full history of the Hebrew people (the scriptures; Bible). Of course you can give a basic interpretation of canon, but it's not a transliteration. Even though it's from a different perspective the Quran can give a more detailed history of the Hebrew people.
The bible was not meant to tell the "whole history of the Hebrew people."

It wouldn't make sense to anyone not conversant in Greek to have their language completely transliterated into a different language. Yes, we do transliterate certain names and places in the bible into other languages. But you wouldn't do that with every Greek word in the New Testament. Maybe you were thinking of another word other than "transliterate"?

We aren't talking about the Quran. We are talking about "your version of the bible."

Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

The way the bible is altered is by translations from the native language into the foreign language. There is always some loss in translation. For instance, English does not have much of a middle voice so, in the Concordant Literal New Testament we show the middle voice by the symbol of a small circle with a dot in the middle. In the German language they do have a middle voice.

It also should be told that humans are prone to err. The copyists in the first centuries after Christ would make copies of the original letters/books in the NT. There is what is known as copyist errors. However there were copyists who were correctors as well and they would put the correction in the margin.

We are very confident that what we have today of the originals is perfectly good enough for anyone wanting to know the evangel and all things pertaining to it.

Good enough? Don't tempt me please, with coming with examples of what "good enough" human behavior as the result may be.

Also, kudos to Islam in that respect. Or, to Judaism. Word of God is unchanged through millennia.

When was it that humans got clearance to "interpret" the word of God? Or translate it? Oh, but it is done for better understanding of the word so that every language can learn it? Do you understand that god understands and knows every language in every corner of the world? And that HIS word has power when spoken "as is", as it was given, regardless of human "understanding" it?
What is better - change the word of god, or learn the language it was given in to completely accept it?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Good enough? Don't tempt me please, with coming with examples of what "good enough" human behavior as the result may be.

Also, kudos to Islam in that respect. Or, to Judaism. Word of God is unchanged through millennia.

When was it that humans got clearance to "interpret" the word of God? Or translate it? Oh, but it is done for better understanding of the word so that every language can learn it? Do you understand that god understands and knows every language in every corner of the world? And that HIS word has power when spoken "as is", as it was given, regardless of human "understanding" it?
What is better - change the word of god, or learn the language it was given in to completely accept it?
God does not require everyone who wants to know the truth in the Scriptures to be a Greek or Hebrew scholar.

In Acts, those upon whom the holy spirit fell spoke in the different languages to those nearby. So, according to the Scriptures, we are to speak to people in their own languages and that goes for translations so they can understand.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Should I really expect a website called "businessreader" to provide expert commentary on the Bible?
It didn't purport to be expert commentary. It was a short video about the Bible, as we know it today, being a book culled from different sources. Its contents changed over the years.

Id guess the business angle stems from the fact that Bible sales make a LOT of money for the publishers and sellers. It looked like something that would be used at a book sellers convention. They don't use Spielberg for those.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-18-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It didn't purport to be expert commentary. It was a short video about the Bible, as we know it today, being a book culled from sources that changed Its content over the years.
And the video was woefully inaccurate.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 PM

360 posts, read 234,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
How can you be so sure that God was the one influencing the authors? Couldn't Satan have been just as capable of fooling themy into writing and following his agenda?

Perhaps we could get God to spare a moment of his infinite time to clarify and make sure we didn't get it wrong?
I agree, maybe Satan did influence the NT. I say that based on my understanding of Jesus. Jesus was really God, not the son of God. It would be a coup for Satan to change meanings in order to turn Jews away from God and Judaism. Assuming Jesus was God and came into the world for Jews, not a new religion, we would have a different world. Perhaps, there would be less Anti-Semitism, which would mean greater protection for Jews throughout the world. My theory is God (Jesus) came into the world to clarify his commandments, and thus create a better relationship with his chosen people.

I've researched these issues and have found some support. As an example, you find no mention of the son of God or the crucifixion of Jesus in early gospels, or those written immediately after the death of Jesus. Those ideas popped up about thirty years after his death. I believe Jesus was God, whom I believe is a duality (see my thread and postings about God's duality). From the beginning of God's decision to make Jews His chosen people Satan has made one attempt after another to upset everything. He even created a new religion to attack Jews. Was that really Gabriel in the cave with Mohammad? Could it have been Satan pretending to be one of God's angels? Satan is incredible clever, he will do anything to oppose God and attack His chosen people. Satan had a field day with Hitler's campaign to destroy European Jews. Why would he cease efforts to destroy them? Now, we have Jews surrounded by enemies dedicated to the destruction of Israel. Until the end of humanity, Satan will be at war with God's chosen people, and he will use any means to destroy them.

Last edited by earl012; 11-22-2015 at 10:37 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Are you suggesting that Satan is cleverer than God? That could be considered quite possible, after all, are it not the Christians (mostly the fundamentalists) who are doing the most damage to mankind (in the west anyway)? Other fundamentalists hold the title in other parts. Clever bugger that devil of yours.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Should I really expect a website called "businessreader" to provide expert commentary on the Bible?
Of course not. Everyone knows that expert commentary on work of any religious literature could only come from a true Christian believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality