Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:32 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,567,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
What exactly is your definition of persecution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 03:33 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Please explain how you are being 'prosecuted'.

Please explain how you 'can't even go public' with your beliefs.

Of course, both assertions are complete nonsense. You're not being prosecuted. And you're free to go public with your beliefs. You're simply meeting a very modest level of pushback. And you've decided that any level of disagreement at all is prosecution and a lack of freedom. This is indicative nothing but a very robust persecution complex on your part.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:26 AM

1,248 posts, read 829,825 times
Ah, the poisecution again.

OP, admit it, you WANT to feel persecuted. And you want it because the Bible says that all true Christians will be, thus if you are not persecuted, you are not a real Christian. Been there, done that. But thanks to the modern secular freedoms you will not find yourself thrown to the lions for your obnoxious meddling with other people's souls.

Actually, OP, I have an idea for you. You can go to the Middle East and do your preaching there. You may just find what you desire. Just be warned: if you are scared now, you will be terrified to death later.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:37 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,692,434 times
Something about "Freedom of Religion".... or something like that.

I don't want to be muslim either.

My life.

My choice.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,293,240 times
Quote:
Your subject title needs a bit of work, unless you intended to post it in the Christian part of the forum. Muslims are just as annoying when they proselytize, as Christians are. I lived in NYC, and I've had members of both clubs try to do their number on me. Two peas out of the same pod, trust me.

As for "persecution," I think the major persecution that a proselytizing Christian encounters is, "I'm not interested, thank you." On a bad day it might run to "Stuff that crap, honey!" In either case...calling it persecution is a stretch.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:45 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,225,553 times
Quote:
The purpose of the negative reactions is to get you to ask questions. Then you try to get different points-of-views. Finally, you get an answer, which hopefully will lead to a solution that works for you.

Just keep in mind that negative reactions don't tell you what to do, just what not to do.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,137,491 times
You aren't being persecuted. You are a member of the countries dominant religion, there are 450,000 churches in the USA, when in comparison there are only 14,000 Mcdonalds restaurants, and those things are everywhere. There are christian schools, universities, radio and TV stations.

You are simply having your sales pitch refused, perhaps your beliefs are mocked by some for being irrational. That isn't persecution by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,756,288 times
Christians complaining about being persecuted when Dominionism in the United States is criticized is identical in almost every way to Caucasians complaining about being "persecuted" when White Privilege in the United States is criticized, and is identical in almost every way to rich people complaining about being "persecuted" when their exercise of unjust economic power is criticized.

As those with excessive power, it is reprehensible to actually complain when the level of injustice that benefits you is reduced.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:16 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,644,986 times
Quote:

How about offering something practical to the person having a hard time. Spend some time with them. Offer practical solutions. Pick up the phone, and keep up with them to see they are okay in the coming weeks. Keep in touch with them.

If you are simply telling them about God, then you are really not offering anything but lip service. God does not like lip service.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:29 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,587,990 times
Why aren't Christians allowed to tell people about the greatness of God without being persecuted?

Claiming that only you have the true message and being corrected is hardly being persecuted. You own actions tell you that you are persecuted while in fact you are only being disputed. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality